Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,196,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbus2abq View Post
Whenever possible, I'd say avoid dealers and try to buy from a private owner not a dealer.
I agree if by "dealer" we are talking about "used car lots/dealers."

But I have less trepidation about buying a used car off the lot of a NEW car dealer, simply because they don't usually bother with resales unless the car traded in is in like new condition. Also NEW car dealers put more effort into making sure the used vehicles they sell are thoroughly reconditioned/detailed.

For example: I know dealers that will put new tires on the used car before selling it even though the tires as traded in "appear" in near-new condition with almost full tread remaining. It has to do with the age of the tires, rather than the wear on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 05:46 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,511,517 times
Thanks for the resources. I've heard good and bad about carmax. Seems like they're not as good as they used to be. I'll continue my craigslist search then...

Old 03-17-2015, 04:11 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,550,457 times
I'll second joqua's emotion. The '11 Kia Soul I bought from an El Paso Kia dealer was a 3 y/o car when I bought it last year but was in really good operating condition and clean as a thistle as well.

Buying a used car from a dealer is preferred in my opinion.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:59 PM

38 posts, read 43,632 times
I had really good experience buying used cars from Perfection Honda dealership.
To check the value of a used car I use the Texas DMV site, this site accesses an auction site to get the value. You will have to pay a bit more than the value listed on the site since its a wholesale price, but it is a good indicator.

TXDMV.GOV - Standard Presumptive Calculator

Old 03-20-2015, 05:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,196,472 times
Since no one has mentioned the pricing guide that many car dealers themselves use, I guess I will:

Why Black Book® It's the independent service that dealers use every day to price trades. Black Book is an on-line leader when it comes to used car appraisals. In fact, the Black Book pricing is what a majority of dealers use for pricing trade-ins.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,922,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Since no one has mentioned the pricing guide that many car dealers themselves use, I guess I will:

Why Black Book® It's the independent service that dealers use every day to price trades. Black Book is an on-line leader when it comes to used car appraisals. In fact, the Black Book pricing is what a majority of dealers use for pricing trade-ins.

So do you recommend the $50 per month or $468 per year subscription? Or do you go through dealers to get some ideas and quotes?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 PM

38 posts, read 43,632 times
Black book value is nothing but average auction price. The link I posted gives you the auction price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: