Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 09:45 AM

107 posts, read 344,470 times

Advertisements

I love to fish. Mostly I love to share this activity with my wife & children. Where are some great places to fish locally or within an hour or so drive? What type of pole is recommended, I.E. reel or fly? What are you fishing for?

It'd be nice if some would post some pictures of their New Mexico fishing adventures as well!!

A Bad Day Fishing is Better Than A Good Day Working
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyjett View Post
I love to fish. Mostly I love to share this activity with my wife & children. Where are some great places to fish locally or within an hour or so drive? What type of pole is recommended, I.E. reel or fly? What are you fishing for?

It'd be nice if some would post some pictures of their New Mexico fishing adventures as well!!

A Bad Day Fishing is Better Than A Good Day Working
I like to go down to Isleta, it is close and it is very well stocked.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,249 times
I also love to fish, which is why I moved to Colorado springs ten years ago. However, I fished for many years in ABQ. The Jemez Mountains will have the best combination of ease of access, scenery, and fish (trout). Take Hwy 44 west from Bernallio to San Ysidro. turn right on Hwy 4 and drive through little pueblo scenery and towns. buy some fry bread from the little stands in the red dirt area. you will see them when it looks like you are on Mars because of the red landscape. Then look for little picnic areas on your left. You can stop and throw your line in the Jemez river at these spots. Drive another half hour or so north and follow the signs to Fenton Lake which is a really pretty mountain lake that you will love. KEEP IN mind though I have not fished the Jemez in many years so I don't know the current conditions.
Also try the Pecos river north of Glorieta
Also Villanueva State Park would be good for family.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM

81 posts, read 181,423 times
Favorite Fishing Holes in NM

1: Bluewater Lake (southwest of Grants NM) Fish on east side of lake for the big ones (deeper water)
2 Fenton Lake (Jamez Mountains) (well stocked)
3. Navajo Lake (well stocked)
4. Pecos River (near Glorieta NM) well stocked - good sized trout - Proceed apporximately 18 miles north of Glorieta and fish the north side of the bridge!
5. Chama river and the lakes above Chama in Colorado are great but seasonal

Old 09-28-2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks for all the great "honey holes"!

BTW I lived in the Springs 20 years ago. I didn't have any luck finding good fishing. Of course I was young and married to my first wife, so I spent all my time working to get some peace & quiet:-(

Old 09-29-2009, 03:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
The ditches (that parallel the river) are stocked with trout around the North Valley, Corrales, and Bernalillo . Being accessible via the bike path is a plus for me. Biking across the city with a couple trout in the creel is nice even though you get some strange looks. People have no idea that you can go fishing in the city without ever setting foot in a car. Then again I have seen people on the subway (in NYC) with gear and their catch wrapped in paper.

ABQConvict

Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The ditches (that parallel the river) are stocked with trout around the North Valley, Corrales, and Bernalillo . Being accessible via the bike path is a plus for me. Biking across the city with a couple trout in the creel is nice even though you get some strange looks. People have no idea that you can go fishing in the city without ever setting foot in a car. Then again I have seen people on the subway (in NYC) with gear and their catch wrapped in paper.

ABQConvict
Any good spots you would care to share?

Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Any good spots you would care to share?
Just below bridges and locks, generally speaking. Some particular spots that I have had good luck is in Bernalillo just south of NM 44 and various spots within a mile or so of the Rio Grande Nature Center. Around Atrisco is supposed to be good too but I haven't had luck there. I have a friend who fishes south of Los Lunas (he lives there).

Oh, and the stocking season (rainbows) is winter-early spring but there are native browns and sun fish year-round especially on the east side of the river.

Check out this link: Fishing in New Mexico - Google Books

ABQConvict

Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks convict, what tackle do ya'll use? Fly or spincast reel?

Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Rod and reel with spinners or salmon eggs. I have seen people fly fishing in the ditches, too.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque