Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 16,301 times

Advertisements

So i live in ABQ, NM. When I traveled to Missouri couple days ago, I got a speeding ticket. This is my first time getting it. Of course I cannot go to court over there. What do i do to fight for this case? What do i do after pleading guilty? Some of my friends from other states told me that they can just go take a defensive driving class for the first ticket. Do we have anything like that in ABQ NM? Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,204 times
How can you fight the case and plead guilty?

Just pay the ticket.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
It really does depend on where exactly you got it.

Try calling the appropriate courthouse to see what your options are. Pleading guilty over the phone is pointless unless you have no other options; you may as well just mail in the fine.

Plenty of resources on the internet; try googling "speeding ticket" to see where it gets you.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Yes, some states reduce ticket costs, points etc, but if Missouri has that then you need to contact them. The is at: http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/drivers/faq/points.htm

In New Mexico, when you go to the Defensive Driving School to reduce the fine/points. You have to pay for the school.

You might just pay the fine.

How are you going to prove you are not guilty?

Rich

Old 08-10-2009, 02:44 PM

7 posts, read 16,301 times
maybe the way i wrote up there gives you guys the wrong idea. What i mean is can i just go to court in NM instead of MO? And if i cant win the case then what should i do? Does NM have anything that can help you remove the speeding ticket like community service or defensive driving class?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:52 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,659 times
No. You can not do any of those things.

Don't pay the ticket and never drive through MO again.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:02 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,204 times
The charge against you is from the State of MO, has nothing to do with NM, no court here will have the jurisdiction to help you. You either pay the fine or don't. If you don't pay it, depending on MO law, you may wind up with a warrant against you and you really don't want that.
Isn't there some contact information/instructions on the ticket itself?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:22 PM

79 posts, read 231,030 times
If you wish to fight it or hope for defensive driving school you'll have to go back to MO.

I'm not sure about MO, but TX offers a plea of nolo contendere - basically no contest.

Nolo contendere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HOWEVER, you may be required to appear in court for such a plea.

Disclaimer: I do not possess the ability of legal counsil. The above information is strictly based upon a personal experience where I received a speeding ticket in TX ~1 mile shy of the NM border on US Hwy 62/180 on July 4, 2006. I knew I was innocent, but after how professional and courteous the TX State Trooper was and the fact that I'd have to drive to Van Horn, TX to fight the ticket, it was more financially responsible to merely pay the ticket under a nolo contendere plea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque