Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:27 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I may be inclined to ask for a second opinion on the testing. My son has severe allergies, and there are 2 allergists in the practice we use, both highly regarded, but very different in their allergy management. One doc wanted to do the sensitivity testing in the hospital, and other said we didn't need to as we had proof of the severity of the reaction. Just a thought.
I'll probably do that. I have to admit that I'm not really sure what the sensitivity testing is suppose to do. I mean - I already know what happens when I get stung. I'll ask him tomorrow. I'd prefer not to have to go to the hospital unless its absolutely necessary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Thanks! I have a consult on Friday and will then have to set up an appt for "sensitivity testing" at the hospital. The allergist I'm seeing comes very highly recommended. I'm not thrilled with taking shots but I'm even less thrilled with not being able to breath!
I've had the sensitivity testing done several times over the years. It was always in the allergist's office but I had a couple of reactions that made them go . "We've never seen one that bad."

They were able to treat the reaction to the test right there in the office. I always recommend two opinions, BTW. Two opinions also gives you a chance to see different styles of doctors. Help you determine who you have the most faith in and who you are most comfortable with.

Good luck.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
You may have other allergies that you don't know about. Better to treat them all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:05 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
It's always a good idea to prevent allergic reactions in the first place. Which is EXACTLY what you are ATTEMPTING with your 50% unknown preservative shots.

YOU are in essence asking "what do I do when I catch fire ?"
AND I am saying "don't light yourself on fire in the first place"

If you (or anyone with allergies) supplements with zinc anaphylaxis will be diminished or non existant.

SO, we both know what my answer of zinc was meant to imply.
I honestly had no idea what you meant to imply. Thank you for clarifying your statement. However, I suggest that you read up on what an anaphylactic reaction is, how it occurs and how a person becomes hypersensitive. I believe you will come to agree that your zinc suggestion for a person dealing with a hypersensitive allergic reaction is utter nonsense.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Buy a snake bit kit. Seriously. I got stung by a wasp once, which was immediately very painful. I got out my snake bit kit, and just applied the suction cup to the wasp-sting, and literally within a few seconds, there was absolutely no discomfort at all, ever after. The suction cup effectively drew the toxin out of the sting. If you're that allergic, you might still need medical attention, but the first-aid will give you a lot of wiggle room.

Google /snake bit kit/, you can find them on line for less than ten bucks, or check out sporting goods stores. They are small enough that you can carry one in your purse or pocket. maybe twice as big as your thumb.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:56 AM

665 posts, read 1,727,915 times
Quote:
I honestly had no idea what you meant to imply. Thank you for clarifying your statement. However, I suggest that you read up on what an anaphylactic reaction is, how it occurs and how a person becomes hypersensitive. I believe you will come to agree that your zinc suggestion for a person dealing with a hypersensitive allergic reaction is utter nonsense.

utter nonsense ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00447-0125.pdf

Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
An obscure 35 year old reference from Hong Kong showing a "possible" delay in onset of bronchoconstriction in guinea pigs.....

You certainly have proved your point.....NOT

Old 06-25-2011, 05:47 AM

665 posts, read 1,727,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
An obscure 35 year old reference from Hong Kong showing a "possible" delay in onset of bronchoconstriction in guinea pigs.....

You certainly have proved your point.....NOT

The results of this study PROVE that zinc will prevent the reaction from which the zinc deficient OP suffers.

The fact that it is 35 years old means NOTHING as most of the material taught in medical school is from research much older that 35 years and thought of as the last word.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Take your zinc !

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-25-2011 at 08:57 AM..

Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
The results of this study PROVE that zinc will prevent the reaction from which the zinc deficient OP suffers.

The fact that it is 35 years old means NOTHING as most of the material taught in medical school is from research much older that 35 years and thought of as the last word.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Take your zinc !
The results of that study IMPLY that IF you are a guinea pig and suffer from bronchoconstriction, then taking zinc MIGHT delay the onset of symptoms, but only if you are a guinea pig....

The fact that you had to go back 35 years and there is nothing more recent and most importantly, no research studies showing zinc prevents anaphylaxis in HUMANS proves that your assertion is worthless....

Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 2,841 times
Quote:
So....for the second time this year....I've just spend the day in the E/R due to a wasp sting. I'm not just allergic, I go right to the anaphylaxis/trachea-closes-if-not-treated stage.

5 hours later after 3 wide open IV's and multiple doses of Solu-Medrol, Benedryl, Albuterol and Epinephrin, the reaction was finally controlled. I, however, look like I've been in a war....and lost.

I have an Epi-pen and did use it right after being stung. That has always slowed the reaction down long enough for the medics to get to me. I'm worried that one day I might be stung and be more than 10 minutes from medical assistance. I'd be in serious trouble then.

Has anyone had any luck at reducing the severity of a allergy reaction when dealing with a life-threatening allergy? I've heard of allergy shots but have also been told that they sometimes can make the reaction worse!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
I have the same reaction with fire ants. Used an epipen the second time and it created cardiac issues. Wondering if you started desensitization therapy and if so how is it going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies