Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 AM

908 posts, read 2,854,474 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember that spate of home invasions we had in Albuquerque a couple years ago? Well, apparently they're on the rise again. Has me thinking about my home defense choices and brought up some questions I thought I'd lay out to the folks here.

First, is it legal to extend or increase the magazine capacity of a weapon used for home defense. I know there are limits on hunting capacities, but I think my Mossberg 590 only holds 8 shells or so.

Second, where do people stand on registration? I've always understood that it's not mandatory but it's HIGHLY recommended. I hate to sound paranoid, but part of the reason I have my weapons is to keep the government from getting ideas. I don't particularly want my house on a list somewhere that tells them what to expect if the day came where they were going after them.

Third, does a concealed carry permit effectively cover you, and any weapon you might choose to carry, or are you registering particular weapons? Also, does it extend to your vehicle?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,221,674 times
I have not and will not register my inherited guns. I will consider registering future gun purchases.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,696 times
Zia;

There was a discussion about this within the last week or so. It may have been
moved to the overall New Mexico board.

I do not currently own any type of gun, but if I ever do, I will not register them.

HOWEVER, (and I acknowledge the paradox), I think I would want to buy a weapon
that WAS registered so that I could be sure that I wasn't picking up a banger's cast-off
that may have been involved in something I wouldn't want to be tagged with..

Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,910 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...-gun-laws.html Check out the links I posted in my thread. All the info you need is there.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Does anyone remember that spate of home invasions we had in Albuquerque a couple years ago? Well, apparently they're on the rise again. Has me thinking about my home defense choices and brought up some questions I thought I'd lay out to the folks here.

First, is it legal to extend or increase the magazine capacity of a weapon used for home defense. I know there are limits on hunting capacities, but I think my Mossberg 590 only holds 8 shells or so.
I believe the magazine restriction was a Federal law which only applied during certain types of hunting, as in duck hunting?

When it becomes a matter of defending my family, I am not overly concerned with the legalities.

Home invasions are not new, I was involved in one about 15 years ago where three homes were invaded, in two states during one spree. One person killed, one person shot five times. One of my firearms was confiscated for illegally discharging a weapon. I got that weapon back and no charges were filed.
Quote:
Second, where do people stand on registration? I've always understood that it's not mandatory but it's HIGHLY recommended.
I registered when I had to. There are different types of registration.

I'll skip the paranoid part. Speaking seriously, protection of my familiy and my property is a high priority. I do not see the advantages of registering unless I am required. I take photos of my weapons, keep a record and have even "registered" my firearms with my insurance company when I had many weapons.

Mike made a good point of the origin of used guns. I have bought many over the years as a hobbyist gun collector... I got some very good deals.
Quote:
Third, does a concealed carry permit effectively cover you, and any weapon you might choose to carry, or are you registering particular weapons? Also, does it extend to your vehicle?
The New Mexico "Concealed Handgun Permit" only pertains to hanguns and only allows carrying in certain locations. Depending on your plans, the permit does not really cover you everywhere.

You can have just about anything in your house and your vehicle is considered an extension of your house. Which includes bicycles and motorcycles. Be careful when you exit or fall off your vehcle if your weapon is concealed and you do not have a permit...
Rich

Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 AM

908 posts, read 2,854,474 times
Thanks guys. Great answers all around.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,743,753 times
Did this post come about because of the intruder who was shot and killed this week? Story

I've never owned a gun, I've never shot one other than air rifles and to be honest they scare me, luckily I live in an area where I have armed private security who patrol the area 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque