Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:30 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,982,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
The producers of COPS came out and stated clearly many times that the only reason - the ONLY reason - they filmed so many times in ABQ was because the producers greatly enjoyed ABQ's weather / climate.

Seriously. That was it.

The footage obtained in ABQ could've been easily obtained in any other semi-biggish city in the US at any other night, 365 days.

That whole COPS thing gave so many non-informed (not saying that sarcastically, just saying that per fact) folks on ABQ a false impression. Is north Central Ave. at 2am the nicest / safest place in the world to be? Of course not. But I kind find areas like that on every 2am in Denver, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Boise, Toledo, Austin, Memphis, etc., etc., etc., etc.
Thanks for that tidbit, as I was "non-informed" in that respect. The climate here is great, and I do get fewer upper/lower respiratory complications here than I did in Idaho, just to add a personally noted contrast to that commendation.

Also, I hope you caught my mention that ABQ has been no different for me than Boise, as far as undesireable interactions would go. Boise is famously safe, and here has been no different in my experience, except in Boise I wasn't a racial/ethnic minority. Some places definitely give me an unwelcome vibe that certain Mexican and Hispanic friends of mine would not feel. Not saying the area is racist, but some vicinities are less than welcoming, and it's just a fact than any Caucasian mutt without the right company/Spanish accent could second (I unfortunately learned Spanish and cultural subtleties in Argentina and have found no local mentor to help me bridge the gap).

I always liked a test my parents passed on to me. So long as murders/rapes/assaults of common non-prolific civilians still make the front page of the papers (at least in the local section), an area is very safe. Once they are relegated to listings or summary side columns, the particular violent crime concerned has become commonplace. With that, I'd say assault is common here, but it's pretty common anywhere with drugs, bars, and strip clubs. Not to say drugs, bars, and strip clubs can be blamed (I'm young and love nightlife), but it's a pretty strong correlation that could - and will - be reasonably argued as a causal relationship from certain conservative and legalistic perspectives.

Last edited by stingraynm; 09-18-2008 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Clarifying to hopefully reduce offensive implications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 03:59 PM

741 posts, read 1,381,529 times
Default I heard that too

[quote=EnjoyEP;5324928]The producers of COPS came out and stated clearly many times that the only reason - the ONLY reason - they filmed so many times in ABQ was because the producers greatly enjoyed ABQ's weather / climate.

This goes back to some time ago- shortly after the police substation opened on Lomas near Tramway I was at the library just up at the next corner. Had a brief conversation with a police officer there, and that is exactly what he said too.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:34 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,746,372 times
Albuquerque residence are very friendly. Live in the Northeast and you will notice a difference. I would bet every city thread even Boise, would have some thread like "What's with the people here."
Alot of people praise Albuquerque very highly and I can see why. And like a new job, all honeymoons with a new city ware sooner or later. And there is something kind of neat to be in a city like ABQ, that has almost anything you would need to live, but being in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Albuquerque residence are very friendly. Live in the Northeast and you will notice a difference. I would bet every city thread even Boise, would have some thread like "What's with the people here."
Alot of people praise Albuquerque very highly and I can see why. And like a new job, all honeymoons with a new city ware sooner or later. And there is something kind of neat to be in a city like ABQ, that has almost anything you would need to live, but being in the middle of nowhere.
Believe me... in general, I'll take the Inland West over the Northeast any day, though I've heard that people in the Northeast are friendly once you get away from the metropolitan areas and their sociological repercussions.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:57 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,228,452 times
deleted... was thinking locally, not regionally.

Last edited by rybert; 09-24-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,727,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I would bet every city thread even Boise, would have some thread like "What's with the people here."
Bingo.

For the overtly negative, complaining posters and types of posts, you see nearly identical posts in virtually every city's forums (crime, "rude" people, health care, blah, blah, blah, blah...)...

Old 09-24-2008, 12:39 PM

657 posts, read 1,339,490 times
Glad to hear most of you longtimers think that the crime is overblown. And also good to hear that they are hiring more law enforcement. Here we are closing on a house in Placitas in 3 weeks, have our house in SD on the market and I was starting to get cold feet! Was just in town over last weekend, doing inspections, and I always get this exceptionally great feeling when I am in NM. People here in SD think we are crazy leaving all this pretentiousness!

Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,228,452 times
Placitas is amazing! I hope you love it!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Bingo.

For the overtly negative, complaining posters and types of posts, you see nearly identical posts in virtually every city's forums (crime, "rude" people, health care, blah, blah, blah, blah...)...
I agree with your point, as every forum has a faction that say negative things about an area and its citizens. Many of those people make over-generalizations that warrant a defensive counterpoint. Personally, I've been very vehement in shutting those people down in the Idaho and Boise forums, and wouldn't expect less here. Nonetheless, I don't think I fit in the "overtly negative, complaining" category for my posts here.

My approach to the new dynamics of ABQ is open and malleable and I suppose I should qualify my assertion by saying that I've certainly met friendly types here and more guarded types in Boise. Just in these forums, I've had plenty of friendly interactions. I'm not trying to lay down a stereotype for the NM and ABQ citizens, but just saying that the type of interactions I grew up considering as commonplace seem less welcome in more instances here. Plenty of people could second me on that. I did my best to offer a humble inquiry instead of something that could be construed as an obtusely explanatory blanket statement. In the end, I was offered some good feedback and corrections, to which I expressed appreciation and concession, respectively.

Ultimately, I don't think I'm of the negative ilk who make unfounded, generalized, contentious assertions on these forums.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,746,372 times
Quote:
Believe me... in general, I'll take the Inland West over the Northeast any day, though I've heard that people in the Northeast are friendly once you get away from the metropolitan areas and their sociological repercussions.
I would agree with you. Folks from rural New England, Upstate New York, and rural PA, are very friendly. It may be to ABQ's advantage to not have alot of headquarters and to a lesser extent back office jobs for large banks, which means less competition with thy neighbor. One think neat with the Santa Fe-Albuquerque corridor is that their are tons of educated smart professionals, but with less of the competition of say the Northeast or SOCAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque