Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:42 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times

Advertisements

Boston Lager was the first beer I ever drank and said, "Holy ----, beer can taste good!"

Obviously, years later I'm drinking stronger beers, but Sam Adams always holds a special place with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 10:16 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Sam Adams is horrible? Sam Adams makes over 60 different kinds of beer. Which one was horrible? One of the few beers I've ever bought and poured down the drain was Sam's Whitewater IPA. I'm not a big fan of the IPA style, but I think Sam Adams should just give up and make other styles. They have made several IPAs, but they are so bitter that I can't drink them. OTOH, their Octoberfest is consistently one of the best produced. While I'm not overly fond of Boston Lager (and several of us have told Sam Adams so), I really like Boston Ale. Other Sam beers I like include Porch Rocker, Cold Snap, Hoppy Red, Harvest Pumpkin, Maple Ale, Noble Pils, and Caramel Bock.

I liked Blackberry Witbier, but they have quit making it. They made Crystal Pale Ale last year, but it must not have sold well. It's gone from the rotation too.

I'd buy more of their variety packs if they would quit putting Boston Lager in every single box.
I've checked in 29 different types at this point, none over 3 stars. They're pretty uniformly horrible.

No reason to ever drink Sam Adams when even when I can't get Trillium everywhere, Singlecut, Grimm, and plenty of other great breweries are around.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:05 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Yes, there are a lot of great breweries out there
I still like a lot of Sam Adams brews too.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:34 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
nothing but Fox DeLuxe for me

Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
[BI really like Boston Ale. Other Sam beers I like include Porch Rocker, Cold Snap, Hoppy Red, Harvest Pumpkin, Maple Ale, Noble Pils, and Caramel Bock.
I will say that they did a good job of copying Pilsner Urquell with Noble Pils...it is one of the better beers attempting to compare to probably the best lager ever...but, I'll just go with the best since it is available.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:44 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Pardon if it has been mentioned but I've really been into Maine Brewing Co.'s offerings lately
Particularly Peeper Ale

Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I will say that they did a good job of copying Pilsner Urquell with Noble Pils...it is one of the better beers attempting to compare to probably the best lager ever...but, I'll just go with the best since it is available.
I'm a pils fan too and the Noble Pils was pretty good, I can only find one called Downtime Pilsner from Boston Brewing these days and I don't like it as much.

If you see it, try Blue Paddle Pils from New Belgium, in my opinion it's the perfect American pils.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Pardon if it has been mentioned but I've really been into Maine Brewing Co.'s offerings lately
Particularly Peeper Ale
This is the one popular Maine brewer I can't get into. Dinner is hugely overrated. Lunch is good on tap. I dunno.

Bissel Bros? Sign me up... there are so very many great brewers in the Portland area. Definitely a destination. Killer food scene as well.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:18 PM

55 posts, read 48,163 times
And the debate goes on! There have been a few beers I've tried that I would equate to Falstaff from back in my day and I certainly don't drink any mainstream domestic beer. When I stock up I will always throw in a sixer of something I've never tried (mostly Porters and Stouts). A lot of them I wouldn't buy again but I've found there is always something to appreciate. After all, someone is buying it and unless you are simply looking for a cheap buzz, someone likes it. I've added some really good beers to my list of "buy agains" and "go to's" by being adventurous.

"Taste the beer, not the water"

Old 08-26-2017, 09:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Miller Light
Coors Light
Busch Light
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages