Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 PM

360 posts, read 1,532,850 times

Advertisements

You can find them in most health food stores. The brand I have is Nature's Way, but I think there are others. Helped me tremendously when the Santa Ana winds kicked up in SoCal. I have had NO side effects (no drowsiness! ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
When I got my vitamin D levels up my allergies went away almost completely. This is no small matter as I've had really bad allergies all of my life that have on occasion sent me to the ER. The other bonus is that I no longer get colds very much at all and when I do they're mild.

Recently I tested this out by visiting my brother with his 3 cats--I stayed away from there completely for years b/c of the cats and this last time I was able to stay and visit as long as I wanted. I did sneeze once or twice but that was when he picked one up and started to pet it.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
When I got my vitamin D levels up my allergies went away almost completely. This is no small matter as I've had really bad allergies all of my life that have on occasion sent me to the ER. The other bonus is that I no longer get colds very much at all and when I do they're mild.

Recently I tested this out by visiting my brother with his 3 cats--I stayed away from there completely for years b/c of the cats and this last time I was able to stay and visit as long as I wanted. I did sneeze once or twice but that was when he picked one up and started to pet it.
Even people who take a Vitamin D supplement and/or a multi-vitamin that contains D can have dangerously low levels. It's a simple blood test and the prescription supplement needed to bring levels up to what is appropriate is also inexpensive. If you have any doubts, get checked, don't just guess at how much supplement might work for you. Sun doesn't matter that much either; I live in Arizona and had to take huge supplements to get up to speed. Depression, thyroid problems, or allergies are three conditions that are often in tandem with a Vitamin D deficiency.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:52 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
My allergies are in full swing today. I woke up stuff and coughing. My voice is hoarse. I forgot to take my zyrtec yesterday. My friend came over and brought me lilacs and they are the worst for my allergies. Had to put them outside on my porch. This could be the reason I feel awful today. I dd not tell her I am allergic because I did not want to hurt her feelings.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:19 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,282,218 times
Default Nettle tea!!

Stinging nettles contain natural antihistamines and anti-inflammatories that open up constricted bronchial and nasal passages. Good for easing hay fever, and sinus allergy symptoms. As a bonus it is fabulous for your skin, hair, urinary system and plugged full of vitamins. I am addicted to the stuff! I gather them in my garden (carefully with rubber gloves!) and brew it fresh, but the dried form is very good as well and it is one of the few herbs that retains its medicinal properties very well when dried. It tastes lovely - it's very mild - one of the few herbal teas I like!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 AM

43 posts, read 79,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Even people who take a Vitamin D supplement and/or a multi-vitamin that contains D can have dangerously low levels. It's a simple blood test and the prescription supplement needed to bring levels up to what is appropriate is also inexpensive. If you have any doubts, get checked, don't just guess at how much supplement might work for you. Sun doesn't matter that much either; I live in Arizona and had to take huge supplements to get up to speed. Depression, thyroid problems, or allergies are three conditions that are often in tandem with a Vitamin D deficiency.
Please note that the form of Vitamin D to take is D3. I had a less troublesome cedar season this year after taking 5000 units of D3 for a while. I'm still taking it daily but I want to get a blood test to be sure I'm not overdoing it. The right blood test is described here

Vitamin D Council > About vitamin D > Vitamin D deficiency > Am I vitamin D deficient?

Here is a good search for a lot of info on Vitamin D3 and allergies. One of many interesting bits -- turns out that our "friend" sunscreen cream stops the good vit D rays and lets thru the carcinogenic rays

"Vitamin D3" "seasonal allergies" - Google Search

Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 AM

I seemed to still be having some problems with the oak this year. I find that Allegra seems to be the over the counter remedy that works the best for me with the fewest side effects. One of the 12 hour pills every day or two seems to be enough. At times I seem to get enough relief using the Allegena homeopathic drops -- the local Zone 5 combo and the mold mix. No side efffects with those so worth a try.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I use Ocean saline nose spray and take Benadryl.
I still get sore throats and sinus drainage due to my allergy to Oak blooms
Ug, I have the same! That sore throat irritates me the most. It lasts all season.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netpicker9 View Post
Hi,

Every year in spring time I suffer with allergy (Itchy eyes, sneezing) ..

Can any one suggest me good home remedies for these symptoms? I don't want to use allergy medicine (benadryl etc). I tried last year and I fed up with side effects..

ANy ideas? Thanks in advance.
Try NAET treatments. It usually only takes one treatment. Google your state or locale, or nearest city and NAET, and you'll find a practitioner near you. These are not medical treatments. They work somewhat like acupuncture (that's such a broad generalization it's almost meaningless, but it's usually acupuncturists who practice it, so you get the general idea), and it programs your body to not be allergic any more. I got treated years ago after I first moved to NM, and it's like I've been wearing a bullet-proof shield ever since. I'm pollen-proof!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Try NAET treatments. It usually only takes one treatment. Google your state or locale, or nearest city and NAET, and you'll find a practitioner near you. These are not medical treatments. They work somewhat like acupuncture (that's such a broad generalization it's almost meaningless, but it's usually acupuncturists who practice it, so you get the general idea), and it programs your body to not be allergic any more. I got treated years ago after I first moved to NM, and it's like I've been wearing a bullet-proof shield ever since. I'm pollen-proof!
Glad it worked for you -- I wasted a year and a lot of money on NAET
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies