Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
Yes, Iowa had that law as well. It was an inconvenience for convenience store owners because they actually had to have a separate entrance (not accessible from inside the normal store) with a separate cash register, etc. That law was done away with during the last congressional session, I believe. Works for me.
Are you sure? I grew up in Iowa City and I know the liquor section of our grocery store was right in the middle of the store. I remember there being separate entrances back in the mid 1990's when they were loosening up the rules (my parents said back in the 70's in Iowa you actually had to go to a totally separate store that was run by the state to buy your alcohol -wtf?!).

I'm just use to buying beer/wine/liquor anywhere being from Iowa and living in Illinois. Illinois seems to be about the most lax of places I've visited, at least Chicago. There are over 1,000 establishments in the city alone that are licensed to sell packaged liquor. Thousands more bars and restaurants that sell it opened.

I was walking in the Loop last Saturday along Wacker Drive and noticed little carts that were set up with guys manning stations lined with beer and liquor bottles. You could just grab one there and drink it at the tables lined up along the riverfront. The only law here you have to watch is no walking around on the streets with open alcohol. You can easily get away with it, especially along the lakefront and parks though if you just don't act stupid and put it in another container. I wouldn't sit at the beach with a glass bottle of beer right out in the open.

We always drink on the street though or at the beach. Even though they obviously sell alcohol at many areas along the lakefront and on the beaches.

My new favorite place is The Dock that just opened a few minutes walk from my condo:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-y05Xo3RSwA...s1600/Dock.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Are you sure? I grew up in Iowa City and I know the liquor section of our grocery store was right in the middle of the store. I remember there being separate entrances back in the mid 1990's when they were loosening up the rules (my parents said back in the 70's in Iowa you actually had to go to a totally separate store that was run by the state to buy your alcohol -wtf?!).

I'm just use to buying beer/wine/liquor anywhere being from Iowa and living in Illinois. Illinois seems to be about the most lax of places I've visited, at least Chicago. There are over 1,000 establishments in the city alone that are licensed to sell packaged liquor. Thousands more bars and restaurants that sell it opened.

I was walking in the Loop last Saturday along Wacker Drive and noticed little carts that were set up with guys manning stations lined with beer and liquor bottles. You could just grab one there and drink it at the tables lined up along the riverfront. The only law here you have to watch is no walking around on the streets with open alcohol. You can easily get away with it, especially along the lakefront and parks though if you just don't act stupid and put it in another container. I wouldn't sit at the beach with a glass bottle of beer right out in the open.

We always drink on the street though or at the beach. Even though they obviously sell alcohol at many areas along the lakefront and on the beaches.

My new favorite place is The Dock that just opened a few minutes walk from my condo:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-y05Xo3RSwA...s1600/Dock.jpg
I know of no such law in Iowa. The only thing I can thing of is now convenience stores can sell hard liquor where as I think they only sold beer and wine before. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember being in a QT station and hearing someone say (they were buying Jack Daniels) they were happy they could buy it there now.

No separate entrances have ever been required to my knowledge. HyVee stores have a separate door for the liquor store on some of their larger stores, but it is for convenience, not because of a law. You can pay for anything in the liquor section and purchase liquor at any register in the rest of the store. It's the same concept as a garden center added on to a WalMart or Lowes store. Separate door for ease of shopping but not restricted from the rest of the store.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM

18 posts, read 34,756 times
I live in PA where they have state stores. I can't imagine buying alcohol from a grocery store. I don't really mind at all I guess I'm used to it. I think it might be more annoying to buy beer. I don't think you can get a six pack at a beer distributor only at certain bars maybe I'm wrong. I think also that the prices are the same at PA Wine/Spirits I read. Is there a certain check out for alcohol or can you scan wine at a self serve checkout without getting carded? I don't know I never gotten alcohol from out of state so I wonder.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Nope. If you DO use the self checkout, it puts on some light or something and tell you you have to wait for an "associate". Then you have to wait for a cashier to come over anyway. This is why I NEVER use the self serve checkout at the grocery. 'cuz there's ALWAYS booze of some sort in my grocery cart!!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember being in a QT station and hearing someone say (they were buying Jack Daniels) they were happy they could buy it there now.
You're right.

This reminds me, do you know why Jack Daniels is the most popular whiskey in the Southern and Western states of the US?

Because the square bottle keeps it from rolling off the seat of a pickup truck.

Last edited by OpenD; 07-26-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You're right.

This reminds me, do you know why Jack Daniels is the most popular whiskey in the Southern and Western states of the US?

Because the square bottle keeps it from rolling of the seat of a pickup truck.
Well, any of the bottles they now carry at QT would work...they are the smaller, flatter, almost flask-shaped variety. LOL

Old 07-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Nope. If you DO use the self checkout, it puts on some light or something and tell you you have to wait for an "associate". Then you have to wait for a cashier to come over anyway. This is why I NEVER use the self serve checkout at the grocery. 'cuz there's ALWAYS booze of some sort in my grocery cart!!
That's true. The UPC codes of booze are flagged for the cashiers to check IDs anyway, and that sets off the light on self check-outs.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
A select few supermarkets in Central PA such as Wegmans and a few Giants are selling beer. A Giant near us has, I must say a pretty impressive selection.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad08am View Post
Is there a certain check out for alcohol or can you scan wine at a self serve checkout without getting carded?
No separate checkouts, you just pile the booze on the conveyor belt with the breakfast cereal and celery. In Ohio, if the cashier is under 21, s/he has to have another clerk scan the wine or beer. Stupid law, but at least the stuff is in the stores and you don't have to traipse all over the universe to get what you want.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's weird to think about the different liquor laws in various places. I'm just used to CA and going wherever I want, grocery stores, Bevmo, CVS or any drug store really. Plus all the little indy places. No restrictions, no times or days, if the store is open I can buy whatever I want. What's fascinating is that I know there would be a bunch of drama and hand wringing if some of someone in these other states proposed getting rid of restrictions, or if someone wanted to place restrictions in CA. It highlights how silly some of our big controversial issues really are. Pot laws...I'm talking about you specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages