Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times

Advertisements

The systems you are referring to are light/temperature controlled and use nitrogen as a line propellant which, by chemical nature, prevents oxidation. By tasting experience, I find that they work quite well at preserving the wine's freshness. A friend/wine bar owner invested in a 50 bottle system about a decade ago for what, at the time, was $30,000. He claims that it has paid for itself at least twice and allows him to actually keep his by-the-glass prices lower because the wines keep much longer and there is, of course, less waste he has to make up for in his overhead costs. He claims that the average bottle of red will last about 30 days with no noticeable decrease in quality. Whites will keep for up to 60 days due to the fact that they are usually served chilled and are less prone to oxidation. I think, all around, they have proven to be worthwhile for both the proprietor and the consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The systems you are referring to are light/temperature controlled and use nitrogen as a line propellant which, by chemical nature, prevents oxidation. By tasting experience, I find that they work quite well at preserving the wine's freshness. A friend/wine bar owner invested in a 50 bottle system about a decade ago for what, at the time, was $30,000. He claims that it has paid for itself at least twice and allows him to actually keep his by-the-glass prices lower because the wines keep much longer and there is, of course, less waste he has to make up for in his overhead costs. He claims that the average bottle of red will last about 30 days with no noticeable decrease in quality. Whites will keep for up to 60 days due to the fact that they are usually served chilled and are less prone to oxidation. I think, all around, they have proven to be worthwhile for both the proprietor and the consumer.
Thanks for the answer. I have had extensive training in wine and was very well versed many years ago. Of course, I learned much at the CIA and my years of working. However, that was before the invention of these systems.

Livecontent

Old 02-26-2014, 11:41 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,136,400 times
Some crap billionaire David Koch gave me. It sucked real bad. I like Boone's Farm.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
One time when I worked for a rather eccentric but wealthy man who traveled the world, he brought me back a bottle of red French wine. I saved it for a special occasion and when I drank it, it tasted like velvet, delicious. I wish I could remember what it was, but of course wines differ from year to year anyway. Ever since then, any other red wine tastes somewhat watery to me and just doesn't have that extraordinary mind boggling magic whatever it was that this wine had.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:27 PM

577 posts, read 900,666 times
Years ago a date brought over a 100$+ bottle of wine. I was mortified he spent so much. To be honest I wasn't impressed-- but the stuff I love would be considered cheap swill by the connoisseurs .

Old 02-26-2014, 03:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
The most costly bottle of wine I've had was presented to me by vile people who were making a point to show off their wealth. And, no, it wasn't worth it.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
I don't drink wine (beer only, lol), but me & my dad went out to dinner with one his friends and his new wife the other night at a steakhouse. I think my dad ordered a bottle of wine that was about $150 or $200 Needless to say I was happy I wasn't paying the bill for dinner that night, lol

Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 PM

90 posts, read 123,771 times
There's a point of diminishing returns with respect to wine prices.

IME it's a lot lower than most people think. That doesn't mean that there aren't good and bad wines at most prices (above $8 a bottle or so)... quite the contrary. It just means you don't really get your money's worth (not in quality anyway) spending megabucks on wine. Or most things.

For me, the typical price point is about $11/bottle, correct upward for places like NY/SF etc.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,961 times
Hubby and I were at a wine tasting in Germany many years ago. We sampled a very expensive white wine and was probably the most delicious wine I've tasted. Too far out of our price range at the time.

I'm more of a cheap wine person these days. Love the Trader Joe wines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages