Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 12:09 PM

192 posts, read 257,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
it's all sunshine and roses, everybody is happy there.

Of course this isn't the case for a lot of people, but for someone moving from out of state for the most part they won't be affected by the problems.
You sure make a lot of assumptions for someone who doesn't live nor has lived here for over 20 years. I would guesstimate that 90% of my friends and coworkers are native to this city and most are happy and have no plans on relocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 12:23 PM

16,114 posts, read 10,779,224 times
There is a bit of an affordable housing shortage for apartments close to downtown but $1000 should cover some nice places. I've seen some going for more than that. I went to look at one with a friend a few blocks off Central Avenue south of Old Town and there were four other potential renters looking at it and it was a pretty dismal place -- but very affordable. There seem to be people lined up to rent available and affordable duplexes with yards.

It sounds like you will be working downtown. Try to stay on the east side of the Rio Grande to avoid traffic bottlenecks at the bridges. The city is laid out mostly in a grid and traffic generally will be easier than what you are used to. I generally avoid the interstates because there often seems to be construction or a wreck that slows everything down.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko12 View Post
and work for the federal government. I may have an opportunity for a position based in Albuquerque.
We moved out to the Albuquerque area in 1999. My wife was a Federal employee and was offered a promotion and moving costs to make the move. She retired about 10 years later and we stayed. She worked primarily at Kirtland Air Force Base which was a 26 mile drive (one way), about a 30 minute drive. She had various schedules including some 4 day a week jobs (still 40 hours a week).

Quote:
honestly all I know about ABQ is what I learned on Breaking Bad.
Well, there is a lot more to learn... Yes, we watched Breaking Bad. Part of it was filmed in Rio Rancho.

Quote:
but thought I would ask residents what they thought of the area. I would first be looking to rent an apartment under $1,000 per month within a 30 minute drive of downtown, single, no kids except for a Siberian Husky.
My wife chose the house she wanted, and we have lived here 20 years now. We like the area. We are both now retired. We have even considered moving to the same area, just to be in a different house.

We have owned dogs for over 30 years. Two of our dogs have been on local TV's here. A few of our dogs have been Registered Therapy dogs.[/quote]

Quote:
Anything else to share with someone that has never been to the area that I should know before considering a move?
A few visits to drive around and learn the area could be very helpful.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:46 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,430,564 times
Quote:
So I would move there with the expectation that there's a good chance your car is *probably* going to get broken into at some point.
I've been here 30 years and none of my cars or my family's cars has ever been broken into. Including living near the "War Zone." What is the point of scaring people with statements like this? Does it make you feel better about yourself? I don't do what a lot of Albuquerque people do: leave the car running to "warm up" outside, leave the car unlocked with keys and valuables in the car, or like the UNM basketball coach did recently, leave a wallet with $500 cash in the car. Brilliant.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:09 PM

312 posts, read 277,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I've been here 30 years and none of my cars or my family's cars has ever been broken into. Including living near the "War Zone." What is the point of scaring people with statements like this? Does it make you feel better about yourself? I don't do what a lot of Albuquerque people do: leave the car running to "warm up" outside, leave the car unlocked with keys and valuables in the car, or like the UNM basketball coach did recently, leave a wallet with $500 cash in the car. Brilliant.
My son has been here four years and I have been here 2 1/2 years. Both of our cars have been broken into, at different times in different places. We come from a big city and leave next to nothing visible in vehicles. No other crime problems so far, knock on wood.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:22 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,430,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
My son has been here four years and I have been here 2 1/2 years. Both of our cars have been broken into, at different times in different places. We come from a big city and leave next to nothing visible in vehicles.
That's too bad but it's not a universal experience here the way you portray it.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 PM

312 posts, read 277,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
That's too bad but it's not a universal experience here the way you portray it.
So all this talk about "property crime" in Albuquerque is just heffer dust?

I live in a decent neighborhood. My neighbor's house has been broken into four times in the past 20 years.

Seems like everybody here I've spoken to about crime has a couple of stories of woe. But maybe you know better. I hope so.

I am not down on the city. Not at all. I like it here. I feel a bit safer than I did in L.A. But I see what I see, and there is plenty of sketchy.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:53 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,789,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
My question is a bit more specific. It is about Atrium gated condo community at 4200 Montgomerry Blvd NE. Anyone knows anything about that community? There are some nice-looking condos listed for sale online, but they seem incredibly cheap.
Can you be specific? I know in Rio Rancho one can obtain a nice 2-bdrm condo for about $90k-$100 in a nice neighborhood (non-gated). Seems super cheap to those of us located elsewhere, but seems to be a normal price for that area.

To answer your other question, Santa Fe has for a long time been more expensive because several decades ago it became popular among Hollywood elite and rich people for having vacation homes, and also because it's kinda a "mountain town" which often are more expensive. There are a lot of houses in santa fe that are vacant most of the year.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,789,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
You sure make a lot of assumptions for someone who doesn't live nor has lived here for over 20 years. I would guesstimate that 90% of my friends and coworkers are native to this city and most are happy and have no plans on relocating.
But that doesn't address the question of whether your friends and coworkers have had their stuff broken into, which was the topic being discussed. Most of my immediate family still lives in Albq./NM. They also don't plan to relocate. But they have had their things broken into and stolen.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
But that doesn't address the question of whether your friends and coworkers have had their stuff broken into, which was the topic being discussed. Most of my immediate family still lives in Albq./NM. They also don't plan to relocate. But they have had their things broken into and stolen.
No. The topic of this thread is Possible move to Albuquerque. You seem to drift off topic a lot...

Perhaps you should post in Albuquerque Metropolitan Area Crime Discussions

Or: Violent Crime Levels in Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Los Lunas?

Or: Albuquerque Crime - Just Moved Here, And Feeling Unsafe

Etc, Etc, Etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque