Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a question. I am going to basically be injecting myself for allergies after having the ENT's nurse do it for me the past month or so. She gave me a prescription for a syringe size 27G to take with me to the pharmacy. I visited several pharmacies and none have that size or any in stock, but one pharmacy(Walgreens) had it in size 28G. They said it was no big deal and just the diameter of the needle would be a tiny bit smaller. I decided to hold off until i ask my nurse if that is ok. It seems to be common sense that a size smaller wouldn't be a big deal or could i be missing something? Also, at Walmart, the gal told me there really is no need to get a prescription for syringes. She said that they sell boxes of syringes on the store shelves too, but i didn't bother to look. I never realized that. Next time, if i can find out that it is actually cheaper to buy from the store shelves as long as they have the right needle size, i'll probably do it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I bought a box of 27G for my allergy shots at Walmart, got 100 for $18, they ordered it for me.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM

106 posts, read 476,904 times
I have consulted with two allergist and both adviced that the do it at home allergy shots being recommended to people at clinics run by nurse practitioners are not only less effective because the dosage is so much less than going to the clinic, but you are also putting yourself at danger of going into anaphylactic shock and not being near medical help. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I bought a box of 27G for my allergy shots at Walmart, got 100 for $18, they ordered it for me.
So need for doctor's prescription right? Just ask them to order it and then pick them up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo's Mom View Post
I have consulted with two allergist and both adviced that the do it at home allergy shots being recommended to people at clinics run by nurse practitioners are not only less effective because the dosage is so much less than going to the clinic, but you are also putting yourself at danger of going into anaphylactic shock and not being near medical help. Just my 2 cents.
I was told to increase my dosage every week...they have a set schedule...the first 4 weeks the nurse gave me the shots and now i'm going to continue the weekly shots at home increasing the dosage each week...i do have the epinephrine pen with me in case of a anaphylactic shock...i will have a relative giving me my shots....i am near a hospital too just in case.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,199 times
The difference between 27G and 28G is very minimal and should not make a difference. The 28G is slightly smaller than the 27 but if you put the two needles next to each other you can hardly tell. You should do just fine with a 28G needle for your purposes.

Whether you need a prescription or not depends on the laws in your state. Some states require prescriptions while some allow at least some syringes to be sold over the counter. Here in Illinois you can guy up to 20 syringes that are 25G and up without a prescription. The pharmacy should know what the laws are in your state. If your insurance covers syringes it could be cheaper with a prescription.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:59 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
So need for doctor's prescription right? Just ask them to order it and then pick them up?

No prescription needed. very easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies