Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times

Advertisements

I confess, I have never had a bottle of wine worth more than $25. What was your most expensive bottle and did you notice a big difference than the standard bottle you buy at the store? Did it blow your mind? Did the skies part and the angels sing, or did the taste not seem all that much different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 AM

24,302 posts, read 13,147,227 times
Excluding the inflated prices one pays at a restauarnt, which I don't do anyway, the most expensive was Inwood Estates "Cornelious" Reserve, $70. It is in my opinion a superior wine and in Napa would probably price at two or three times that cost.

I once had an opportunity to sample Opus One, and I can't understand the hype. I've had Bordeaux blends from the Silverado Trail, Sonoma and even New Mexico and Texas that were on par with it.

Normally I refrain from paying more than $25, and lean towards $15 wines. There are PLENTY out there that are every bit as good as wines costing ten times that.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 12-11-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
My Father bought some vintage "grand cru" "Chateau Lafitte" when I was born and it was opened when I was 18. Apparently it was worth over $1500 a bottle which is IMO utterly obscene.

I don't actually drink alcohol and don't like booze . Red wine to me tastes like vinegar. From a very good and mild, fruity vinegar down to true gut rot.... So utterly wasted on me though my Father and Step-Mother seemed to love it. I had a sip of mine and gave my glass to my Great-Aunt. I don't think I was born to appreciate wine, any alohol to make makes my head spin, and I literally get a physical "shudder" from it. I should have my French Nationality revoked !

Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
Dom Perignon, it was a gift. Yes, awesomely good. It was about 10 years ago, I think DP is now $150+ a bottle.

And I do not even dig champagne that much, (I usually buy Korbel or a spanish Cava) thus I am not a connousieur of Champagne, so I would not buy it for myself.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 PM

114 posts, read 204,621 times
I too was given a bottle of Dom and thought it very good. On my own, I have purchased bottles of cab from Caymus, Stags Leap, Cuivason, Cain 5 and others that were great but only slightly superior to a $20 bottle.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
One night wife and I were out at a cigar bar in LI and they had a 1956 Port. Our birthdays are close together and we were both born in 1956 so we splurged. It was something like $25 for a 3 or 4 oz snifter, but it was worth every penny.

Otherwise maybe only one or two bottles over $100, a 95 Chateau Montelena and an 87 Silver Oak Bonny Vineyard, both cabs. As I got better at understanding wine I didn't see the need to spend that much. Although I still have a bottle of Montelena waiting for a special occasion.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Not sure, I'm not really a wine connoseur, but I did go to a fancy restaurant and saw on the menu a bottle of wine for $45,000. That's right, no typo, 45 grand. I actually asked the waiter if that was correct and he confirmed it.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,416 times
The Phonecian...some bottle with the word Pauillac in it...I didn't pay but the guy that did made a big to do that it cost nearly him nearly $500 for us to share a bottle . Honestly, I can't remember much about the taste other than it didn't taste much different than less expensive wines (K Jackson, R Mondavi). It was a perfect night in May, the lights, the breeze, smell of wine and desert seducing my senses... were amazing...it was a nice evening

Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,662 times
My local liquor store offers a bottle of red wine for the low low price of $65,000

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_...ds-grange-1951

Yes it's rare, yes it's over half a century old ... but that's why it cost so much, not because of the taste..... 10 bucks says it doesn't taste any better than a $20 bottle

I always get a kick out of looking at the prices of wine bottles when I go there, there are alot of wines selling for $500, $1000, even over $4000 for a bottle. Are there people that actually spend that much on a single bottle? Really? I'm sure only the most die-hard enthusiast could differentiate the taste from most $20-30 bottles.

Not wine, but some people like to mix their $10,000 bottles of whiskey with lemonade LOL ("SOLO" is a lemonade brand here), and apparently is no better than a $40 bottle
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_...whisky#Reviews

As for me, I'm, perfectly happy with my $5 bottles of sparkling wine

Last edited by Galaxyman; 12-12-2012 at 05:55 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I confess, I have never had a bottle of wine worth more than $25. What was your most expensive bottle and did you notice a big difference than the standard bottle you buy at the store? Did it blow your mind? Did the skies part and the angels sing, or did the taste not seem all that much different?
Years ago, my husband and I invited a friend over for Thanksgiving dinner. He was recently divorced and his parents were going to be out of the country that year. The friend was a private driver for a cousin of John Gotti's who owned, among other things, racehorses and an Italian pastry shop in Queens.

He brought to dinner a box of the most wonderful pastries I've ever had, as well as two bottles of wine from his boss's cellar. They were over $100 each (and this is in the mid-90s). Yes, you could truly tell the difference.

Normally I won't spend more than $20 for a bottle of wine, and usually less. I am usually happy with wines that run around $12 - $15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages