Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:56 AM

13 posts, read 12,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
I stopped comparing ABQ to any other place last night. It truly is a very unique city to say the least and I'm from Brooklyn.
I'm from Brooklyn NY too

How would you compare Brooklyn to Albuquerque?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirusCeltics View Post
I'm from Brooklyn NY too

How would you compare Brooklyn to Albuquerque?
Indescribable... You really have to have you feet on the ground here, to appreciate it.

Actually, there is a lot to see in the great Southwest.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Indescribable... You really have to have you feet on the ground here, to appreciate it.

Actually, there is a lot to see in the great Southwest.

Oh ok. I been to ABQ on 3 occasions, longest I've stayed at one time was only 2 weeks though. Loved that it had 4 seasons like NYC, although the weather is different

What's the usual rent for a 1 bedroom?
Is it really the place if you love outdoor activities? I've heard alot of people say that
Hows the job market over there?

Old 06-16-2017, 10:14 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirusCeltics View Post
Oh ok. I been to ABQ on 3 occasions, longest I've stayed at one time was only 2 weeks though. Loved that it had 4 seasons like NYC, although the weather is different

What's the usual rent for a 1 bedroom?
Is it really the place if you love outdoor activities? I've heard alot of people say that
Hows the job market over there?
I have gone four or five or more years walking the dogs every day... Hiking, bicycling, various events, exploring the whole state...

I've also had the opportunity to visit or work in Arizona, Nevada and Texas over the years, they have a lot to offer... We are now retired and chose to stay here in New Mexico.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I have gone four or five or more years walking the dogs every day... Hiking, bicycling, various events, exploring the whole state...

I've also had the opportunity to visit or work in Arizona, Nevada and Texas over the years, they have a lot to offer... We are now retired and chose to stay here in New Mexico.

Oh ok great. I'm in my mid-20s and ABQ sounds like a great place
Being from NYC, I'm not looking for a carbon copy of that at all haha. I want the opposite

What I also like is that all parts of the city does not look the same. Midtown looks different from downtown, west side looks different from the east side

I'm an outdoor guy. I'm currently in Detroit and I feel cooped up. I literally have drive everywhere, even to get a tooth brush

Old 06-18-2017, 10:35 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
What I find interesting and maybe unique about Albuquerque is that it has a relatively small downtown -- mostly the administrative center, courts, transportation, and some businesses and then a lot of entertainment and restaurant space. Much of the commercial activity is dispersed up and down Central and midtown and scattered in other clusters around town. There is a fairly large residential population in the downtown area and the area is quite walkable. Industrial and light manufacturing seems dispersed as well. My impression is that it wasn't designed that way, it just happened over time and it works OK. I think that cities that developed before the automobile was in common use have more of a centralized downtown while places that developed later might be more dispersed. In 1930 the Albuquerque population was under 27,000.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:57 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
Although Albuquerque is unique and difficult to find comparisons, perhaps the most common city to compare with is Tucson.
Also Las Cruces for a smaller version of ABQ.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Pueblo, Colorado is in many ways more similar to Albuquerque than Tucson, in my opinion.

Apart from its smaller size, I think it has more cultural affinity to northern New Mexico and the cultural minutia that makes Albuquerque (and northern NM) distinct from other Southwestern locales.

On the other hand, while Tucson is comparable in general qualities of Southwest cities and more similar in size, it is quintessentially Arizona, and more specifically, lower Sonoran in climate and culture, in a way that Albuquerque is certainly not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque