Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 PM

149 posts, read 256,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Was that meant to be a joke? In any case, it's not true, unless you are buying flavored wines.

When people talk about cherry flavors or butter or whatever in a wine they are talking about very faint, slight flavor notes and overtones LIKE cherry, and butter, etc. At the beginning you may not even be able to distinguish between the major flavor notes, but just note what you like and stay loose and over time you will begin to notice subtler differences?

For someone just beginning, and wanting to stick to a single glass a day, I'd recommend you look at the 3 liter box wines that are available everywhere now. Not the 5 liter or 7 liter boxes, which tend to be what used to be called "jug" wines, which aren't noted for quality, and which would last too long for your purposes. But the 3 liter boxes tend to be a higher quality, and because of the packaging will dispense a glass a day without spoilage until you are done...

No it isn't a joke I have been to enough winery's and have learned a lot about wines and how they are stored and aged, and they will pick up the flavor of what ever barrel they are stored in, such as Oak, Cherry wood. Also the region where the wine is made will also give off a different flavor The USA tends to be more heavier on the flavor vers France. Also the Grapes have a lot to do with the flavor including the time of year and the harvest and whether or not they are using just one type of grape or if they are using different grapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyDC10AA View Post
No it isn't a joke I have been to enough winery's and have learned a lot about wines and how they are stored and aged, and they will pick up the flavor of what ever barrel they are stored in, such as Oak, Cherry wood.
Yes, cherrywood or applewood or chestnut barrels will give different tastes to wine than oak will, but very, very little wine is aged in anything but oak.

But many a good red wine, aged in oak, will produce cherry flavor notes. And that is typically what a wine description means when it describes cherry flavor.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,736 times

CSI: - Wine And Diamonds - YouTube

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
I just bought a bottle of wine for the first time. I've drank wine many times, but I've never bought it. I either drank it at a restaurant, or at parties with friends. But I never bought a bottle of wine before.

I have tried to avoid alcohol for years because of a family history of alcoholism. However, I am confident now that I have the willpower to drink in moderation - however even so I intend to be very cautious.

The sole reason, the only reason, for drinking wine, is because of the health benefits. I keep reading about how good one glass of wine per day is for your health - especially for me because I have high blood pressure. Wine is said to do wonders for heart health, as well as increasing longevity (life span). So I would be an idiot not to be drinking one glass a day.

So I finally bought a bottle.
Here's the bottle I decided on. The store had a limited selection, but I had to start somewhere. The label says it is flavored like dark cherry and blackberry - well I love cherry so I figured I'd give it a try. It's really good! I like it.

However, I immediately discovered upon opening the bottle, that I didn't know how to close it or how long it will last. It was to my dismay, upon reading google results about it, that just shoving the cork back on there, it will last a mere 3 days! What??

Like, I try to be economical with my money, and I don't intend to buy a new bottle of wine every 3 days. Then again, after thinking about it, I realize that 4-6 glasses can come out of 1 bottle. So at the very least, I need to double the normal longevity of a bottle of wine. I suppose I could buy 4 bottles a month. Still, that's rather expensive! Oh well, it's my health and it's important. Maybe I'll drink a glass every other day, and make one bottle last 2 weeks, and then I'm only buying two bottles per month.

So how do I store the bottle of wine and increase its longevity to about 2 weeks?

Moreover, what do you suggest is the best method to go about what I'm trying to do, which is to simply drink one glass of red wine per day for pure health benefits?
first of all: Malbec has suddenly become our fav wine and is becoming very trendy. It seems today's in wine will be tomorrow ho hum wine: We had Cab, then Merlo, then Pino and now it seems to be Malbec.

Does it have health benefits, of course like everything, that is a matter of opinion, but there is more proof it does than does not. Both my husbands cardiologist and his oncologist say, do drink a couple glasses a day. Will it put fat on you? No, it really isn't as high in calories as a soft drink, especially if you are talking about a glass of two a day. Now, how long will it keep and how to re-cork it? You can buy, wine closers for a very little amount of money that work better, than trying to re-cork red wine. It will keep about a week usually, but I have seen it taste pretty musty even after 3 or 4 days. If you are talking about simply drinking it for health purposes like you say and are not going to serve it to guests, ok, but when you have company, please open a new bottle. Someone suggested you try buying boxed wine. That is a great ides. It will stay fresh much longer.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 AM

24,302 posts, read 13,147,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, cherrywood or applewood or chestnut barrels will give different tastes to wine than oak will, but very, very little wine is aged in anything but oak.

But many a good red wine, aged in oak, will produce cherry flavor notes. And that is typically what a wine description means when it describes cherry flavor.
The oak releases phenols, esters and other chemicals which impart flavors and aromas similar to cherry, plum, etc. It also may help the wine develop flavors that have nothing to do with the wood it's aged in. Examples: tempranillo has a tendency to have leather aromas and flavors, but leather is not used in the vinting of the wine. Pinot noir can have a mushroom or barnyard nose... I hope no barnyards are used in the making of a great Russian River pinot. Other reds exhibit cigar box, tobacco, dark berries, chocolate, coffee, and other notes, both on the nose and in the taste, but those elements are not used unless they're added flavorings. A malo-lactic chardonnay has a lot of buttery notes from the diacetyl produced by the fermentation, but no butter is used. And then there are the wines such as sauvignon blanc or viognier or unoaked chardonnay, fermented in stainless steel, with their tropical notes.

Muscadine, an American grape, often has the nose that is reminiscent of NASCAR or drag races, sort of a burnt rubber and gasoline aroma, which is just part of the grape's character; have a bottle of Mount Bethel (AR) red at home. The previous poster would hopefully approve.

I asked my sister about this... she is an assistant winemaker in California. (I get a lot of free wine as a result.) She doesn't know of any wines that use anything other than oak, whether as a free-standing barrel or as chips to impart flavor during the fermentation and resting. She said it doesn't mean they don't use other woods (retsina, a Greek wine, has a lot of pine in it... an acquired taste) but she doesn't know anyone mainstream who uses anything else.

Out of curiosity, I looked up something and came up with this, an article about the differences in oaks (French, American, Hungarian, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_(wine)

Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
A few things...

There are four and a half glasses of wine per standard bottle. If you are drinking one glass per day, there is no need to try to keep it for two weeks.

There is really no way to make wine last two weeks.

Shoving the cork back in will not keep it, either, even for three days, in my opinion. Once air is in the bottle, the wine starts oxidizing.

Get yourself a Vintage Vac (link just for pic, you'll have to hunt around, but I love mine), Vacu Vin or other tool that will pump the air out of the bottle and form an air-proof seal. They will keep your wine for a few days with little change. Thing is, once you pour a glass, you'll need to reseal the bottle right away. If you leave it open just on the counter for even a few hours, the wine will start to oxidize.

Also, you can buy half-bottles of some wines, although in the long run it will be more expensive.

Last edited by Lilac110; 06-04-2013 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
The OP is a male, so here is one source of information about how much wine HE needs to drink to derive the health benefits: How much is enough red wine? :: Men's Health

Using that formula, his bottle should last from 2-4 days. That would be easy to keep fresh tasting using a Vacu Vin System. We've used them for years, find them cheap and reliable, and keep the wine decent tasting for up to 4-5 days, MAXIMUM. Some wines will keep better than others, and frankly, a really good bottle of wine will change flavor after about 24 hours, so if you're opening one of those, invite friends to share it with you.

Replace the rubber stoppers every year or so as the vacuum seals do get loose and they are cheap. Don't put the red wine in the fridge. For those interested in white wines, generally they do keep longer using the Vacu Vin (maybe up to 10 days) but you should refrigerate them.

BTW, your first choice was a very good one. The Alamos malbec is one of our house wines and I grab it anytime it's at Costco or on sale. If you want to try a cab or pinot noir, and save a few bucks, you might want to try the Rex Goliath 47 Pound Rooster brand. (I would not recommend any of their other varietals, however.)

Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 AM

24,302 posts, read 13,147,227 times
There are some very good wines out there that are adapting screwcaps. It's not just for Riunite anymore. Also, a screwcap is exempt from an infrequent but annoying fault of corks, namely a bad cork that results in an undrinkable wine, with aromas of wet dog and dirty socks, among others.

I have found an inexpensive yet excellent pinot noir is from Chile, from Pepperwood Grove. It comes with a plastic stopper that can be reused.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
The Octavin dispensing wine packaging keeps its wine fresh for 6 weeks after opening. Nothing compares. Seriously.

Octavin packaged wines come in a patented multilayer airtight 3 liter bag inside an 8 sided carton, designed to fit in little more space than a champagne bottle, but which holds the equivalent of 4 standard wine bottles. It's a quantum leap over the old "wine in a box" packages, which, combined with low quality wine selections, turned many American consumers off to boxed wines in years past. But this is a whole 'nother animal.

The unique Octavin packaging is combined with a curatorial passion the inventor has for good wine, so the only wines that get approved to used the packaging have already passed a level of muster above the level of the average supermarket selection. I've tasted many of the Octavin selections and never had a bad one.

For someone who wants to buy a nice wine at a reasonable price, and drink a glass a day, it's pretty much the perfect solution to buy wine in this packaging.

Octavin Home Wine Bar

Old 06-05-2013, 07:05 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,411 times
i didn't see anyone suggest this....but some companies offer small bottles in a 4 pack. my wife buys those sometimes....she gets about 2 glasses per bottle..... it's worth a look i think if you can find one you like....

Barefoot Merlot 4-pack - 20 West Wine & Spirits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages