Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:30 PM

159 posts, read 292,219 times

Advertisements

I have never heard of this...

A lady that I work with says that she is allergic to nuts, salt, chocolate, and many other assorted things... including Epi Pens! She has stated that we are NOT to hit her with an Epi Pen if she has an allergic reaction. The only thing that will treat the reaction is alcohol.. yes, as in drinking an alcoholic beverage. She carries alcohol with her (the clear kind so no one notices, she says..) and if she even smells nuts (reeses for example, because this happened..) she has to take a shot to alleviate the symptoms. She talks about taking shots all the time, even as early as 9am. We went to lunch during a work training and she says shes required to go to a restaurant that has a bar so she could drink in case of reaction to any of the foods. And sure enough she had a margarita (without salt) during our work lunch.
Some of this I would ignore, but we work at a middle school.... its not exactly appropriate behavior and I'm wondering if this will reach a point that I'll need to report it.

I googled this and came across nothing supporting her claim... has any one ever heard of this before?? Or is she trying to pull a fast one on us? I laughed and thought she was joking and she got offended and insists it is true..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 11:07 PM

194 posts, read 252,172 times
Alcohol does not treat life threatening allergic reactions. Its highly unlikely that she is allergic to adrenaline which is used in an EpiPen. Its possible that she might be an alcoholic that needs help & support and using this to justify her drinking

Old 08-23-2014, 11:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname10 View Post
I have never heard of this...

A lady that I work with says that she is allergic to nuts, salt, chocolate, and many other assorted things... including Epi Pens! She has stated that we are NOT to hit her with an Epi Pen if she has an allergic reaction. The only thing that will treat the reaction is alcohol.. yes, as in drinking an alcoholic beverage. She carries alcohol with her (the clear kind so no one notices, she says..) and if she even smells nuts (reeses for example, because this happened..) she has to take a shot to alleviate the symptoms. She talks about taking shots all the time, even as early as 9am. We went to lunch during a work training and she says shes required to go to a restaurant that has a bar so she could drink in case of reaction to any of the foods. And sure enough she had a margarita (without salt) during our work lunch.
Some of this I would ignore, but we work at a middle school.... its not exactly appropriate behavior and I'm wondering if this will reach a point that I'll need to report it.

I googled this and came across nothing supporting her claim... has any one ever heard of this before?? Or is she trying to pull a fast one on us? I laughed and thought she was joking and she got offended and insists it is true..

If I was her employer I would demand a written letter from her Physician regarding this issue.
Actually, I could not be her employer because what we do she cannot drink while working.
At any rate I believe she needs a bit of intervention in regards to this issue and a written document from her Physician to justify her use and possession of alcohol on the job.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Lady has a problem. Alcohol in most cases acerbates allergic conditions. Beer especially since they contain many ingredients that people could be allergic to.
And anyone claiming they need alcohol to control a problem definitely needs Dr approval.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Yeah, nice try work lady.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:16 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,798 times
Why didn't I think of this?! Excellent excuse to drink on the job

Oh yeah...and this is complete crap. I also cannot use EpiPens, and I have NEVER been told by a doctor to do shots instead. I have always been told to go directly to the ER.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I'm sure she is "allergic to a aspirin" too and can only have Oxycontin!

Old 09-07-2014, 11:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,703 times
I'm not much of a drinker, but I do have allergies. I know this sounds crazy, but a glass of wine really helps me when my allergies act up, although I've never done it at work. I drink probably once a week or so. Always one drink.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I'm not much of a drinker, but I do have allergies. I know this sounds crazy, but a glass of wine really helps me when my allergies act up, although I've never done it at work. I drink probably once a week or so. Always one drink.
A glass of wine, shot of liquor or beer will temporarily help cold and allergy symptoms but as you probably is not a treatment to use instead of allergy injections or Claritin.
I thing the lady in question has a drinking problem but I have to admit her insistence on drinking alcohol is impressive!
I have never heard of epinephrine allergy.
My son has wicked food and environmental allergies and there is no way I would treat with any thing less than Epi-pen, hydroxizine, prednisolone and pepcid.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Epinephrine is naturally occurring in the human body, so unless the lady is dead, she speaks mistruths.

In exceedingly rare cases people have reacted to the preservatives in the Epi-Pen, but most of the time when people say they are allergic to Epi-Pen, they are talking about things like heart palpitations, shaking, sweating, or feeling faint, which are all caused by the Epinephrine doing its thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies