Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 07:49 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc9773 View Post
AGREED!!! 15% is considered a GENEROUS tip... This coming from a fellow who spent the first 5 years of his working life washing dishes and busing tables at a restaurant. There seems to be a belief here that 20% is a mandatory minimum...

I almost want to be sick when I get served at some of our local restaurants and the point of sale device has 18% highlighted. Me thinks some folks consider themselves "undervalued"....
I go by level of service. For me, excellent service is going to equal a 30% tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 04:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Oh my god... How out of touch are you?
During COV19 CRISIS,I tipped waitress $20 and cook $20 for a carryout,how much do you tip?

Old 11-21-2021, 04:37 PM

a waitress at buffet served a party,they left without tip.
She gets 0 per hour,so she relies on tip,she chased them out the door into parking lot,shouting DONT COME BACK,DONT YOU DARE TO COME BACK.
She was fired !

Old 11-21-2021, 04:38 PM

waiter and waitress have the memory of an elephant,they remember the diners and how much they tip.

Old 11-22-2021, 12:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
a waitress at buffet served a party,they left without tip.
She gets 0 per hour,so she relies on tip,she chased them out the door into parking lot,shouting DONT COME BACK,DONT YOU DARE TO COME BACK.
She was fired !
Getting fired from a job that pays $0. Sounds American.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:56 PM

When I lived in NYC in the 80s,I met an older woman who lived with her daughter and family,she had her own bedroom,spoke no English,uneducated.
But she found a job in Chinatown ,a place where the clothing factory will bring them the dresses and they will put a plastic bag over them,she gets 3 pennies per dress!
It is not easy to raise your arms many times a day ,you get sore at the end .
They bring their own lunch,teabags and employer supplied hot water.
There is competition,there is gossip and there is romance.
She gets a senior card to ride the subway,and she made a few dollars per week,and she is proud to contribute to the household by serving neckbone soup at dinnner!
Her grandkids cant wait for her to die,so they can have her bedroom !!
If one is older immigrant,speak no English,has no means of transportation and no marketable skills,this beats staying at home,a waitress in a buffet restaurant can clear 25-50 on tips,not too shabby,it is all cash

Old 05-05-2022, 07:13 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
What employers (beyond fast food) are still struggling to find employees?
Some of our ABQ clients in multiple industries, not fast food, are having a hard time finding employees. Of course, these same clients pay crap wages, offer no benefits, and treat their employees like dirt. So we aren't suprised that they can't find "good workers". When they whine to us about it, we politely suggest they consider offering better pay (or at least regular raises with reviews) and basic benefits (like paid holidays), and then they whine that they can't afford to pay more. However, we do the tax returns and know better, but we just let them whine. Cheapskates aren't going to change their ways. They'll just whine louder and longer. Now they're whining about the mandatory sick pay coming into effect in July. (Let me add that these are the same clients who objected to paying sick time for COVID despite the fact that the feds were reimbursing employers for COVID sick pay.) *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque