Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 09:52 AM

480 posts, read 319,968 times

Advertisements

Due to ABQ's elevation and dryness, there are always much larger temperature swings between night and day. 30 degrees in summer, up to 50 in winter at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:04 AM

16,204 posts, read 10,882,667 times
Temperatures swings didn't bother me but I wasn't prepared for the wind in the spring and it still can surprise me some days and chase me indoors.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 AM

141 posts, read 218,784 times
OK so I am not sure if the move will happen, still waiting to hear back. In the meantime I had vacation time for a short trip planned at the end of August. Even if I do not move, I was thinking of spending a couple days in ABQ. Any suggestions on what I should do/go? I would be coming in on a Sunday late morning, and leaving in the afternoon of a Tuesday. I found a cheap Airbnb around Nob Hill and will be renting a car.

For example, restaurants (mexican, american, italian, PIZZA), touristy things to see, like museums, cool outdoor things to see/do, and shopping.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,929,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko12 View Post
OK so I am not sure if the move will happen, still waiting to hear back. In the meantime I had vacation time for a short trip planned at the end of August. Even if I do not move, I was thinking of spending a couple days in ABQ. Any suggestions on what I should do/go? I would be coming in on a Sunday late morning, and leaving in the afternoon of a Tuesday. I found a cheap Airbnb around Nob Hill and will be renting a car.

For example, restaurants (mexican, american, italian, PIZZA), touristy things to see, like museums, cool outdoor things to see/do, and shopping.

Theses threads may help:
Things To Do In Albuquerque
My Favorite Things About Albuquerque
Things to do with kids in Albuquerque
The Top 10 Things to Do in Albuquerque - TripAdvisor - Albuquerque, NM Attractions - Find What to Do Today, This Weekend, or in March

Here are some sites with info:

Albuquerque - Albuquerque New Mexico - Albuquerque NM - itsatrip.org
Things to Do in Albuquerque - albuquerque.about.com
Albuquerque Events, Concerts, Film, Nightlife, Festivals & More - Yelp
Events and Entertainment calendar for Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Northern New Mexico - Alibi Calendar
Restaurants in Albuquerque - tripadvisor.com
The 17 Essential Restaurants in Albuquerque - eater.com

Restaurants in Albuquerque - yelp.com - I consider the best accurate ratings...

A lot depends on how long you are in the area, ie Santa Fe is 60 miles away and worth a visit on a day trip, Taos is a bit further etc.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:25 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,812,976 times
Quote:
Even if I do not move, I was thinking of spending a couple days in ABQ. Any suggestions on what I should do/go? I would be coming in on a Sunday late morning, and leaving in the afternoon of a Tuesday. I found a cheap Airbnb around Nob Hill and will be renting a car.
- Sandia Peak Tram
- Frontier Restaurant on Central (across from the university, not the other locations)
- Old Town
- Explora Museum (one of only two or three very well designed hands-on science and technology learning museums in the country, the one in Albq is even better than the one in San Francisco)
- National Hispanic Cultural Center
- Isleta Pueblo (Indian reservation just south of Albq.)

Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 AM

548 posts, read 1,221,237 times
To do:
Sandia Peak Tram
Petroglyphs
Old Town

Eat:
Church Street Cafe (in Old Town) and/or Duran's Pharmacy for New Mexican
Pizzeria Luca (close-ish to the tram) for Italian

Old 07-18-2019, 05:41 PM

141 posts, read 218,784 times
So I have been offered the position I applied for! I told them I will decide by Monday on whether I am going to accept it or not. I am excited/nervous but I am thinking that I will take it. They want me to start August 19th, but I negotiated August 26th with a higher relocation bonus. I have some things to deal with in Indiana first to make sure it will be able to happen.

I am looking at apartments and found La Privada which is on the Northeast side. on San Mateo Blvd, OR Vistas at Seven Bar Ranch which is further from what would be my new work, but near Rio Rancho. Any thoughts on those two locations??

Old 07-19-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I am looking at apartments and found La Privada which is on the Northeast side. on San Mateo Blvd, OR Vistas at Seven Bar Ranch which is further from what would be my new work, but near Rio Rancho. Any thoughts on those two locations??
My wife and I have lived in Rio Rancho for the past 20 years.

I really am not familiar with Villas at La Privada... I have been in that area over the years. I have been eating at the nearby Taco Cabana frequently. Gone to the medical facilities just north of Taco Cabana gone shopping and on business just South of Taco Cabana, Golden Coral, etc, all the way down to Kirtland Air Force Base (KAFB) and Albuquerque International Sunport (I use to commute to Wash D.C.), my wife worked at KAFB). I seems to be a good area based on my actual experiences.

Vistas at Seven Bar Ranch appears to be in Rio Rancho. We have also been to all the shopping facilities throughout that area over the past 20 years.

To me either place is OK, however we have some new Medical Facilities, Presbyterian Rust Medical Center in our immediate area which has suited us well over the past 10 years.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:36 AM

548 posts, read 1,221,237 times
I am not familiar with either complex, but the La Privada looks to be in a decent spot. The Seven Bar Ranch area is nice and newer, but if you live out in Rio Rancho and work on the east side of the river, you will have to deal with a lot more traffic on your daily commute than if you live on the east side of the river.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:48 AM

I agree with the Rio Grande issue. The traffic while getting across the river can be a difficult issue...

Depending on your route and time driving East in the morning as the sun rises can be annoying... And returning home the other way can be annoying.

Google Traffic Conditions can show you actual traffic patterns: https://www.drivingdirectionsandmaps...on-google-map/

Some other good locally created traffic maps:

https://www.koat.com/traffic
https://www.kob.com/traffic/

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-19-2019 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque