Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
exactly, Las Vegas did it and Albuquerque should learn to NOT do what Vegas does in terms of growth.
Ft. Collins did it after Colorado Springs, and you won't hear much good from people who have tried to drive up in that area since then. Colorado Springs tried to compensate their freeway infrastructure after the fact, and that project over the past years made it a royal cluster****.

If they build an infrastructure before the influx, I have no problem with growth's political and economic advantages. However, after hangin' around in Boise and Spokane during the '80s and '90s, I have no eagerness to see a bunch of penny-pinchers repeat the mistakes of past surges in development. You have to have the money available to compensate the infrastructure before you add a significant relative percentage of population to an area, and it really gets beyond me how people can overlook such an elementary concept in their enthusiasm for growth.

Ultimately, I'm hoping those in charge of this stuff aren't just looking at growth with dollar signs/neon lights in their eyes, but the big picture of how growth will strain an infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,963 times
I think everyone needs to do a little research on SunCal. The powers that be in Albuquerque want to hand over millions of dollars to this company. Do not buy into the propaganda site that bradly posted in the link above.

google is your friend.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:46 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
urbanabq thought:

> ... it's a nice idea but I don't approve of them using TIDD
> financing for something that will naturally occur. Would
> those jobs not come to ABQ regardless?

I'm for states and cities not subsidizing incoming businesses like
Eclipse and HP and Schott and Intel ( corporate welfare ) and just
creating and maintaining great business conditions for the businesses
that are already here and have a commitment to the area.

Other business will, in time, notice and choose to locate here without
the tax breaks/abatement/free infrastructure, etc.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
urbanabq thought:

> ... it's a nice idea but I don't approve of them using TIDD
> financing for something that will naturally occur. Would
> those jobs not come to ABQ regardless?

I'm for states and cities not subsidizing incoming businesses like
Eclipse and HP and Schott and Intel ( corporate welfare ) and just
creating and maintaining great business conditions for the businesses
that are already here and have a commitment to the area.

Other business will, in time, notice and choose to locate here without
the tax breaks/abatement/free infrastructure, etc.
Agreed. Those businesses have plenty of income/advocates without the govt. sending our tax money to a cause that is ultimately out of state.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:42 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,031,622 times
I would rather see more jobs and living space brought to downtown. It would be nice for some poeple to work and live and catch public transportation all in one area. I say fill downtown up before we keep sprawling out the rest of the city.

We should make downtown a place where people want to be other than to get a drink,hit up a strip club or be homeless.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I would rather see more jobs and living space brought to downtown. It would be nice for some poeple to work and live and catch public transportation all in one area. I say fill downtown up before we keep sprawling out the rest of the city.

We should make downtown a place where people want to be other than to get a drink,hit up a strip club or be homeless.
They said this in Boise and Spokane, but then the realtors bribed everyone and... surprise... the bribes were taken.

At least this area is building into the flatlands instead of the hills, but I'd like to know where folks like you raise dissent, 'cause my family regretted not protesting enough in Boise. Out instead of up just asks for "inner city" problems, because the needs of the old city get neglected as funds are diverted and the old system compensates on "its own". This is where metropolitan cities end up with problems of police corruption and gang territory. Someone's always willing to come in and pick up the pieces of a neglected area for something in return, and the innocents eventually suffer for it.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:39 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,629 times
Quote:

There's a lot of empty living space downtown because nobody wants to pay the premium prices on it.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:55 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,031,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
There's a lot of empty living space downtown because nobody wants to pay the premium prices on it.

well, who would want to live in downtown anyways the way it is, I dont blame them, thats why they should make downtown a more attractive and family friendly and maybe lower some prices.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:49 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,221,152 times
Dude... downtown has made HUGE strides since the 90's. I would love to live down there.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,990,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
I think everyone needs to do a little research on SunCal. The powers that be in Albuquerque want to hand over millions of dollars to this company. Do not buy into the propaganda site that bradly posted in the link above.

google is your friend.
Google is your friend? ..I work for planning so documented research is my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque