Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

A new report finds that alcohol is to blame for one in every 30 cancer deaths each year in the United States.

While certain alcohol like wine may be good for the heart, it likely to cause 10 times more deaths than it prevents.

Along with breast cancer in women, cancers of the mouth, throat and esophagus were also common causes of alcohol-related cancer deaths in men, accounting for about 6,000 deaths each year.

It stated alcohol may cause damage to body tissues, help other damaging chemicals harm cells, prevent some nutrient absorption, and affect estrogen as well as body weight.

Alcohol Blamed for 1 in Every 30 Cancer Deaths: Study
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
According to the American Cancer Society, it's not entirely clear how alcohol might raise cancer risk. Alcohol might act as a chemical irritant to sensitive cells, impeding their DNA repair, or damage cells in other ways. It might also act as a "solvent" for other carcinogens, such as those found in tobacco smoke, helping those chemicals enter into cells more easily. Or alcohol might affect levels of key hormones such as estrogen, upping odds for breast cancer.
Sounds more like a hunch.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
When your statistic is "1 in 30" cant you apply that to anything? I mean I would think anything can affect anything 3ish percent. "1 in 30 cancer deaths are left handed"?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:37 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Life linked to 100 in 100 cancer deaths.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
So according to all the news items I've read, everything causes cancer. That's nearly as disturbing as this one stat I read, where it said human beings have a 100% mortality rate

You're going to die and there's absolutely nothing you can do to change that. Keep calm, carry on, enjoy life.

Last edited by Johnbiggs; 02-17-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
There are carcinogens that get broken down by most people in the stomach. Some people (particularly Asians) lack this enzyme or partially lack it (either causing them to be totally unable to process alcohol or just less able to do so). I saw studies that linked this thing (the Asian flush) with high rates of throat cancer. Now, other studies tried linking it to drinking hot tea, so there's a bit of reaching for straws.

I'm going to go with the theory that turning red is an indicator of whether you are susceptible to cancer from alcohol until I see data saying otherwise. I turn very pale when I drink, which is a different problem.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I would believe that it was a culprit in causing liver or pancrease cancer.... as so many alcholics have issues with their liver or pancreas.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
When your statistic is "1 in 30" cant you apply that to anything? I mean I would think anything can affect anything 3ish percent. "1 in 30 cancer deaths are left handed"?
Of course and the article or study, whatever pretty much says, could raise the risk of cancer. We have now been warned about eating too much meat, smoking, breathing in unhealthy air, drinking too much coffee, not enough coffee, using pesticides in our garden, buying non organic produce, using cell phones, standing too close to the micro and God only know what else. We also know getting older can lead to death from cancer, stroke, heart desease, diabetes, and bordom....

I think all these studies have some value, but not much: the only statistic I believe is 100% accurate: everyone will die of something, someday..

Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Life linked to 100 in 100 cancer deaths.
I hear that almost everyone who has ever died has breathed for at least a little while.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course and the article or study, whatever pretty much says, could raise the risk of cancer. We have now been warned about eating too much meat, smoking, breathing in unhealthy air, drinking too much coffee, not enough coffee, using pesticides in our garden, buying non organic produce, using cell phones, standing too close to the micro and God only know what else. We also know getting older can lead to death from cancer, stroke, heart desease, diabetes, and bordom....

I think all these studies have some value, but not much: the only statistic I believe is 100% accurate: everyone will die of something, someday..
Yep. If you added up all of the things that supposedly take X number of years off of your life, the average person would be dead by the time they're 15. One cigarette? 10 years off your life. A Big Mac? 5 year. Diet Soda? 3 years. The list goes on and on. I'm sure I could eat bean sprouts and tofu every day and live to be 115, but what kind of life would I have lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages