Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 10:23 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
There must be dozens of threads about crime in Albuquerque, but I'm too lazy to post them here, you can also search. There's too much written about it and we get tired of hearing about it. I guess if it was that bad I wouldn't still be here after three decades, and neither would the thousands of little old ladies who live around here.

As a 3 time tourist to ABQ I never felt it was ghetto or I was in danger in any area day or night. I do find it very interesting online and on youtube when you search Albuquerque crime and car thefts are brought up as much as the beautiful scenery. I do still hope to move there one day but in the back of my mind I know that whatever house or condo I live in will have steel bars on doors and every window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 09:59 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
As a 3 time tourist to ABQ I never felt it was ghetto or I was in danger in any area day or night. I do find it very interesting online and on youtube when you search Albuquerque crime and car thefts are brought up as much as the beautiful scenery. I do still hope to move there one day but in the back of my mind I know that whatever house or condo I live in will have steel bars on doors and every window.
That's too bad, I wouldn't move anywhere if I felt like I would need bars there. I don't have them in ABQ.

Colorado has a problem with mass shootings starting with Columbine, but somehow they still have a good reputation.

I think if crime is your number one issue, then living in the US is a bad idea. Try Canada or a European country. They see crime in the US as out of control, which it is.

Old 12-30-2022, 11:26 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
There is certainly crime in ABQ, more than other bigger cities is debatable, and I guess it has be debated on numorous threads. Anyway, my family's experience was always pretty good. The house we rented off Wyoming north of Comanche had bars on the windows, a security screen door, and an alarm system that wasn't active. Most all the houses in the area where pretty much the same. We'd leave town for vacations and family visits. The house was never entered when we were gone... or broken into when we were home. We'd go for walks in the neighborhood, or over to the park to play tennis. We always felt safe.

Our son did his four years at Sandia High School. He walked about 1/2 mile to/from school everyday. When he was old enough to drive he drove to work and school/social activities all over town day or night without any issues. We didn't worry about him being out and about at night any more than parents worry about their kids out at night anywhere.

My truck broke down on Central just east of Wyoming one night. Turned out to be a bad battery cable. A bit nervous when a couple guys walked up, and then a couple others. But they came over and helped me get it going again was all. Friendly and would only accept a thank you.

I was taking some night classes at the University. My wife and I talked about how she could come by and move the truck and it would really freak me out. About a week later I came out of class and the truck was gone. I called her, but it was stolen not her joke. Got the truck back about two weeks later. It had been abandoned at the edge of the desert in Rio Rancho with no gas, a broken steering column, and some front body damage from bouncing around in the desert. Got it towed to the dealership's repair/body shop. Told it was now safe and sound in their yard... the next weekend it was stolen from their "secure" yard. Wife said it's time to move... and so we're in Idaho.

I'd move back, and I think she would too. Before the truck was stolen twice we had been shopping pretty hard for property off Hwy 14 in the Cedar Crest area. We made a couple of bids on land, but lost out. I guess it was for the best in the long run. Retiring up Hwy 14 or off Frost Road will certainly give you a bit of a small town - country feel, and still be only minutes away from core Albuquerque. That's where we would look again if we were looking to return and retire to the Albuquerque area.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:15 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
One thing to remember about crime in Albuquerque is that this is a city with about a 1 million metro population, but it is a small town in many ways. In 1940 it had 35,000 residents -- that is in living memory. Local expectations about traffic or crime are lower than what is probably realistic. We hear people complaining about traffic like it is horrendous, but it is nothing like in bigger cities with long commutes. The traffic problems are mostly because of bridge traffic or obstruction due to construction or accidents.

Crime is also a big city problem. I have lived here in the metro 13 years and witnessed one crime situation that developed from drugs and domestic violence. I have never been a crime victim. I know people who have had vehicles stolen. There used to be a practice (maybe still is) of folks starting their cars to "warm them up" while they finish their morning routine. They would be surprised that the car was gone when they came back outside. People have to lock their doors and take care of their stuff. People should be selective of their friends and where they are going. That is true in large cities everywhere. Crime rate comparisons are full of problems, but the Albuquerque rates are not much different from Kansas City or Indianapolis. Albuquerque multi-year reports show that property crime is down since 2018 but person crimes are up by 6% in 2021. There is an abundance of firearms in Albuquerque, as we will be reminded of tomorrow night for New Year's Eve. Rational and peaceful conflict resolution does not seem to be as widely practiced as we might like. There is gang violence behind a lot of it. All that being said, I don't think the average person encounters much crime or at least that is my experience and impression.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:42 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Quote:
That's too bad, I wouldn't move anywhere if I felt like I would need bars there. I don't have them in ABQ.

Colorado has a problem with mass shootings starting with Columbine, but somehow they still have a good reputation.

I think if crime is your number one issue, then living in the US is a bad idea. Try Canada or a European country. They see crime in the US as out of control, which it is.
I am used to bars on windows. I live in Seattle, not to brag or be as A@@ but the house is worth 750k plus and we lock the fence, bars on all windows. The house has never been robbed but I have had a gun pulled on me twice in South Seattle. Wrong place wrong time, once at the post office dropping off after hours and the other time walking in my neighborhood. Random car pull on me and a guy get a gun out and demands money.

I have a tolerate/ hate relationship with Seattle. Its is really fast pace the only thing I like is that a world class city Vancouver, Canada is 2.5 hours north away otherwise if I never have to see it again it would be fine with me.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I'd move back, and I think she would too. Before the truck was stolen twice we had been shopping pretty hard for property off Hwy 14 in the Cedar Crest area. We made a couple of bids on land, but lost out. I guess it was for the best in the long run. Retiring up Hwy 14 or off Frost Road will certainly give you a bit of a small town - country feel, and still be only minutes away from core Albuquerque. That's where we would look again if we were looking to return and retire to the Albuquerque area.
Why not Idaho?

Old 12-31-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I have a tolerate/ hate relationship with Seattle. Its is really fast pace the only thing I like is that a world class city Vancouver, Canada is 2.5 hours north away otherwise if I never have to see it again it would be fine with me.
My favorite thing about Seattle is the lace-leaf maple trees everywhere. They don't do well here. I love Vancouver, and Victoria. I've wondered what it would be like to live in Port Roberts, LOL. I knew someone from ABQ who retired in Bellingham and loved it. That area has become very expensive. I checked out Port Angeles also, an hour ferry ride from Victoria. The Olympic Peninsula is beautiful, but there were Trump signs and flags everywhere, even Confederate flags (?). Port Townsend is charming, but again, very expensive.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:05 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
Default Crime in Denver

Quote:

Probably because it's a white place.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:28 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Quote:
Why not Idaho?
I retired from the Air Force while living in Albuquerque. My wife was also an Air Force brat, so especially she is used to moving every few years. She's got the bug to move. Not me so much. We're not specifically looking at Albuquerque to move back to, but would if it made sense for us. Right now, we'll stay in Idaho. We've been looking at East and Central Oregon too. We met and got married in Eastern Oregon (I moved for my first post-college job, she a junior in the local college when we met). Anyway, real estate prices will have to go down to make moving from our current house make sense.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I retired from the Air Force while living in Albuquerque. My wife was also an Air Force brat, so especially she is used to moving every few years. She's got the bug to move. Not me so much. We're not specifically looking at Albuquerque to move back to, but would if it made sense for us. Right now, we'll stay in Idaho. We've been looking at East and Central Oregon too. We met and got married in Eastern Oregon (I moved for my first post-college job, she a junior in the local college when we met). Anyway, real estate prices will have to go down to make moving from our current house make sense.
OK. You mentioned earlier you left Albuquerque because your truck got stolen twice, and then said you would move back here, but didn't say why. It wasn't apparent from your messages what the attraction is here, unless it's just an economic consideration based on real estate prices, or you're eager to have your truck stolen a third time. Was there anything you liked about this area? Anything we have that Idaho doesn't?

I've only been to eastern Idaho: Idaho Falls and east to Jackson, some friends had a cabin years ago near Driggs with a view of the Tetons which was spectacular. But I didn't get a feeling for the people, although you see the LDS presence in each town you drive through with the white church. Boise has been in the news as a hot real estate market.

Last edited by aries63; 01-03-2023 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque