Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,919,756 times

Advertisements

I have been really earked recently by the general attidude of New Mexicans in general. It seems like there is no pride in the community sometimes, and that everyone has a self-loathing view. Its weird, Texans believe their state does no wrong. Colorado believes there state can't be matched by beauty. Arizona believe there state is the place to go for a conservative version of California. Ironically, New Mexico and Albuquerque has more beautiful areas that Colarado, more history than Texas, more culture (Taos, Santa Fe, etc.) than Arizona. The only ones who seem to appreciate it are the outsiders. This to me is concerning. This same attidude is directed towards UNM too. I have never understood why Albuquerqueans always devalue and depreciate their city. So here is my message: Wake Up New Mexicans, we have a beautiful place with a lot of really great things. We are far from perfect, but when you wake up enjoying a hot breakfast burrito on a crisp summer morning, keep in mind this is the place that truly is special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 AM

177 posts, read 406,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
I have been really earked recently by the general attidude of New Mexicans in general. It seems like there is no pride in the community sometimes, and that everyone has a self-loathing view. Its weird, Texans believe their state does no wrong. Colorado believes there state can't be matched by beauty. Arizona believe there state is the place to go for a conservative version of California. Ironically, New Mexico and Albuquerque has more beautiful areas that Colarado, more history than Texas, more culture (Taos, Santa Fe, etc.) than Arizona. The only ones who seem to appreciate it are the outsiders. This to me is concerning. This same attidude is directed towards UNM too. I have never understood why Albuquerqueans always devalue and depreciate their city. So here is my message: Wake Up New Mexicans, we have a beautiful place with a lot of really great things. We are far from perfect, but when you wake up enjoying a hot breakfast burrito on a crisp summer morning, keep in mind this is the place that truly is special.
That IS a problem, and one I have been guilty of in the past. However, I don't think we have a self image problem when it comes to natural beauty. I think it goes back to the stagnant state of our local governments, and how ineffective they are at getting anything done that is remotely progressive. All those places you mention have vibrant economies and local governents that get things done. We could not even get Bill Gates a loan to start his new-fangled personal computer company he wanted for Albuquerque, so he left and did it in Seattle. The Maloofs high tailed it out of here to invest in Las Vegas and Sacramento, after building their fortune on the backs and livers of New Mexicans. Gee, thanks a lot guys!

That sort of thing gives one a negative self image, and leaves us wondering, why can't we attract a Microsoft, or Southwest Airlines to base themselves in Albuquerque? A centuries long history of poverty and government subsidy under Spain, Mexico, and now the USA is also partly to blame. I hope we can shake it some day.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:16 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,223,257 times
I've never been more proud of ABQ! We are making some amazing strides in the form of economic development (see: every solar company and their dog moving something to ABQ)!

I can't wait to get back and start helping my city become what I know it can!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,383,124 times
I think part of this has to do with the near weekly reports of being at the bottom of one list or another concerning social and economic factors. Also the 'grass is greener' phenomenon has to be taken into account. I mean, all the newcomers were deprecating their home states before they came to New Mexico.

For every New Yorker who can't wait to move to North Carolina or Colorado or New Mexico, there is someone from each of those states in Brooklyn just loving the city life.

The proudest New Mexicans in my opinion are those from the Hispanic communities in north-central New Mexico (incl. Bernalillo and Espanola) followed closely by the newcomers. I can't speak for the southern part of the state, but in college I had a roommate from Hobbs who wished he was Texan. He only went to UNM for the in-state tuition. He wouldn't let me forget how much he regretted not moving to Texas. Oh, and I wasn't allowed to touch his fancy cowboy hat.

ABQConvict

Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,035,440 times
I agree with everything said so far, thats why I said in the pro team thread that New Mexicans are the first to put down their own team and they just arnt impressed with much.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:36 AM

212 posts, read 689,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martinez View Post
That IS a problem, and one I have been guilty of in the past. However, I don't think we have a self image problem when it comes to natural beauty. I think it goes back to the stagnant state of our local governments, and how ineffective they are at getting anything done that is remotely progressive. All those places you mention have vibrant economies and local governents that get things done. We could not even get Bill Gates a loan to start his new-fangled personal computer company he wanted for Albuquerque, so he left and did it in Seattle. The Maloofs high tailed it out of here to invest in Las Vegas and Sacramento, after building their fortune on the backs and livers of New Mexicans. Gee, thanks a lot guys!

That sort of thing gives one a negative self image, and leaves us wondering, why can't we attract a Microsoft, or Southwest Airlines to base themselves in Albuquerque? A centuries long history of poverty and government subsidy under Spain, Mexico, and now the USA is also partly to blame. I hope we can shake it some day.
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,716,275 times
I wouldn't worry about it, Albuquerque will get its exposure within time. Remember how recently Phoenix and Tuscon were no name cities? Even if we don't get "put on the map", who cares?

Old 08-31-2008, 11:44 PM

Is Tucson even on the map? Ha! I am not worried about being on the map, I am angered by the seaf-loathing attidude the youngsters and locals have about their city and state.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:05 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,965,382 times
I wonder if that attitude is as common anymore. As a newcomer meeting lots of newcomers here, the prevailing view for many of us is that Albuquerque is a good place to be (while still recognizing some of its weaknesses).
I suppose that old attitude about the city and its possibilities has always resulted in a city that was considered undervalued and underrated, but that is changing now.
Maybe we should be lucky that the city hasn't changed too fast like Phoenix and Vegas?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 AM

See, I am not talking about National opinion. I am talking about LOCAL opinion. I don't care what people in Nebraska think about New Mexico, I care about what people in New Mexico think of New Mexico. That is my whole rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque