Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times

Advertisements

ssking: Yes, I have had port that I knew was expensive, at a company dinner, I did not buy... but I could seriously start liking port! There is a wine shop near me that has it and I priced what they had, too expensive for me at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
I think the most expensive bottle i've purchased has been around $75 and it was good ... i'm not sure if it was marginally better than the lower cost ($12-$25) that I typically spend to where it would be worth the upcharge - the increase in taste doesn't keep up with the increase in cost

I have had some expensive bottles during reserve tastings .... some of them were flat out amazing - many were in the $150-$300 range for a full bottle from the winery ...... again, while I really enjoyed them I don't think I could justify the upcharge ..... I'll wander into a lot of tastings at wine stores, etc and while many don't hold up to something I would want to purchase and many are simply "OK" every now and then I'll stumble on something that tastes great or i'll pick up a bottle on a whim and be blown away

I can't remember the label, but I had a general flavor profile I was looking for a couple weeks ago - found something that was reasonably priced ($14 on special from $20) and it was perfect ..... my wife and I made short work of it, in fact it was probably too good in that we emptied the bottle before we finished our card game ..... I'd rather have that bottle even at $20 for that night and that circumstance than some of the $200 bottles I've tasted

Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,963 times
I've had some periods in my life where I was spending $200-300 a night on wine (a couple bottles), and the only time it gave me pause was when it was at a restaurant and I was overpaying.

It's always worth it! It's my favorite thing in the world. But I'm not a thousand-dollar-bottle guy, don't think I could deal with that.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,691,247 times
I think I paid maybe $100 for a good Barolo on occasion. Gave them to my Dad and he was happy to stick them in the cellar for a rainy day. So yeah, I guess it was worth it.

I also paid like $90 in a restaurant for a mediocre Bordeaux. It was not worth it, and since then I mostly drink inexpensive wines at bars and restaurants. My internal dialogue is always something like this:

"$150 for a bottle of Amarone. Hmm, it would go really nice with my meal."

"Yeah, but I'll probably only get one glass, two at most. I can buy 4 BOTTLES of Amarone to drink at my house for $150."

"Oh, hello waiter. I'll have the house merlot."

Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
30 bucks, i drink too much wine to spend more than that

Old 10-26-2013, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
I think it was about $36 at Crabby's a few years ago and No, it wasn't. We usually do not buy wine that is more than about $12 a bottle, more like under $10 most of the time and we rarely buy a bottle in a restaurant over $20.00.

We do love our wine, but certainly are not wine snobs, of course we can tell the difference between crappy Carlo Rossi or Peter Villa but as far as $10.00 bottles or $40.00, nope!!!!

Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
I wish I could come across a wine that really has a good taste. It never tastes as bad as vinegar, but, it's not far off. A fruity rum drink goes down so smoothly.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:10 PM

126,287 posts, read 19,062,233 times
Actually it was given to me as a gift,myself I would not buy that expensive.It was a ,,Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese'' from Mosel, Germany ($17 worth the price ) I remember it citrusy tasting and an alcohol content of 10.5% . The sweet wine looked pale lemon in color, tasted after lemon, grapefruit and a touch peachy. As a gift anytime again

Old 10-26-2013, 08:08 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I wish I could come across a wine that really has a good taste. It never tastes as bad as vinegar, but, it's not far off. A fruity rum drink goes down so smoothly.
Ack, I can't stand the taste of rum. I'll stick with red wine!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Being a cheapskate ... um, excuse me ... a thrifty person ... I rarely sample wines that are over $25 a bottle When I first got out of college I was roommates with a guy my own age that was beginning a brilliant career as a chef. He was a recent graduate of the Culinary Institute of America and despite his relative youth quite the wine connoisseur and expert. I asked him if Dom Perignon Champagne was all that it was cracked up to be, and his reply was that while it was nice, his favorite champagne was Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame." Once some friends and I went to this guy's restaurant (he was actually just the sous chef) and I ordered a bottle of it ($150!!!) ... but I know it was really special ... dry, toasty, very slightly tart like a green apple but mellow like fresh baked bread. I had money back in those days, so I thought it was worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages