Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:15 PM

60 posts, read 50,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavasco21 View Post
So, I should be fine because none of those things interest me. Could you please explain if the crime is as bad as people make it sound?

If you watch the news there are at least 1-2 killings each day. So it depends where you are coming from and how much crime is there to compare with.
Where I am in Luna county, might have drunk drivers from time to time yet as to crime with firearms not much as people carry and are ready to defend themselves so criminals stay away as they know this is the old west here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 03:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drleephd6530 View Post
If you watch the news there are at least 1-2 killings each day. So it depends where you are coming from and how much crime is there to compare with.
Where I am in Luna county, might have drunk drivers from time to time yet as to crime with firearms not much as people carry and are ready to defend themselves so criminals stay away as they know this is the old west here!
Bull... Show me some real, verifiable statistics! "at least 1-2 killings each day" which would be more than 265 killings per year.... You are very incorrect....

https://www.abqjournal.com/1270978/a...> remain.html

ABQ area homicides down slightly, but concerns remain
By Matthew Reisen / Journal Staff Writer
Monday, January 21st, 2019 at 12:05am

Quote:
Don’t take it for granted

And while the drop in crime is welcome news to Albuquerque residents, Jeffrey Butts, director of the Research and Evaluation Center of John Jay College of Criminal Justice, warns that Albuquerque police and local leaders should be cautious and not take the decrease for granted.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:53 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,633,438 times
The UNM baseball player who was killed two Saturdays ago was the 26th murder in the city so far this year. Yesterday a woman was found dead in a home on the Westside which may now be the 27th murder of the year in the city. That is more than a week between killings. Murders can happen in spurts or there can be long periods without one. The average in 2018 using the figures provided above is 1 murder every 5.5 days. Albuquerque's murder rate is unacceptably high, but it is not anywhere near the point of being able to count on there being a murder or two every day. We aren't talking Juarez here.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drleephd6530 View Post
If you watch the news there are at least 1-2 killings each day.
Wrong. There aren't 1-2 killings a day, there are 1-2 shootings a day in Albuquerque (which is pretty much just as bad, but we gotta get the facts straight.)

Old 07-08-2019, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 936 times
Hi Lavasco21, I moved here in November of last year. Initially lived on the N.E. side of town in an apartment in a somewhat decent area, near Juan Tabo and Eubank Blvd. I felt safe and I am a 54 yr. old woman. Then we bought a house three months later in the N.W. side of town and love it. I have never met so many friendly people honestly, it is refreshing. The other comments here are pretty accurate, you learn fairly quickly from the locals on where to avoid, like you’ll want to stay north of I-40 especially at night and definitely live near your job to avoid that horrendous bridge traffic. There is petty crime everywhere, I don’t think we can escape it but if we’re smart about our own choices, I think we’ll be okay. There’s a lot to enjoy here too and the mtn scenery never gets old. I hope you decide to come and not let rumors hold you back. Good luck with your new job if you accept it!

Old 07-09-2019, 10:33 AM

141 posts, read 218,105 times
I am in a similar situation and gotten some good, some bad advice. Overall, If I am offered the position I am leaning towards taking it. Then again, I live in Northwest Indiana, so ABQ would be a big improvement.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,520,607 times
I am in a similar situation and gotten some good, some bad advice. Overall, If I am offered the position I am leaning towards taking it. Then again, I live in Northwest Indiana, so ABQ would be a big improvement.

Oh man, I'd jump on the Albuquerque job like a big, tall peanut buster parfait at Dairy Queen!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:16 PM

141 posts, read 218,105 times
I’m another step closer to a job offer and the more I read about the area the more I want to move. Again I live in Northwest Indiana so there are many places better than this. But the weather, lower cost of living are really attractive. Plus I heard the traffic isn’t that bad. Rush hour here is a nightmare and a 25 mile commute of mine can be anywhere from 30-90 minutes. And ABQ drivers can’t be worse than a mixture of Chicago and Indiana drivers. Not to mention that half the vehicle on the Interstate are tractor trailers.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:32 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko12 View Post
And ABQ drivers can’t be worse than a mixture of Chicago and Indiana drivers.
Someone said Albq is #1 for pedestrian deaths? Well, ifhis is true, then yes, Albq. is worse than Chicago and Indiana drivers.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 AM

16,130 posts, read 10,801,858 times
I think the pedestrian deaths, including bicycle riders, might be down from what it was but it still happens. When I moved here it seemed like it was open season on pedestrians but I think it has calmed down a bit. Some homeless folks seem to totally disregard traffic and I'm surprised we don't have more of them hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque