Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
Studies show that it may preserve for extra day or two, but really it does not remove enough atmosphere to provide a true vacuum which would be necessary to make a significant difference.
For some of us, a day or two IS a significant difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
A true vacuum has one disadvantage: since it effectively reduces the boiling point of the liquid, it would in turn separate the alcohol from the water as well as all those other compounds and combinations of the same that make each wine unique. In other words, a true vacuum would likely turn a $150 bottle of St. Pierre grand cru from Bordeaux into an undrinkable swill.

My sister's winery uses nitrogen and CO2 to displace oxygen in half-empty bottles in their tasting room. Gets an extra day or two out of a bottle.

For the original poster, my wife found a VERY cheap pinot noir. $4.95 for a 750 ml bottle. My first thought was, this will suck. No way will it compare to a fine Burgundy or a Russian River or Carneros pinot. Low expectations but surprising results. The nose is VERY pinot noir, lighter in color than the OP's malbec. It is light, fruity, with loads of red cherries and cola on the palate. Hardly any finish, but about $1 a glass for a decent pinot noir. Crane Lake, 2011, Napa and Sonoma counties, so they get the grapes where they get them. From the same people who brought us Two Buck Chuck and Franzia box wines.
Attached Thumbnails
I just bought my first bottle of red wine and suddenly discovered...-crane.jpg  

Old 06-10-2013, 12:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
The only devices that seem to preserve open bottles for an extended time are the fancy dispensers like Vinotemp that fill the empty space with argon or nitrogen gas to prevent oxidation. They're not cheap at all, like $500 and up. Your best bet is to either buy wine in the bags-boxed cartons, or throw the opened bottle in the fridge. It should keep for several days if chilled.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
talking about red wines, we just joined a wine club (you know one of those clubs that sends you a dozen bottles every 3 months) anyway, we got three extra bottle of Chianti included. The bottle says "Collezione di Paolo and the company is in Italy. it was one of the best wines I have had recently.

Nita

Old 06-10-2013, 01:26 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Am I understanding this? You stated that when you put the cork back on, that the wine only last three days?

Because I drink wine that has been sitting for years after it was opened and it is just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages