Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2019, 08:59 AM

123 posts, read 190,805 times

Advertisements

Hello, my daughter and I have a chance to rent a home in Moriarty. I have been looking for information about the winter conditions specifically. I am a native Floridian and snow is new to me. We have been living in the Cincinnati Ohio metro for 2 years. It is too cold here, and the winter can be hard. The average snow totals are around 14” a year. The roads get icy and slick, temps plummet well below freezing for extended periods of time and life becomes paralyzed - except for the trips to work and the grocery store. This past winter was mild but the one before it was horrible. We will both be working (probably in ABQ) and will commute daily. I am terrified of icy roads. And I become a nervous wreck when driving in the winter after a snowfall. My daughter drives and I want her to be safe while commuting to work. We love NM but I need a true picture of what the winter looks like between Moriarty and ABQ. I read somewhere that the average snow fall is around 9” a year. Are the roads plowed in Moriarty? It’s a super small town, so I don’t even know if the road we are looking at to live on is plowed. The house is almost in McIntosh. It is a perfect place for us but it comes with a pretty large yard which is great but I don’t know if my daughter and I could handle shoveling that much if we had to get out. I am partially disabled and worried about slipping on ice. Ugh, I didn’t know winters could be so hard until we moved to Cincinnati. I don’t want to move into the same situation in the desert! I’m looking to put down roots!

Will the winters be this hard in NM? I’m looking for the truth but also hoping for good news. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 12:25 AM

201 posts, read 292,111 times
I very much dislike Moriarity, NM. Outside of the farm industry and fireworks, it's a small town brain drain with very little to do. You'll rarely see snow in Albuquerque if that's your primary fear. Moriarity and the east mountains assuredly get snow at least a few times a year (much of it is a joke compared with the Northern winter season, and nothing you're used to). Most of Moriarity and Edgewood are private or small county roads and will not be plowed, so you'll need to be self sufficient during those few snow occasions. I think going forward with the real issue of climate change, the area you're looking at is a very low threat of ice and snow issues. Best of luck!

Old 05-03-2019, 09:35 PM

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it!

Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
I have only been to (stopped and looked around) to Moriarty twice in 20 years, to visit, and have driven through many times over the years.

Major threads on Moriarty:
Information on Moriarty, NM?
Info on Moriarty
Between ABQ and Moriarty
The City Website: City of Moriarty - Home

I think I went to a bar there once to see Freddy Fender perform... I could be wrong, I had a dedicated driver....

You need to physically go there and check it out. There are some hotels in the area...

Old 05-09-2019, 11:53 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,788,147 times
The weather is different every year in NM, there's no consistency. One year can be dry, the next year snowy. Albuquerque has seen 30 below 0. Not often, but it has seen it.

But, generally speaking you should find winters in NM more pleasant than in the midwest.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:34 AM

Thank you all so much for the info. I really do appreciate it. I think my daughter and I would be best suited closer to the big city. I am also looking at Arizona. I love the idea of living out in the country as we have a lot of animals and I like my privacy. However I don’t want to fight with bad snow storms. I’m still researching and we have another month or two to figure it out. Thank you!!

Old 05-24-2019, 09:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
Hello, my daughter and I have a chance to rent a home in Moriarty. I have been looking for information about the winter conditions specifically. I am a native Floridian and snow is new to me.

Will the winters be this hard in NM? I’m looking for the truth but also hoping for good news. Thank you.
I grew up in the Miami area, then moved around a lot... It even sowed in Miami once, (I thought is was dust).

I have lived in Arizona
We have lived in New Mexico (Albuquerque area) for the past 20 years. It has snowed, it has been windy, etc. Not the worst I've seen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque