Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:13 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times

Advertisements

OP, I know you now can't go to this "fun event" , but still ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
No there aren't, but everyone knows to stop when it goes too far. If somebody becomes aggressive or looks like they are about to pass out, that person is taken care of.
The thing is, OP, when you are drinking and drinking and drinking ... you DON'T know to stop when it goes too far. You don't know what "too far" IS. What do you think alcohol DOES when you drink that much? (And I say that as someone who DOES drink alcohol, but in moderation!! I would never do what you described -- it does not sound like fun at all -- in fact, it sounds like a good way to get alcohol poisoning, as at least one other poster has written. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 06:11 PM

361 posts, read 432,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I know you now can't go to this "fun event" , but still ...

The thing is, OP, when you are drinking and drinking and drinking ... you DON'T know to stop when it goes too far. You don't know what "too far" IS. What do you think alcohol DOES when you drink that much? (And I say that as someone who DOES drink alcohol, but in moderation!! I would never do what you described -- it does not sound like fun at all -- in fact, it sounds like a good way to get alcohol poisoning, as at least one other poster has written. )
I look forward to hearing stories about that day lol. Seems like there will be a lot of ambulances on that property.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Update: I was not there for the event yesterday, but it got so out of hand, 5 ambulances had to be called and all the alcohol had to be confiscated by an older relative in the middle of the evening. I'm glad I missed it. Thankfully there were no fatalities, and everyone will be ok.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:40 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
Simple answer: Yes.

More complicated answer: Your body is designed to break down alcohol at a rate of one serving per hour. One serving is typically one standard shot, one 12 oz beer, or one serving of wine. You get drunk when you exceed that. In other words, two beers and hour, without a built tolerance, can get you drunk. If you'd like to get drunk without getting sick, you need to drink slower. Throwing up is your body's way of preventing an overdose. Stick to two drinks an hour and you should be feeling good without hating yourself the next day.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:26 AM

711 posts, read 688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
Update: I was not there for the event yesterday, but it got so out of hand, 5 ambulances had to be called and all the alcohol had to be confiscated by an older relative in the middle of the evening. I'm glad I missed it. Thankfully there were no fatalities, and everyone will be ok.
As you've said - thankfully there were no fatalities. I was also glad to see as your thread progressed that your interest in the event seemed to fade. I was also glad to see that something else came up and you weren't able to attend.

IMO from the first time this "event" happened, it was a disaster/fatality waiting to happen. Thankfully this year it was just a disaster and not a fatality. Hopefully what happened this year will be enough to open a few eyes so that everyone sees there's just no way this is a good idea or "harmless" event.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
As you've said - thankfully there were no fatalities. I was also glad to see as your thread progressed that your interest in the event seemed to fade. I was also glad to see that something else came up and you weren't able to attend.

IMO from the first time this "event" happened, it was a disaster/fatality waiting to happen. Thankfully this year it was just a disaster and not a fatality. Hopefully what happened this year will be enough to open a few eyes so that everyone sees there's just no way this is a good idea or "harmless" event.
I hope so, but these people are all at the stage where they drink to "test their limits." "I'm testing my limits tonight." Nothing I can do except hope they stay smart.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:16 PM

154 posts, read 132,418 times
If you drink some before, you get used to alcohol and can handle more, so build up to the time you are expected to drink a lot.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:06 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,305 times
When my mom's side, big Irish Catholic family, has a family reunion, we tend to drink all day. usually start off with mimosa with breakfast, than cocktails throughout the day hanging by the pool, going on the boat, etc. Of course, we have lunch and dinner. It is a very family festive time where everyone is in good spirits and having a good time. Therefore, not redneck, trashy, etc. Do not most poeple who drink and while on vacation tend to drink more?

Old 05-04-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
When my mom's side, big Irish Catholic family, has a family reunion, we tend to drink all day. usually start off with mimosa with breakfast, than cocktails throughout the day hanging by the pool, going on the boat, etc. Of course, we have lunch and dinner. It is a very family festive time where everyone is in good spirits and having a good time. Therefore, not redneck, trashy, etc. Do not most poeple who drink and while on vacation tend to drink more?
That sounds nice, but this event was strictly drinking and walking into stores trashed, etc.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:53 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but a lot of the hangover effect is simply dehydration. Drink some water before you go to bed to sleep it off. Maybe keep a glass of water on your nightstand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages