Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 PM

53 posts, read 162,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
What about Trader Joe's?
Trader Joe's is actually a decent place for price, quality and selection. I go there specifically for their organic hot dogs. I'm unable to do a lot of food shopping there though, as I can't stand to be among all the rude, manic yuppies (YES, I KNOW it's not 1985) and the old-g*****m-hippies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,524 times
We are still very happy with Los Poblanos. The veggies/fruit have been delicious. We've had no bugs in our boxes. The only prob is that we end up with a lot of food for two people.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:13 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,238 times
Mortimer, thanks for the explanation to the posters! You always seem to be on top of giving accurate and objective information.

Yukon and chasp505, I agree about Trader Joes. It has some great prices and products--but it is always so damn crowded! Also, I have noticed people are much ruder in places like Trader Joes and Whole Foods (not the workers but the customers) and I have never understood why this would be.

Anyway, sorry to hear about Los Poblanos...

Personally, my wife shops at Smiths, TJ's, Costco, Walmart, Target, Sams Club and such just to find the best deal for the best product...it gets pretty sad and annoying.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:10 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
I went to TJ's Sunday....yikes! Next time, I think I'll go on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening. That seems to be the slow times in most of the stores in town, grocery and non, so hopefully it won't be so bad at TJ's. But, most of the folks were pretty nice about not running people down, which is more than I can say for a WM on a weekend

Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,959 times
We hit Trader Joe's about once every week and a half for particular items that we prefer from them. One thing I would mention is that just because it's on the shelf at Trader Joe's, doesn't mean it's organic/basic. I started reading some of the labels and the calorie/carbs on some of the stuff I thought was a healthy choice was eye opening. Doesn't keep us away, but you don't get blanket protection just by grabbing one of their micro carts. You still have to be an informed shopper. I was doing the same thing with milk. My wife had to point out that they have a specific organic milk. The rest is the same stuff they push at Rale...er Albertson's.

The mini carts crack me up by the way. By the time I've put my toddler in the cart seat and my infant in her carrier in the basket, I'm left with the lower 'luggage tote' and whatever space is left to jam in stuff in the corners not displaced by the carrier. I've taken to hanging one of our totes off the front of the cart with a 'beener.

My wife frequents the local farmer's markets and loves the selection/prices. It's obviously seasonal with availability, but we haven't been disappointed with the quality.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:05 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasP505 View Post
Please explain what a "CSA" is. Thanks.
I am glad you asked that, ChasP505; I had no idea what those initials stood for either. ALmost didn't read the thread because I had no idea what it was about.

Thanks for the explanation, mortimer! Much appreciated.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
ChasP505 openly wonders:

> Why don't you go directly to the farm?

Because Whole Foods (AKA Whole Paycheck) and Trader Joes are only a couple of miles away and even the La Montanita Co-op is fairly close. Going to the farm is no guarantee of organic.

We depend on fanatical hippies and people who don't shave [stuff] or do goofy things with their hair to select the good stuff for the shelves.

> Or grow your own?

I'm an American and demand instant gratification.

then penelopelp laments:

> ... We've had no bugs in our boxes.

You'll have to look elsewhere for protein sources.

finally ChasP505 added:

> I can't stand to be among all the rude, manic yuppies ...

The Co-op is a mellow place. (*) A throwback to the 60's really. It's small, but never as crowed as Trader Joe's.

P.S. La Montanita Co-op is in Gallup and Santa Fe now.

(*) There might be a 'hint' of marijuana in the air from time-to-time.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

We depend on fanatical hippies and people who don't shave [stuff] or do goofy things with their hair to select the good stuff for the shelves.
Quote:
I'm an American and demand instant gratification.
Quote:
> ... We've had no bugs in our boxes.

You'll have to look elsewhere for protein sources.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
I think it is too soon to give you rep points, mortimer; but you would definitely get some for the above gems.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 PM

Hey!!! Holy Cow!!! It accepted the rep points from me!!!

Old 05-11-2008, 05:18 AM

17 posts, read 71,892 times
I live in cleveland, am moving to Albuquerque this fall. I work at an organic food store in Solon, Ohio.

There are two stores in Ohio called the Mustard seed. You can check us out online at Mustard Seed Market & Café | Home.

Considering that we are in Ohio, where the climate is much colder and snowier year round, I have never seen our grocery store charge $9 for a head of cauliflower. However, being organic, where pesticides are a no-no, we do get in some produce that does not have a long shelf life. Right now, we are having a problem with our romaine lettuce.

The cost of food is supposed to go way up in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque