Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 PM

30 posts, read 150,611 times

Advertisements

I am geographically ignorant about the southwest.
I like going to lakes to fish and boat.

What sorts of lakes are within a 2 hour drive of ABQ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:43 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Just off the top of my head veejayy, there is Cochiti Lake north of town, and Elephant Butte Reservoir south of town. I think Caballo Lake SP is a tad over 2 hrs, just south of Elephant Butte. I haven't personally boated in any of them, though.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:27 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
Wrong part of the country unfourtunately veejayy. Albuquerque has very few lakes within 2 hours. However the best lakes (just under, or beyond 2 hrs) are probaly Elephant Butte, Cochiti, Navajo, Caballo.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,348 times
If you're accustomed to eastern laking opportunities you will likely be sorely disappointed by what New Mexico has to offer. Recreational fishing is much better for fly-fisherman and those who prefer streams and mid-size rivers.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Bluewater Lake about 85 miles west of ABQ out by Grants as you can waterski and jetski out there.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Try the southeast if you want boating or fishing providing it actually rains again. If you really want lakes there is always Minnesota. Just kidding but most of New Mexico is so dry that natural surface water is very rare because most of the rain the place actually gets soaks into the gravels or just evaporates.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Default Red flag alert!

Yeah, I have to post a red flag alert!

veejayy - Your question was completely fair and you've even admitted to just inquiring about a region that you are unfamiliar with, so that's cool.

But JUST IN CASE you post this in relation to consider relocating to New Mexico, I would ask you strongly to really research the area and consider (and re-re-re-consider) your options!

I always shudder when I see posts like this in the Albuquerque (NM), El Paso (TX), Las Cruces (NM), or elsewhere in New Mexico or West Texas; or even Phoenix, Tucson (AZ) or Las Vegas (NV).

I see so many Midwesterners / Northeasterners / Rocky Mountainers / Pac NW'ers trying to escape the cold / gray, etc., and relocate to a desert city like these mentioned. HOWEVER, they also talk about really enjoying the lake, the river, fishing, swimming, boating, sailing, water skiing, jet skiing, etc., etc., etc., or big lush green lawns / trees, etc.

So it is like they (and I am not saying you are in this boat) trying to take advantage of the relatively mild winters / weather, the sunshine, the dryness, etc., but they also want their cake and eat it too and want the desert to supply the former but also the latter....the things they really love about where they are in the North (eg: water).

It really just doesn't work that way.

For Midwesterners / Northeasterners / etc., who love the water, that is GREAT! That is one of the great things about those regions of the nation. Here in Milwaukee, WI, folks endure extremely long cold winters, but when the weather does get nice, they have a great lake / river to play with.

In the desert, there is a dearth of water. It just is how it is. ABQ is great for many, many things, but water is not one of them.

As 6 FOOT and others have pointed out, yes, sure, you can still find some water for the above-mentioned activities within 2 or 3 hours of ABQ (and in a case or two closer), however, I just really, really, really hate to see someone move into ABQ but then get really let down because they are used to having tons of water options for water recreation nearby from their home in the north, and in ABQ, it isn't reality.

I guess what I am saying is this: Don't move to Phoenix unless you are happy with very hot weather. Don't move to Marquette, MI unless you are happy with very cold weather. Don't move to Columbia, SC unless you are happy with doses of high humidity. And don't move to Albuquerque, NM unless you are okay with bone-dry conditions and are okay with not being around much water.

Anyway, enough of my point. And I know, veejayy, you may not even be considering relo'ing to ABQ. But I just wanted to implore you that if those water activities are some of your favorite to do, ABQ may not be the right place for you.

It is one of the finest cities in the land. But it is a land-locked desert.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
veejayy,

I hope you won't think me impertinent, but your opening post has me curious.

You say you are "thinking of moving from east coast".

Then you say "I am geographically ignorant about the southwest."

I guess my question is what reasons you have for moving from the east coast and what would cause you to consider a place you know almost nothing about?

Towanda

Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
I guess Enjoy EP and I were thinking along the same lines at the same time.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 PM

30 posts, read 150,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
veejayy,

I hope you won't think me impertinent, but your opening post has me curious.

You say you are "thinking of moving from east coast".

Then you say "I am geographically ignorant about the southwest."

I guess my question is what reasons you have for moving from the east coast and what would cause you to consider a place you know almost nothing about?

Towanda
Good point. I am doing more investigating and these posts are certainly helping me! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque