Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 12:50 PM

104 posts, read 106,227 times

Advertisements

As a general rule, is it safe to look north of I-40 for a relatively safe neighborhood? I will be moving from Illinois to Albuquerque in mid to late April and I will be by myself looking for affordable apartment rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 12:50 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
OP, Don't bother to feed the .......

Generally speaking, south of I-40 is more downscale, north is more suburban and middle to upper middle class. I haven't spent much time there, having lived way north of there.

There are other posters on here who live in the area, so hopefully they will chime in.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:27 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerDavidJohn View Post
\

Thank you for your gracious remarks...
Ignore him/her. S/he criticizes city data and criticizes those asking question, as well as those providing answers.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:01 PM

192 posts, read 256,484 times
Quote:
\

Thank you for your gracious remarks...
Don't listen to that obviously disturbed person that loves to comment about RR and ABQ even though they don't live there.

I was told when I first moved here in 2012 that the further north you go the relatively safer it is and after living here I can attest to that. All you have to do is bring up a crime map to see how stark the relative crime is south of I40, especially in SE ABQ compared to most areas north of there. And the further north you go the safer it gets. This is coming from someone that lives in ABQ, frequents mostly southern RR, and I drive throughout the entire city on a daily basis because of work. Not some mentally disturbed person that lives in the east mountains which is a completely different world.

Your biggest question should be what side of the river you want to live on and then go from there. If I was advising a family member or close friend I would suggest living north of Montano/Montgomery. I still love living in ABQ because it's a great city that has a lot going for it but it's definitely getting worse since I moved here regarding crime and the statistics back that up although that is a national trend in blue cities.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:19 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
There are many large apartment complexes on Montgomery but I would avoid that area, especially the western portion. Unfortunately the safer areas are probably more expensive. Agree with Rob that looking at crime map is a good idea.

Old 01-09-2022, 01:42 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Just be sure to have renter's insurance. It doesn't matter where you live, just choose a location that appeals to you. Especially when renting an apartment, there are going to be bad apples wherever you go.

I had an apartment I liked near San Mateo and Osuna, until a family moved in below me with smokers and a screaming baby. I had to move out, since I couldn't insulate myself from the screaming or the smoke. That was worse to me than any "safety" concerns.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:15 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
I would check out the apts just West of the Target in the Cottonwood Mall area.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:56 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
When choosing apartments, be sure to look at the rents specified on the website. Complexes owned by Real Estate Investment Trusts typically don't provide a set rent. They give a range for each unit or class of units, with the top rent being almost double the introductory rate. They raise the rent by around $100/mo. each year. If you can't afford that type of rent raise, you'll end up moving again within a couple of years.

Buildings with local owners don't do that. Rents tend to remain stable for a few years, at least. You can also ask the LL or manager if the rent is stable.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:38 PM

104 posts, read 106,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
When choosing apartments, be sure to look at the rents specified on the website. Complexes owned by Real Estate Investment Trusts typically don't provide a set rent. They give a range for each unit or class of units, with the top rent being almost double the introductory rate. They raise the rent by around $100/mo. each year. If you can't afford that type of rent raise, you'll end up moving again within a couple of years.

Buildings with local owners don't do that. Rents tend to remain stable for a few years, at least. You can also ask the LL or manager if the rent is stable.
Thanks for the advice, I am flying out in April to look at a few rental communities.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:45 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I am flying out in April to look at a few rental communities.
FYI our rents are going up about $200/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: