Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 12:39 PM

141 posts, read 217,817 times

Advertisements

It would be hard to determine because of reporting in Northwest Indiana. In this region that makes up 4 counties we have a population of about 750,000, however we have nearly 30 different cities and towns, ranging in population of 1,000 to 75,000. Also, I don't think that just factoring in pedestrian deaths can accurately reflect how "bad" drivers are. Indiana in general usually ranks in the middle for the "worst" drivers, but the state has several different regions. Northwest Indiana is unique in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 12:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
I would not hesitate to take a job in ABQ as long as I didn't have school age kids and it OP, it sounds like you do not. yes, the crime rate and poverty rate are petty high, but that doesn't mean there are not good locations and nice places to live. We live there for 7 years after we retired. We were not in ABQ proper but about 25 miles south. The weather was great, the people, for the most part friendly and the cost of living low. We learned pretty early on to make sure we always locked everything, kept our garage door closed and made attention to where we were and what we were doing. Though it didn't end up being the dream come true we had hoped, never have we been sorry we moved there.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,290,401 times
Crime rate is high enough to affect your daily decisions. My residence has off-street parking but occasionally I can find parking spots on the street, which makes for less walking. I always get tempted but something tells me it's not a good idea. The other day on the way to work saw a car parked on the street with its window smashed and pieces of glass still on the ground. As for accidents, when they happen they are horrific, and I've seen a few in a short time period. People just drive too fast, especially in pickups.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,630,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Someone said Albq is #1 for pedestrian deaths? Well, ifhis is true, then yes, Albq. is worse than Chicago and Indiana drivers.
Pedestrian deaths aren't just caused by drivers, many are the fault of the pedestrian. The most dangerous areas for pedestrians are in the Southeast part of town where there are lots of pedestrians and lots of traffic. Areas like San Mateo and Central. I lived in that area for a time until last year and there are a lot of pedestrians who do not follow the rules, who jaywalk and cut into traffic rather than waiting and crossing at the designated areas. I always used to walk from my apartment a few blocks to the Walmart and other stores at San Mateo and Zuni. I walked at different hours of the day, in the morning and at night. There was always some idiot darting into traffic trying to cross the street rather than waiting for traffic to clear or going a few more yards to a designated crossing. I witnessed plenty of near misses that were the fault of the pedestrian.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:18 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,630,566 times
There are plenty of good schools in Albuquerque. The poverty rate is going down and actually is not dramatically worse than the U.S. as a whole right now, 15.6 percent in the metro versus 13.4 percent for the U.S.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:51 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,787,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Crime rate is high enough to affect your daily decisions.
This is an excellent way to distinguish whether an area has too much crime or not.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Crime rate is high enough to affect your daily decisions. My residence has off-street parking but occasionally I can find parking spots on the street, which makes for less walking. I always get tempted but something tells me it's not a good idea. The other day on the way to work saw a car parked on the street with its window smashed and pieces of glass still on the ground. As for accidents, when they happen they are horrific, and I've seen a few in a short time period. People just drive too fast, especially in pickups.
If you think drivers in ABQ drive to fast you have seen how the Texas drivers drive: speed wise or other wise. I never really had a problem with NM drivers.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 PM

141 posts, read 217,817 times
To put it in perspective in Northwest Indiana the 2 main interstates are I-65 and I-80/94. The speed limits vary between 55 and 70. Regardless of the speed limit traffic flows between 80 and 85. If you are driving below 75 you will get run off the road. Police have given up trying to slow people down

Old 07-24-2019, 03:16 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,702,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Pedestrian deaths aren't just caused by drivers, many are the fault of the pedestrian. The most dangerous areas for pedestrians are in the Southeast part of town where there are lots of pedestrians and lots of traffic. Areas like San Mateo and Central. I lived in that area for a time until last year and there are a lot of pedestrians who do not follow the rules, who jaywalk and cut into traffic rather than waiting and crossing at the designated areas. I always used to walk from my apartment a few blocks to the Walmart and other stores at San Mateo and Zuni. I walked at different hours of the day, in the morning and at night. There was always some idiot darting into traffic trying to cross the street rather than waiting for traffic to clear or going a few more yards to a designated crossing. I witnessed plenty of near misses that were the fault of the pedestrian.
There are at least 3 factors, the driver, the pedestrian and the infrastructure (lighting, signals, crosswalks, road width, etc).

Old 07-24-2019, 03:17 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,702,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
This is an excellent way to distinguish whether an area has too much crime or not.
Do you lock the door to your house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque