Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 12:32 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,117,768 times

Advertisements

The truck being stolen the second time was my wife's "straw that broke the camels back." She wanted to move, so I started looking for work outside of Albuquerque and got hired here in Idaho, then put in my Air Force retirement request. We went back for a visit a couple years ago. We both still like the area up Hwy 14 and out on Frost Road. If, if we were to return that's where we'd look. I'd recommend OP look up that way too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 09:39 AM

124 posts, read 108,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
As a 3 time tourist to ABQ I never felt it was ghetto or I was in danger in any area day or night. I do find it very interesting online and on youtube when you search Albuquerque crime and car thefts are brought up as much as the beautiful scenery. I do still hope to move there one day but in the back of my mind I know that whatever house or condo I live in will have steel bars on doors and every window.
A 3-time tourist here as well. I finally moved here about a half year ago. I, too, didn't get the "ghetto vibe" either during the visits. Primarily because the visits were short and we were looking for housing due to the transfer of job. However, a long-time resident stated to me recently, "ABQ is simply a ghetto with a fine view of the mountains". After a couple of months of living in the area, I get what he was saying.

Everyone has their own experience with whatever. I can only speak of mine. In my opinion and short time here I conclude ABQ is struggling for various reasons, a very long list to discuss here. For me, crime, the growing homeless population, lack of decent-paying jobs, and mediocre healthcare are all at the top. It will take a lot to change the direction of the city. We have a couple of years left of work until we fully retire. I was thinking the ABQ area (Rio Rancho) would be the place. I am not so sure about it now. I will say this about the area, this is the first town I've lived in I thought carrying a gun would be a wise idea. The crime issue is real. I have never lived in a town where most of the department and drug stores have armed guards at the front doors.

Even so, there are many people here that are outgoing and friendly. Not only that, the food is quite awesome.

Old 02-09-2023, 09:55 AM

5,046 posts, read 7,432,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Dreamer View Post
A 3-time tourist here as well. I finally moved here about a half year ago. I, too, didn't get the "ghetto vibe" either during the visits. Primarily because the visits were short and we were looking for housing due to the transfer of job. However, a long-time resident stated to me recently, "ABQ is simply a ghetto with a fine view of the mountains". After a couple of months of living in the area, I get what he was saying.

Everyone has their own experience with whatever. I can only speak of mine. In my opinion and short time here I conclude ABQ is struggling for various reasons, a very long list to discuss here. For me, crime, the growing homeless population, lack of decent-paying jobs, and mediocre healthcare are all at the top. It will take a lot to change the direction of the city. We have a couple of years left of work until we fully retire. I was thinking the ABQ area (Rio Rancho) would be the place. I am not so sure about it now. I will say this about the area, this is the first town I've lived in I thought carrying a gun would be a wise idea. The crime issue is real. I have never lived in a town where most of the department and drug stores have armed guards at the front doors.

Even so, there are many people here that are outgoing and friendly. Not only that, the food is quite awesome.
Just curious, what part of town are you living in? And what exactly has your experience been with crime and the homeless population? In just a few months? As a long-time resident I find it surprising you can come to your "conclusions" after such a short time here, not long enough to change your "Phoenix" location in your profile. I have visited Phoenix a few times and can say I've "concluded" I could never live there or anywhere near it.

And where are these "armed guards"? You've already checked out most of the drug stores in the city? That's odd.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:19 AM

124 posts, read 108,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Just curious, what part of town are you living in? And what exactly has your experience been with crime and the homeless population? In just a few months? As a long-time resident I find it surprising you can come to your "conclusions" after such a short time here, not long enough to change your "Phoenix" location in your profile. I have visited Phoenix a few times and can say I've "concluded" I could never live there or anywhere near it.

And where are these "armed guards"? You've already checked out most of the drug stores in the city? That's odd.
My job takes me to many of the walmarts and walgreens in town and I see a lot of armed guards at these stores. As for the experience, driving down I-40 from the west one can see the encampments under several overpasses. Go down Coors and the side streets. Last week there was a guy taking a crap on the side of the road then he looked from some grass to clean up. Look at the roads coming from Rio Rancho, once a person gets into ABQ many corners are populated with them.

Phoenix isn't perfect. It certainly has its issues and places to avoid. It is way too hot and way too expensive for me there. However, it is certainly cleaner and has a lot going for it.

Old 02-09-2023, 12:20 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,432,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Dreamer View Post
My job takes me to many of the walmarts and walgreens in town and I see a lot of armed guards at these stores. As for the experience, driving down I-40 from the west one can see the encampments under several overpasses. Go down Coors and the side streets. Last week there was a guy taking a crap on the side of the road then he looked from some grass to clean up. Look at the roads coming from Rio Rancho, once a person gets into ABQ many corners are populated with them.

Phoenix isn't perfect. It certainly has its issues and places to avoid. It is way too hot and way too expensive for me there. However, it is certainly cleaner and has a lot going for it.
Interesting. Since I live on the east side of ABQ I never have a reason to drive in from the West Side, although I have seen encampments near downtown, and Phoenix has them too, like the one called "The Zone" with 1,000 homeless in it, one of the largest Tent Cities in the US. Nothing close to that in Albuquerque.

I haven't seen armed guards at Walgreen's but I take your word for it that some have them. If they are there I probably ignore them.

Being retired here I mostly think about where I'm going to bike next, or hike, or ski, or birdwatch, or go on a daytrip, or go out for a beer and a meal. I don't ruminate on crime. Seems like a waste of time. I have never been robbed, assaulted, raped, carjacked, shot at, pistol-whipped, or hogtied, but your mileage may vary.

On one trip to Phoenix I wanted to climb Camelback Mtn., but even on a weekday morning there was no place to park anywhere near it, so I gave up. I like that recreational areas in Albuquerque are easy to access and not congested.

You mentioned "mediocre healthcare" here, has that been your experience? Scottsdale has the Mayo Clinic, but on Yelp it has more bad reviews than good, and those were the patients that survived!

I've been looking high and low for a better ghetto to retire in than Albuquerque but I haven't found one yet. If you find one, let us know!

Last edited by aries63; 02-09-2023 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque