Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:26 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times

Advertisements

My advice? Unless you're trying to build your credit from scratch, don't go through Drivetime. Their cars are just fine, but they cost more than Bluebook.

Last edited by kehkou; 03-13-2015 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 07:39 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Kelley Blue Book, a trusted guide for years. Their website: Kelley Blue Book - New & Used Car Price Values

Old 03-13-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Kelley Blue Book, a trusted guide for years. Their website: Kelley Blue Book - New & Used Car Price Values
I tried to get a Drivetime car refinanced at ...(sigh) Nusenda... but I still owe more than its worth. 06 Sonata, cost me $18k. According to the website mine is only worth $5,420.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I tried to get a Drivetime car refinanced at ...(sigh) Nusenda... but I still owe more than its worth. 06 Sonata, cost me $18k. According to the website mine is only worth $5,420.
Kelley Blue Book has been recognized by both consumers and the automotive industry for a long time, since 1918... It is a good reference.

Refinancing used cars is expensive. Even worse if you paid too much. It's called an "upside-down car loan"...

I never dealt with Drivetime. There website https://www.drivetime.com/Info/AboutUs says "DriveTime Automotive Group is the nation’s largest subprime used car dealer and finance network, helping people with credit issues find and finance the perfect used vehicle."

Old 03-13-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Refinancing used cars is expensive. Even worse if you paid too much. It's called an "upside-down car loan"...
I knew going into it that I would pay more than Blue Book value, but I didn't think they would deny me a refinance on it because of that. It sounds like they did me a favor.

Anyway, I also did it to avoid the shady dealers in town, got swindled once in TX, and from what I've been told, the lot on Fortuna next to West Mesa High and Blake's is, well, less than reputable.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:40 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Used cars here are largely the same as you'd find anywhere. The intense sunlight coupled with freezing temperatures will create unique patterns in some paint jobs.
One reason I traded after 11 years, in spite of no problems with the car to date, is the finite life of plastic components. Constant exposure to strong sunlight (UV) and the sun's heating effects accelerate the failure rate of both tires and plastic components, such as headlight/tail light housings, etc.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:53 AM

212 posts, read 538,699 times
I bought 3 different used cars over my 4+ years in ABQ. It takes a while for me to find one I'm happy with for the long term. I found the local dealers to be difficult to deal with and ended up buying a car in Denver and then another car in rural western Kansas. I got the exact model with options I wanted and like new condition at a very fair price from that small town Kansas dealer. I've found dealers in small towns to generally be better/nicer people vs bigger city dealers. Carmax offered me a laughably low amount for my car on trade in ($3500 I believe) and I ended up selling it to a private party on Craigslist for $6200. Whenever possible, I'd say avoid dealers and try to buy from a private owner not a dealer.
Also as for ABQ, invest in a roll-up sun shade to keep on your windshield while you park in the sun. And nice dark tint, I'd say 10% tint on back windows, and 20% on the front windows. This will keep the interior from roasting.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Thank you for the information. As I said we will be visiting at the end of April. We will be spending most of our time in T or C to thaw out from this winter. Then we will spend a couple of days in Albuquerque visiting museums and riding the tram.

I have an old Buick that is rusting out from our heavy use of salt every winter. I thought I would look at a few used cars, as well as checking craigslist, while we were there. My interest is in cars about 10 years old with around 100k miles on the clock. I buy them, do the needed repairs and keep them until the rust demon eats them.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:19 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
One thing I found out the hard way with is that a clean Carfax doesn't necessarily mean the car has not been in an accident. It may just not have been reported. I bought a car--which did run ok--but it had had body work done very cheaply. I leaned on a fender a little too hard and it dented..
I've heard that AutoCheck (AutoCheck Vehicle History Reports Homepage - A Part of Experian.) looks at more databases than CarFax. Of course even that won't list accidents/repairs that aren't reported.

Quote:
In my experience NADA values tend to be more accurate. New Car Prices & Used Car Values - NADAguides

Old 03-16-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
In my experience NADA values tend to be more accurate. New Car Prices & Used Car Values - NADAguides
Good point. Thanks. I never thought of them, but used them when I briefly worked at a car lot for a dealership (1967?). I guess they are on the "Internet" now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: