Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,980 times

Advertisements

I had such horrible coughing spells so I went to the doctor. She said it's allergies and prescribed Allegra D. It works great. I'm back to normal with no coughing at all.
Now, can anyone help me find out when I should take the Allegra? It costs $30 a month so I can't afford to take it every day.
I don't have a clue as to when my coughing spells will hit. Should I watch the pollen count? or should I just wait until I start coughing and then begin taking the Allegra?
I realize this is kind of a goofy question but I'd like to know when my allergy is going to flair up.
Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Is coughing the only symptom of allergies that you have? I've found that allergies are really difficult to predict. The mold count and pollen count could be sky high and I'll have no problems, and then they could be low and I'll be sneezing like crazy and I'm allergic to both of those. There's just no rhyme or reason. The quickest thing that works for me is to pop a chewable vitamin C and this will usually put an immediate stop to the problems. My symptoms usually start with an itchy throat though. If my eyes start to itch really badly I'll wash my hands and then rub them--this rubs the particulates out. Come to think of it though, normal saline drops would probably be more effective.

Oh yeah, but to answer your question: yes I'd just wait until the coughing spells hit. Like take a C and then an allegra, b/c the C will help the immediate problem and then the allegra will kick in and keep you cough free for hours. You might want to look it up though b/c vitamin C will sometimes render a med ineffective.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Sadly you may have to take it every day. My allergies are horrid. I spend over $200 a month on medication. If I don't take it every day I am miserable.

Talk to your doctor about providing you with samples, my doc has been fantastic about helping out.

Also ask your doctor about home remedies that can help you that are inexpensive.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:54 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Cool I have seasonal allergies +

I also take Allegra but only when my symptoms are extreme. I'm not in favor of taking drugs to maintain normalcy ~ only when absolutely necessary and at a minimum

Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times
If you are paying for on label Allegra, ask your pharmacist what your cost would be for the generic fexofenadine. It will be much less expensive.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
You can have your allergist do allergy testing to find out EXACTLY what you are allergic to. If you can pin point exactly what triggers your allergies and it is seasonal then you can take Allegra D only during those times just before it starts. If you happen to be allergic to different things throughout the year then it won't help any and you might have to take it all year.

FYI, ask the pharmacist how much just Allegra would be on your insurance. If that is cheaper then you can ask your doctor about writting your prescription for Allegra and then add otc Sudafed for the D part. It is basically the same thing. Our doctors had us doing that when our insurance would not cover Allegra D but they would Allegra.

Another thing...... if your allergies are not so bad that you need the preventative like Allegra you can always switch to otc allergy meds like Benedryl. Some people it makes sleepy and some it does not. Then when you need the decongestant part you can add Sudafed.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,980 times
I was taking Benedryl every night and Mucinex DM during the day and I've tried Sudafed. They helped really well last year but I seem to be immune to them now because they weren't working anymore.
My only symptom of an allergy is the cough. Maybe a sneeze here and there but nothing like the coughing spells.
The prescription the doctor gave me is for the fex....I forgot how to spell it (or how to say it.)
With my insurance it's $30 a month.
I don't take the Allegra D on the weekends, just on week days and I'm not coughing at all.
You guys have all been so helpful and have given me ideas and things to look into.
I really do appreciate your kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies