Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:54 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,094 times

Advertisements

Headline says it all.

Be aware that many chains having close-out sales actually sell items for more
than their normal price by marking them "40% off" of some fictional suggested
retail price rather than the normal shelf price.

Linens 'n' things got busted big time for this by the national media but it's not
illegal, just sleazy. I think it was CBS that showed that many items were
actually 10% more during the sale than they had been the week before.

Caveat Emptor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 01:59 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,565 times
I feel for the landlords at the San Mateo Pavillions and Cottonwood Corners. They each lost Linens and Things and now Circuit City, plus the Pavillions lost Comp USA about a year ago as well. It will be tough to find replacements for such large spaces in the immediate future, but when they do I hope it is something new to the city.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 PM

908 posts, read 2,853,099 times
You called it finmqa1. Thanks for the heads up Mike! Interestingly, if you go to their site, all you get is a splash page that says they're updating their site with new products and special offers.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:24 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,497 times
Probably updating the prices on the site so when people go to look they go WOW look at the savings I am making.

I remember CompUSA did the same thing, they had a Mac Book Dual Core (Nor core 2) demo on the shelf selling for $1100-1200, Apple store had the core 2 version for about same price. Sad thing was - someone bought it.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
It will be tough to find replacements for such large spaces in the immediate future, but when they do I hope it is something new to the city.
Yeah, not a good time to be trying to rent out big-box locations...

I think that when the current mess finally ends, (whenever that will be),
there are going to be some permanent cultural changes in how people look
at being locked into an expanding and unrelenting consumer economy.

Even if disposable family income and available credit return to their previous
levels, the attitude of the people will be more cautious and less "BUY! BUY!
BUY!" oriented for a long time to come. Some of those big boxes may become
the kind of youth centers that cities so desperately need and rarely invest in.

That would put a bit of a silver lining to this mess...

Old 01-16-2009, 04:01 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Mike! SOLID suggestion! The old saying "bigger isn't always better" applies here." I've supported mom and pop businesses for decades. There is something to be said for personal service. It's unfortunate however, that people will be laid off their jobs.

I never bought cd's or dvd's there, the only thing I ever bought was a car stereo and had it installed for free.

Mike is right, a lot of changes are coming down the pike with businesses like Circuit City. Even the hobby businesses (record stores, book stores, sports memorabilia shops, etc.) are really tightening their belt. The economy continues to go south. Sad.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:06 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Here in TX, I think Circuit City was done in by Best Buy. Mike, I think your assessment is correct. My mother lived through the Great Depression and has always had a Depression-era mentality concerning money. I used to think she was unnecessarily frugal, but it makes more sense every day.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 AM

18,210 posts, read 25,843,605 times
One of things that hurt them also was the bright idea they had two years ago. They got rid of a lot of their middle management and replaced them by upgrading entry level workers. Those messages about how you treat your employees will follow you. You reap what you sow.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
Maybe a supermarket could move in there.. I mean, where's the nearest supermarket to there? Maybe something like a Sunflower Market or Wild Oats/Whole Foods?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:36 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,167 times
Fresh Market.... NM needs a Fresh Market.... here's the site:
The Fresh Market - Experience the Food!

Anything like that there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque