Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times

Advertisements

So....for the second time this year....I've just spend the day in the E/R due to a wasp sting. I'm not just allergic, I go right to the anaphylaxis/trachea-closes-if-not-treated stage.

5 hours later after 3 wide open IV's and multiple doses of Solu-Medrol, Benedryl, Albuterol and Epinephrin, the reaction was finally controlled. I, however, look like I've been in a war....and lost.

I have an Epi-pen and did use it right after being stung. That has always slowed the reaction down long enough for the medics to get to me. I'm worried that one day I might be stung and be more than 10 minutes from medical assistance. I'd be in serious trouble then.

Has anyone had any luck at reducing the severity of a allergy reaction when dealing with a life-threatening allergy? I've heard of allergy shots but have also been told that they sometimes can make the reaction worse!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
My son got systemic hives after a wasp sting. He had the allergy shot treatment for about 2 yrs and he has been fine since. They start off at maybe 1,000,000:1 mixture and slowly give you stronger doses

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
So....for the second time this year....I've just spend the day in the E/R due to a wasp sting. I'm not just allergic, I go right to the anaphylaxis/trachea-closes-if-not-treated stage.

5 hours later after 3 wide open IV's and multiple doses of Solu-Medrol, Benedryl, Albuterol and Epinephrin, the reaction was finally controlled. I, however, look like I've been in a war....and lost.

I have an Epi-pen and did use it right after being stung. That has always slowed the reaction down long enough for the medics to get to me. I'm worried that one day I might be stung and be more than 10 minutes from medical assistance. I'd be in serious trouble then.

Has anyone had any luck at reducing the severity of a allergy reaction when dealing with a life-threatening allergy? I've heard of allergy shots but have also been told that they sometimes can make the reaction worse!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Zinc supplements

Does Zinc Help With Allergies? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My son got systemic hives after a wasp sting. He had the allergy shot treatment for about 2 yrs and he has been fine since. They start off at maybe 1,000,000:1 mixture and slowly give you stronger doses

Thanks Belle. Has he been stung since? How were they able to gage the effectiveness of the shots?

I spoke with an allergist today and have an appointment with him on Friday.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Thanks for responding but I think you don't quite understand what I'm saying here. This isn't hay fever. I don't get a runny nose and watery eyes - my reaction to stings has gone way beyond that. My face and lips balloon and my throat starts to swell shut. In other words, I find myself unable move air in and out of my lungs. If I can't get to a hospital when I'm stung, I would probably die.

Besides, zinc has also been noted as having some very nasty side effects due to varying absorption rates. It is also contrainicated with certain vital heart medications. I appreciate the response but think I'll pass on the zinc.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:52 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,097 times
Bees stings or pollen. A hystamine is a hystamine.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:11 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Bees stings or pollen. A hystamine is a hystamine.
Or a histamine is a histamine,

And NO zinc supplements will NOT aid in preventing LIFE THREATENING ANAPHYLAXIS WHICH IS WHAT THE OP IS TALKING ABOUT.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
VA Cat

I have the same condition, only found out a couple of years ago when I got a wasp sting and had to take a nice ambulance ride to the ED for the same treatment you describe.

I have been getting allergy shots ever since. Started at once a week, 2 years later I am at every 6 weeks for injections.

I have been stung once since starting the immunotherapy and had nothing more than a local reaction to the sting. My leg swelled up but no hives, no anaphylactic reaction, didn't even have to use my Epi Pen.

I would definitely recommend you see a local allergist and discuss this, it can be a life saver.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Thanks Belle. Has he been stung since? How were they able to gage the effectiveness of the shots?

I spoke with an allergist today and have an appointment with him on Friday.
He did get stung a few years later and had a welt but that was it. They keep giving you the lowest dose until it no longer makes your skin red. Then you get the next higher dose until you tolerate it, etc. They make you wait for 30 min as I remember to be sure you don't have a reaction.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Va-Cat: Do you have a good allergist? I get the same reactions from bee stings but my allergist advised against the shots for this particular problem. (For reasons specific to my own allergies.)

However... I did get shots for years and years for other things. Yes. They start out with a small dose and increase it as time goes on. And they do have you sit and wait after you get the shot.

If you have a good allergist he/she can do the skin tests and discuss this with you. Good luck. The "been in a war" sounds familiar. I feel for you. Hang tough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies