Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:57 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I was just wondering if people really like the taste of alcohol or do you drink for different reasons?

Anyway, I was just wondering if you really "like" it or do you drink for other reasons?
I believe that you meant to ask if anyone actually likes the taste of alcoholic beverages. Pure alcohol is effin' nasty and I can't imagine that there would be too many people who actually enjoy that taste. You might as well ask if anyone enjoys a good drink of bleach, chlorine, or turpentine. While you can definitely taste the alcohol in many drinks, it has been largely watered down and flavored. A typical can of beer is around 94% water. Wine, not much less. Plus both are flavored; malt is really sweet while hops are really bitter. And most are familiar with grape juice. Spirits are the same way, watered down and and flavored, usually from the wood casks that they are aged in. Vodka is the only one that is considered neutral in flavor. Also, drinking alcoholic beverages cold masks the taste as well.

Aside from that, yes I like alcoholic beverages and while I enjoy vodka chilled or on the rocks I generally do not like the taste of stronger alcoholic beverages. I hate wine, wine coolers, and any funky drink like Mike's Hard Lemonade or Zima. I used to be a pretty serious beer snob but I have toned that down a bit. I would still slap anyone who attempted to hand me a Bud Lite, though. When it comes to liquor, it's top shelf all the way.

I usually do not drink mixed drinks except for Greyhounds, Screwdrivers and the occasional Bloody Mary made as hot as humanly possible. I only like shots if they are straight up; none of those funky chocolate cakes, lemon drops, grape apes, etc. A prairie fire is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:08 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
Wine, Cognac, Beer,mixed drinks, etc are all fine for me. I just do it in moderation.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:35 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,737,168 times
I do enjoy the taste of certain beers, such as Hoegaarden, which is very refreshing with a slice of lemon, served in a tall glass, especially in the summer !

Good wine, paired with certain foods, is spectacular.

And, sometimes a dirty martini, ice cold with three olives, hits the spot.

But, alas, I try not to overdo it these days.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:36 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
I really like champagne & sweet white wines like Sauternes and ice wines. I enjoy beer as well but I prefer the wheat beers over other styles. In hard alcohol I like vodka the best but there are very few I can drink without mixers. My favorite liquor drinks are black & white Russians.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:30 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,610 times
Default Do people actually like the taste of alcohol?

Do people actually like the taste of alcohol? I think it tastes like &^($# That is just my opinion. I only drink it on very rare occasions because everyone else does. However, I never liked how 99% of the drinks tasted. Do people actually like alcohol or does everyone else just drink to socialize and feel better? I am just curious.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Do people actually like the taste of alcohol? I think it tastes like &^($# That is just my opinion. I only drink it on very rare occasions because everyone else does. However, I never liked how 99% of the drinks tasted. Do people actually like alcohol or does everyone else just drink to socialize and feel better? I am just curious.
Well, I can honestly say that I do like the taste of alcohol. And not just in sweet drinks either. My drink of choice is Wild Turkey straight up and neat! I also like the taste of tequila, brandy and most other alcoholic beverages.

Unfortunately I do NOT like the effects, so I usually limit my drinking to just one or at the very most two.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,143 times
I like the taste of it. If I didn't, I wouldn't drink it and I would not feel under pressure or out of place. Sometimes I don't feel like drinking alcohol, or can't because I'm driving or just need to be perfectly sober, and it's no big deal to have a glass of sparkling water instead.

I love wine. I love the complex, different tastes of the various grapes and regions, red and white, but mostly red. I find it all quite fascinating. I'm not a wine snob and have no desire to join a wine-tasting club (too much of that terminology stuff bores me & some of it sounds downright silly) but I like learning about different grapes and vintages from my wine knowledgeable friends.

Same for beer. Since I've been back in Australia, I've experimented more with various beers and ales, local and imported. Nothing nicer on a hot day, than sitting outside in a restaurant or beer garden with a pint of amber ale, imo.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:48 PM

590 posts, read 1,013,404 times
I like it. Glenlivet neat is my preferred liquor. I do like the taste of (good) wine and many european beers (I am not disrepecting American beers, I drink them, they just are too "light" for my taste).
Some liquors I don't care to drink them straight but use them mostly for cocktails (gin, rum, tequila), but I like a good vodka here and there.
And wine...I could talk about wine forever...

Now, if you want to be specific you might say that people like the taste of what's in drink with the alcohol more than the "taste of alcohol". Obviously drinking pure 100% alcohol is not "tasty"; it's the different ingredients and processes that make gin different from vodka and scotch different from tequila.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:02 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,021 times
In my younger, wild days, hahaha, I think I tried most alcoholic beveragesIf I didn't like the taste, never again. But I think that I have drank my share and maybe others, of Brandy, vodka, Scotch, B & B (Benedictine and Brandy) wines, and some beers. Even tried Sloe Gin once. Nooooooooooo, never again....too sweet and , well, let's just say never again.

Now we have a glass or two of Missouri wines. Red or white. DH likes dryer and I like a little, ok, a lot more sweeter. I still like some brandy and some rums, Puerto Rican, especially.

Oh, yes, forgot the microbrews. Our sons have introduced us to some and there are a few that I really liked.

Last edited by Northwoods Voyager; 09-18-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 PM

11,268 posts, read 11,032,046 times
It depends on the type. I'll drink wine or hard liquor if it's offered at a party or social event, but it's not my first choice.

On the other hand though, I don't believe anything is as refreshing as an ice cold bottle of Pale Ale or other similar microbrew on a hot day. What's even better is that the sixth one tastes just as good as the first! CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages