Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 AM

259 posts, read 522,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's a LOT more common than you think, and it's a lot harder for a customer to detect than you think.

Matter of fact, I've posted here previously about how in my early days as a Rush Street bartender in Chicago I was taught many ways to "short" the customer, and taught that it was expected if I wanted to keep my job. And yeah, the bars I worked in were very popular and very busy.

I later matured into a life of personal integrity, but I still laugh when I look back at those early days, and think about how ridiculously easy it was to cheat the customer.
You're right; it does happen quite a lot in Chicago. My best friend and I both have experienced it and called the bartender out on it before. Her with Captain and me with Effen. Needless to say no tip was left, and we never went to that bar again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:17 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Tito's Vodka....hands down.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:49 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I've been getting Tito's the last few times I bought vodka. I am not a fan of flavored vodkas.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,796 times
Vista Vodka and Morava Vodka are my favorite vodkas. Titos tastes like rot gut wisky compared to these, and they are not flavored. Morava is made from sugar and Vista is made from corn. They are both award winning, premium, 3-5x distilled vodkas made in California but adopted from the Czech tradition. I like them because they are so smooth and they do not give hangovers. They are found at Vista Vodka and Morava Vodka, Ultra premium Vodka.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:37 PM

303 posts, read 540,200 times
Stolichnaya always, including if I need a flavored one for mix. I had an even better one at a good friend's house (native Russians) but I have no idea what it was called because it was too good. And Stoli lives in my freezer, no warm vodka for me.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:07 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Has anyone tried "Christian Audigier" vodka? It was on sale so I picked up a bottle but never heard of it. I did a little research, and apparently Audigier (the man) is a bit of a douche. Lol

It appears he tried to launch as some high end vodka with a price tag to match--- but it failed in the market and ended up in the bargain bin.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocie222 View Post
Other European traditional vodkas that I would prefer are Morava Vodka, an ultra premium from Cal-Czech Distillery in California, and the Vista Vodka they just released. It won a gold metal for extraordinary taste last month, and I can see why. It has a nice smooth taste, and it is definitely one of the better vodkas.
Vista Vodka
Morava Vodka, Ultra premium Vodka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocie222 View Post
Vista Vodka and Morava Vodka are my favorite vodkas. Titos tastes like rot gut wisky compared to these, and they are not flavored. Morava is made from sugar and Vista is made from corn. They are both award winning, premium, 3-5x distilled vodkas made in California but adopted from the Czech tradition. I like them because they are so smooth and they do not give hangovers. They are found at Vista Vodka and Morava Vodka, Ultra premium Vodka.
I think it's rude to refer to a fine, very highly rated product like Tito's as tasting like "rot gut wisky (sic)." But to do it because you are stealth advertising a competitive product, why that's just dirty pool.

I'm noting these as products not to try.

Last edited by OpenD; 09-07-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Titos vodka which I have never heard of but all of a sudden that's all I hear on the radio is titos vodka spots. Reminds me of redds apple ale which is just a new beer with a mega million advertising budget.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Tito's won its fame and reputation the old fashioned way... it earned it.

It's been made since 1997 in Austin, TX, at the first legal distillery licensed under new laws in the state. For the first few years it was primarily a local product, then a regional product, and then in 2001 it won the first of many prestigious awards, beating 71 premium vodkas for The Double Gold Medal in a unanimous decision by the judges at the San Francisco World Spirits competition. It's won many other awards since, and has had rave reviews inside and outside the industry, including scoring the highest Wine Spectator score of any vodka.

Gradually distribution grew, as did production, but it's still a fairly small outfit, with only 4 pot stills and reportedly not more than 18 employees, and the product apparently has just reached your area.

Try it. It's smoother than many far more expensive vodkas.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Best smoothness-per-dollar ratio I've found so far is White Magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages