Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 AM

28 posts, read 80,487 times

Advertisements

Found some info on Mes del Sol while searching various ABQ home websites. Any info on this? Seems to be "on hold" at present. Can't tell if this is going to be another version of RR ie urban sprawl. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
ForestCity Covington has a large set of built-out (at least more built-out than MDS) developments under their belt that you can use as a metric of how Rio Rancho-like they are. (Visit the old Stapleton airport in Denver or Saddle Rock in Aurora CO for the closest examples).

MDS is on hold until housing recovers. I think it will in the next 5 years and you'll see the first homes going in there. This is par for the course nationwide with their other developments.

I like the developer's other stuff, and find it an attractive alternative to the other choices out there right now for new housing.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
The Stapleton development looked pretty promising when we were debating moving back to ABQ or trying out Denver. What really caught our attention was the plan to extend the light rail system out that way.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Stapleton is nice... they did a nice job out there.

And as SunCal....goes.... well they did good in every city and screwed over Albuquerque.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Weren't they being sued by a multitude of California cities? I'd say quite a few cities were bait-and-switched...

Old 01-11-2010, 12:22 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Well they own our west side area.... soooooo.... now..... what is going to happen??

Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,154 times
I don't know how Suncal was brought into this conversation - Suncal = big mess, screwing over lots of communities, sketchy funding tactics, sketchy political involvement etc. They are likely going bankrupt.

Mesa del sol, as someone else mentioned, is run by Forest City Covington - a quality company based in Ohio. Stapleton is nice in Denver, and Mesa del sol is going to be ABQ's first foray into new urbanism (i.e. more walkable/generally more attractive suburbia). I would say the five year timeline for completed houses is probably correct. I would also venture to guess that given FCC's past examples, Mesa del sol will not follow the mold of Rio Rancho. I guess it remains to be seen. However, there are already a number of established businesses out that way, and the main building (a very cool Predock-designed mixed use structure) to anchor the "town square" in Mesa del sol has been completed.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:48 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,154 times
Bradly, that land on the west side owned by suncal will likely be foreclosed and sold, likely to another developer. I would hope that all that land is parceled out to multiple uses/conservation easements etc if sold - having one sole owner is a recipe for disaster (as we've already seen).

Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
I hope it works out and makes Albuquerque a nicer place to live.... safe, clean, and... well, won't say it.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 PM

123 posts, read 236,251 times
Having sat in on a Mesa Del Sol focus group and having spent much time on their site and visiting the completed structures (the superb Predock building and ABQ Studios) I would describe Mesa Del Sol as almost totally anti-Rio Rancho. I say almost, because instead of infill, it is being being built on undeveloped land. However, the site is fairly close to the Airport, downtown and UNM. Plans call for it to connect to the Rail Runner stop at Rio Bravo via bus service. I am impressed with the focus on sustainability and walkability (hopefully, this is more than words). Here's a rendering (http://mesadelsolnm.com/mds/media/images/First%20Neighborhood%20Aerial%20View.jpg - broken link) of the first neighborhood (note garages in the back of homes) and here's a video (http://mesadelsolnm.com/Take_a_Tour.aspx - broken link) of the development.

I believe they have started a charter school. I also believe that housing has been put on hold until economic conditions improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque