Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 PM

102 posts, read 289,790 times

Advertisements

I took my pups to the vet today to get them ready for the trip in a few weeks and she suggested that we may need a health certificate to cross some of the state borders (she suggested AZ in particular). She seemed to recall needing one when she was coming out to CA. I've Googled it but can't find anything except crossing international borders. Anyone who has driven from CA (Los Angeles in particular) to ABQ needed this?

oh, and please Albuquerquians, don't fear me, I'm not from LA, I just happen to live here (though not for much longer!)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:43 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,367,832 times
I would get them just to be on the safe side. They're not that costly. I had to have them for my cats, but we flew them out.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 PM

265 posts, read 809,461 times
I have needed health certification paperwork for my animals when I traveled internationally, but have never been asked for it within the U.S. boundaries.

However, I can think of 2 good reasons to have it anyway:

1.) If one of your pets should have a health emergency en route, you'll have its latest info to give to animal hospital.

2.) You can give it to your new vet when you get settled in here; esp. useful to have proof of continuous heartworm treatment for dogs, otherwise you'll have to spring for a heartworm test before getting new meds.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:27 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,292,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplu View Post
I took my pups to the vet today to get them ready for the trip in a few weeks and she suggested that we may need a health certificate to cross some of the state borders (she suggested AZ in particular). She seemed to recall needing one when she was coming out to CA. I've Googled it but can't find anything except crossing international borders. Anyone who has driven from CA (Los Angeles in particular) to ABQ needed this?

oh, and please Albuquerquians, don't fear me, I'm not from LA, I just happen to live here (though not for much longer!)

Thanks!
Some vets will tell you anything to seperate you from your money.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:52 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,253,000 times
When we were preparing for our trip, I just called each state that we were passing through individually and asked what they required. We were traveling with dogs, cats and horses as well so I wanted to be sure we were legal.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:33 PM

48 posts, read 108,254 times
We got them when we traveled across the country to move here. Our vet recommended them, and gave them to us free of charge. Better to be on the safe side.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 PM

102 posts, read 289,790 times
Thanks everyone. We'll probably get them just to be safe though we probably don't need them. I have my pups latest records because we were just switching vets and they just had a heartworm test this week (that's why we were there). Moving is so complicated! Ahhh

Old 09-06-2009, 10:38 PM

132 posts, read 347,383 times
I don't know about anything about a health certificates to travel with the dogs, but just so you know, when you get here and live in Metro ABQ, you are required to have a license from NM, an up to date rabies shot, and a MICROCHIP. I found out this the hard way. I was trying to break up a fight between my cat and a stray, and got 13 puncture wounds from MY cat. I know now not to that again. Anyway, I had to go to the ER and medical professionals are required to report all bites to Animal Control. I got a knock on my door the next night and was given THREE citations. I can understand the ones for not having and up to date rabies and license, but I had no idea a microchip is required for cats, dogs, and ferrets. I had to go to criminal court and thank goodness the Officer didn't make an example of me and dismissed the charges since we got all that stuff done. Just wanted to let you or anyone else reading this about the Microchip requirement. If you live in Rio Rancho, there is no requirement for a Microchip, not sure about the adjacent cities. Have a safe trip!

Leslie

Old 09-07-2009, 06:29 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,367,832 times
My dog is microchipped, it was part of her adoption process. The cats do not have one. They are indoor only cats, but I make sure they have all the necessary shots, just in case.

I'm quite sure my friend in AZ had to have health certs. when she traveled there from Maine.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplu View Post

Thanks!
love you comment, they won't fear you too much, lots of people from CA are moving to NM.

As for health certificates, I have never heard of needing one to cross into any state. We have driven from here, to there, etc and never even been stopped.

I would suggest you have everything up to date, which is sounds like you do.

Enjoy NM.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque