Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 869,881 times

Advertisements

I want the opinion of UNM graduates, students, etc. Do you think UNM is a good college? If money weren't an option would you still have gone there and is the degree respected enough to find work (preferably out of state)?
A lot of people on the forum have said to focus on the degree program and not the school as whole. What are the current rankings of the Anderson program? I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision. I dont want to move after school to find that my degree is not up to par with other colleges. Granted, I know UNM is not Harvard but I want opinions and information/links to ratings of the business school. Thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 PM

261 posts, read 937,106 times
UNM's Anderson School is not a nationally ranked business school. My undergraduate accounting degree is from UNM. It'll feed you, but it won't automatically open doors like a top 10 or top 20 school.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,921,451 times
UNM is considered largely as one of the best State schools. Its are law school, med school, and engineering school that are so largely acclaimed though. However, the biz school is on par with the rest of the states schools across the country. Keep in mind, an MBA anywhere is better than a standard bachelors degree in Biz. Hope this helps, I wish you the best of luck.

A little old, but relevant:
UNM Today: Anderson Schools' ranks No. 18 in worldwide business school survey

Check this out too:
Anderson News

Old 01-20-2008, 12:11 PM

http://www.mgt.unm.edu/andersontoday/update.pdf

Another good link I feel

Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 PM

Honestly, I would go so far as to say that UNM is regarded higher out of state, than it is so in state.

another good website for help
Anderson Today (Spring/Summer 2006) | The Anderson School of Management, University of New Mexico

Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,194,926 times
May want to give serious thought to if an MBA is quite what you need to get ahead.

Many studies show that an MBA typically has about a zero rate of return on money invested.

I found about a half-semester's worth of MBA classes to be sufficient (and helpful) for succeeding in the business world.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:50 PM

266 posts, read 1,334,627 times
I'm a student at UNM and I think I have a decent grasp on the quality of the school as a whole because I attended University of Arizona for two years, which is widely regarded as one of the best state schools in the country. I also spent a lot of time researching schools when I was applying way back when.

The business program at U of A (Eller) was ranked the 6th best of any school in the country last year. Anderson at UNM is ranked highly among business programs with the highest number of hispanic graduates. My understanding is that a degree from Anderson is indeed highly regarded, not just in NM but elsewhere, as abqsunport pointed out. In Tucson, I knew many people who went into business, and while that college is highly ranked, the general consensus among my friends and peers there was that they could have had just as legitimate a degree if they had stayed in state (obviously talking about acquaintances from elsewhere - UofA is practically a steal if you have Arizona residency, and especially if you graduated from high school there with a solid GPA).

The folks who have recommended looking at the strengths of specific schools within UNM are right on the money in my opinion. I am in Environmental Sciences and the advisors and professors I've had are knowledgeable, professional, and actually care about the success of their students, which is a quality sometimes hard to come by at large state schools. I don't know for sure about Anderson, but I would be inclined to think that their graduation rates and high rankings tend toward the positive.

Another good point abqsunport had - it seems like you will find no shortage of people born and raised in New Mexico who attend UNM and have nothing nice to say about it. My response to that opinion is that they probably just didn't do enough research about state schools in other places. When it comes down to it, most state schools are really just about evenly matched. Some colleges within universities will be better than others, and I believe that part of a prospective student's obligation is to research schools based on the strengths and weaknesses of the specific school in which they are interested, be it Fine Arts, Engineering, Business, etc.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your search for the right school.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 869,881 times
Thanks for the opinions thus far. While I was looking at the Anderson website it says that of the 11,620 (more or less) graduates of the business program, 10,000 of them live in state. This number made me wonder if the degree is not legitimate (or as legitimate) as a degree from a different school for those who want to relocate out of state. I've been accepted to higher ranked schools but the money is a factor. I hope my choice to avoid the loans and attend UNM does not blow up in my face.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,095,747 times
Her worried:

> ... 11,620 (more or less) graduates ... 10,000 of them live in state.
> This number made me wonder if the degree is not legitimate

It is because they *choose* to stay after having spent time here attending the school.

I continue to believe that is one of the reasons for overall wages being lower here. Even after a layoff, people won't consider out of state employment.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 PM

very nice post AndyJ

Quote:
I hope my choice to avoid the loans and attend UNM does not blow up in my face.
Believe, choosing not to get deep into debt before you have a career is a smart choice. Unless you are being offered to Private Schools(ie Norte Dame, Stanford, Georgetown, Ivy League, ect.), UNM is equally competitive with other state schools. I realize you want to move out of state at the moment, but most people after graduating choose to stay--as mortimer said (nice post by the way Mort).

Anyway, best of luck with your decision!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque