Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 PM

110 posts, read 994,748 times

Advertisements

Four days ago I trimmed all of my nose hairs way back, and plucked a few. Within a couple of hours, I noticed I was getting a stuffy and runny nose. The next day, I had a very bad runny nose and constant sneezing. My symptoms have gotten a little better over the past couple of days, but I still constantly feel like I need to sneeze, with a runny nose.

I have a history of environmental allergies. I had to stop allergy immunotherapy injections 3.5 months ago due to having no insurance. Yet, I have had no problems or increase in allergy symptoms since.

What am I experiencing? Did trimming my nose hairs way back make me more suspectable to some kind of allergy attack? Could this just be a cold? ( I have NO other symptoms).

Can anyone suggest an over the counter remedy to try to help this along. I was considering saline nasal irrigation? (I can't take antihistamines due to already existing chronic dry eye condition.)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,175 times
I'd guess nose hairs do stop some pollen & other airborne irritants.

In the meantime, put a little antibiotic ointment on a q-tip and swab it around just inside your nose. It will catch some of the stuff that's driving your sinuses nuts.

I learned that tip from an ICU nurse.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:38 PM

345 posts, read 1,641,372 times
Water is really the best antihistamine. Drink lots of it. By just help that dry eye too.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:45 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
Nose hairs filter out dust and pollens. It is okay to trim them from protruding from the exterior of the nose, but you should not remove all of them. I did that once and actually got sores in my nose.

I agree with the advice to use some cream on a Q-Tip for now. Antibiotic ointment is not necessary. Try Vaseline or Aquaphor.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
Nose hairs filter out dust and pollens. It is okay to trim them from protruding from the exterior of the nose, but you should not remove all of them. I did that once and actually got sores in my nose.

I agree with the advice to use some cream on a Q-Tip for now. Antibiotic ointment is not necessary. Try Vaseline or Aquaphor.

...sooo if there is a "sore" inside the nose that could possibly be infected, you're tell the OP NOT to use an antibiotic ointment but petroleum jelly is O.K. ?

Use antibiotic ointment. Preferably NOT based in petroleum.

A small infection inside the nose CAN trigger histamines and make your eyes water and also make you sneeze.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:56 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
...sooo if there is a "sore" inside the nose that could possibly be infected, you're tell the OP NOT to use an antibiotic ointment but petroleum jelly is O.K. ?

Use antibiotic ointment. Preferably NOT based in petroleum.

A small infection inside the nose CAN trigger histamines and make your eyes water and also make you sneeze.
The OP said nothing about a sore in the nose, but said allergy symptoms had increased. I think the use of antibiotic ointments and oral antibiotics has gotten out of control and should not be used when not deemed necessary. Petroleum-based products lubricate the nasal cavities. I did not use such a product in my case I described in a previous post.

Last edited by redjan1225; 06-21-2010 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: More info added.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
The OP said nothing about a sore in the nose, but said allergy symptoms had increased. I think the use of antibiotic ointments and oral antibiotics has gotten out of control and should not be used when not deemed necessary.

read my post again.... and again if you don't understand it the first time.

This is what I wrote;

"A small infection inside the nose CAN trigger histamines and make your eyes water and also make you sneeze."

Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 77,590 times
I have a nose hair trimmer and I found that my allergic reactions stopped abruptly since I have started using it to shave off all my nose hair. I used to cough and sneeze a lot, but it is all something of the past since the use of the nose hair cutter.

I want to recommend it to any person who has problems with with allergic conditions. Dr. Oz also had a show during which he showed people the benefits of removing nose hair.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert321 View Post
Four days ago I trimmed all of my nose hairs way back, and plucked a few. Within a couple of hours, I noticed I was getting a stuffy and runny nose. The next day, I had a very bad runny nose and constant sneezing. My symptoms have gotten a little better over the past couple of days, but I still constantly feel like I need to sneeze, with a runny nose.

I have a history of environmental allergies. I had to stop allergy immunotherapy injections 3.5 months ago due to having no insurance. Yet, I have had no problems or increase in allergy symptoms since.

What am I experiencing? Did trimming my nose hairs way back make me more suspectable to some kind of allergy attack? Could this just be a cold? ( I have NO other symptoms).

Can anyone suggest an over the counter remedy to try to help this along. I was considering saline nasal irrigation? (I can't take antihistamines due to already existing chronic dry eye condition.)

Thank you!
Did you think God put nose hairs in for decoration?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:32 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
You could have infected yourself with a virus! Anything going into your nose (or eyes, mouth) should be very clean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies