Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times

Advertisements

I enjoy many classic cocktails. If they call for citrus or other juice I always use fresh squeezed fruit. Many such drinks use simple syrup. I use superfine bar sugar (which, unlike powdered sugar, contains no starch as noted in another thread). Simple syrup is annoying to make, requires refrigeration and dilutes the drink with water. All downside IMO. Bar sugar dissolves instantly, keeps forever and truly is simple. In fact, the syrup should be called "complex syrup" by comparison. What's the point? Am I missing something here? Please convince me that it produces a better result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 05:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
There's no reason to slavishly follow a recipe if you know a better way to do it as long as the drinks meet your standards and are objectively as good or better. Certain recipes, both food and drink, specify marinating fruit in simple syrup. In fact, sugar creates its own syrup when used alone as the water is drawn from the fruit by osmosis. Try it both ways with a strawberry sample. The strawberries treated with granulated sugar will have a more intense taste. Simple syrup has been around for a long time dating to the days when it was very difficult or impossible to gind something like superfine sugar. In earlier times all people could get were larger granules and powder.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There's no reason to slavishly follow a recipe if you know a better way to do it as long as the drinks meet your standards and are objectively as good or better. Certain recipes, both food and drink, specify marinating fruit in simple syrup. In fact, sugar creates its own syrup when used alone as the water is drawn from the fruit by osmosis. Try it both ways with a strawberry sample. The strawberries treated with granulated sugar will have a more intense taste. Simple syrup has been around for a long time dating to the days when it was very difficult or impossible to gind something like superfine sugar. In earlier times all people could get were larger granules and powder.
Yes! And yet recipes continue to call for it.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:07 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Yes! And yet recipes continue to call for it.
Because some people don't see a downside to it and it's easier when making drinks in volume and not all cocktails are about how strong they are. If you just want a strong shot buy 151 and be done with it.

If at home you don't mind the extra steps and thinks it works better for you...then great. Use it. It doesn't make you a hipster cocktail purist. Both bar sugar and simple syrup are solid ingredients. .pick what you like best and don't fret that others have different opinions.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Because some people don't see a downside to it and it's easier when making drinks in volume and not all cocktails are about how strong they are. If you just want a strong shot buy 151 and be done with it.

If at home you don't mind the extra steps and thinks it works better for you...then great. Use it. It doesn't make you a hipster cocktail purist. Both bar sugar and simple syrup are solid ingredients. .pick what you like best and don't fret that others have different opinions.
Who's fretting?

And beyond that: "Who said anything about how strong they are? Anyway, that's what a cocktail shaker and ice are for. Hipster purist? Where's that come from? Both are solid ingredients?

What are you talking about?

Old 12-15-2014, 12:03 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Dilution isn't always a bad thing--some drinks are better for it with a little dilution. It's why some drinks are shaken, for example. Also, simple syrup is easy to infuse, so you can easily add another layer to a drink.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Who's fretting?

And beyond that: "Who said anything about how strong they are? Anyway, that's what a cocktail shaker and ice are for. Hipster purist? Where's that come from? Both are solid ingredients?

What are you talking about?
Solid meaning good/useful/suitable ingredients depending on the specfic application.

While sometimes they can be used interchangeably....doesn't mean they always should be. I don't like using bar sugar in a shaker for example simple syrup works better.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:30 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Who's fretting?
Well, if you can't figure out why syrup is used in some drinks, and continue to press the issue even after your question has been answered ...

Quote:
And beyond that: "Who said anything about how strong they are?
You did:
Quote:
Simple syrup is annoying to make, requires refrigeration and dilutes the drink with water. All downside IMO.
You don't like using syrup. Don't use it. Problem solved.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:57 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,528 times
I make my simple syrup from bar sugar. Is that strange???

Old 01-20-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
I make my simple syrup from bar sugar. Is that strange???
Not strange but unneeded and more expensive.

Bar sugar is simply superfine sugar that will dissolve easily. This is great when using it in a drink where things are mixed in the glass (such as an Old Fashioned)..but unneeded when put into a solution (like simple syrup) beforehand.

Save some money....save the bar sugar for when it's actually needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages