Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 04:18 AM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times

Advertisements

I've never had an asthma attack, but after reading about asthma, I think I may have it.

Although most people in my area have sinus problems in spring and autumn, mine persist even in January and July where there's less pollen, and those in spring and especially autumn tend to only flare up above the background levels briefly for a few days. However, flowering for a few plants like Mountain Laurels does tend to go away quickly, and I do live in a climate with very humid summers and mild winters that means no time of year is likely to be nearly pollen-free. I also learned in a PFLAG meeting that depression can sometimes lead to allergies too, so me being autistic, LGBT, adversely affected by cold weather/lower sun/dormant vegetation and socially unlucky in combination could be contributing if that's the case.

I've had mysterious inner ear pressure in my right ear for about 51 months now. I've been to multiple doctors years ago, and they said they saw nothing in my ear canals to be worried about. In addition, mom said she thought I may outgrow it after having a similar situation in her early/mid teens she outgrew, but I was 12 when it started and will be 17 later this week.

I've had drainage in my pharynx since I was 9 or 10, too. It's gone on for so long that I almost never notice, but it's not gotten any better and tends to stay around even if I clear my throat vigorously.

Last but not least, if I run as fast as I can for even a single minute, I get exhausted and take several minutes to recover. This also prevents me from doing much outdoors when it's cold out, as the heat I gain from running dissipates along with some of my original body heat by the time I do catch my breath.

All said, do you think this is some sort of asthma in disguise or just a bad combination of Tennessean pollen allergies, depression allergies, my cold intolerance and me being out of shape? I do not intend for this to be a formal diagnosis and know it couldn't be either way, but I'm just asking what you personally believe it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 12:15 PM

10 posts, read 13,128 times
It might be. Go get it tested.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:34 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I've never had an asthma attack, but after reading about asthma, I think I may have it.

Although most people in my area have sinus problems in spring and autumn, mine persist even in January and July where there's less pollen, and those in spring and especially autumn tend to only flare up above the background levels briefly for a few days. However, flowering for a few plants like Mountain Laurels does tend to go away quickly, and I do live in a climate with very humid summers and mild winters that means no time of year is likely to be nearly pollen-free. I also learned in a PFLAG meeting that depression can sometimes lead to allergies too, so me being autistic, LGBT, adversely affected by cold weather/lower sun/dormant vegetation and socially unlucky in combination could be contributing if that's the case.

I've had mysterious inner ear pressure in my right ear for about 51 months now. I've been to multiple doctors years ago, and they said they saw nothing in my ear canals to be worried about. In addition, mom said she thought I may outgrow it after having a similar situation in her early/mid teens she outgrew, but I was 12 when it started and will be 17 later this week.

I've had drainage in my pharynx since I was 9 or 10, too. It's gone on for so long that I almost never notice, but it's not gotten any better and tends to stay around even if I clear my throat vigorously.

Last but not least, if I run as fast as I can for even a single minute, I get exhausted and take several minutes to recover. This also prevents me from doing much outdoors when it's cold out, as the heat I gain from running dissipates along with some of my original body heat by the time I do catch my breath.

All said, do you think this is some sort of asthma in disguise or just a bad combination of Tennessean pollen allergies, depression allergies, my cold intolerance and me being out of shape? I do not intend for this to be a formal diagnosis and know it couldn't be either way, but I'm just asking what you personally believe it is.
Don't assume you have anything. See a doctor and get tested for allergens. They can also evaluate you for asthma. What some doctor said "years ago" may have little bearing on the present. If you are generally very inactive which it sounds like you are, of course running as fast as you can for a minute is going to leave you exhausted and breathless even if your lungs are perfect!

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-12-2020 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-13-2020, 10:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Our son has allergies and has for almost his entire life. Asthma is, normally caused by allergies. i would go talk to your doctor and see if there is a relationship there between the two.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:20 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
I'll give you a quick "negative," and the suggestion consult with a couple allergists if you really have questions. I'm not you.

In 2014, I couldn't sleep well anymore in my bedroom. Too much night wheezing, starting in October. Clue No. 1 I missed: time of year. I went to an allergist at random. He tested me, give me some of that nasty steroid that cures just about everything, which cured it. Prednisone, that was it (sp?). That cured the wheezing, temporarily. He allergy kitted me and found a mild reaction to cat dander and various other things in the home and outside (some tree stuff too).

He then decided I "had asthma" and put me on a real med for that, at $300/month. Plus an inhaler.

Not mentioned was, "anything odd in your environment." Uh, yes: hadn't changed my furnace filter in years (I know, bad me). Furnace goes on by October. All windows are shut, it's Seattle, and usually not opened until night. Cats sleeping in the bedroom, long hair everywhere. My bedroom was a hothouse of cat fur, jammed up furnace filter blowing dander around, house becomes a somewhat-closed system with vastly reduced air circulation.

Took me a year to figure that out.

Thoroughly de-furred the bedroom. Cleaned linens real well. Weaned off the monthly steroid, was curing a symptom not a real problem and I don't know the long-term problem with being on one. I kept the nasal spray, which has since gone OTC and is sometimes useful when I get sniffles or sneezy due to fur.

I'm on no meds at the moment. I keep the linens fur-free as feasible. I vacuum well and often. Windows open at night, fan blows too, I sleep pretty well in that room most of the time. Moral of story: look at a bigger picture, if something like "allergies" starts suddenly and they say you "have asthma." My allergist blew all that off, he's since retired and didn't care anymore I figured.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:46 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Dust mites are a common allergy and you will have those year round. I am allergic to dust and it can get worse when it is too humid (usually in the summer) and in the winter (too dry) because dust mites thrive outside a pretty narrow humidity range. I DO get an asthma-type reaction when I come into dusty environments- like if I go to the gym at around 8-8:15am, for some reason I feel like I am going to die- but typically I have fewer issues unless it is a vent issue. I am also allergic to cats, but I do not have cats.

I agree with others that it is time to get tested.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:20 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
I had Chronic Bronchitis as a child, and yes, there are allergy related things out there in January and July. Mold and fungi never take vacation. Same with your neighbors cat, and many foods and spices.

As others have said, get a professional opinion. Bear in mind, just like allergies, bronchitis and even asthma can come and go.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:05 AM

1,013 posts, read 725,475 times
I never had serious allergies or asthma until I moved to NC. My primary doctor had me do a simple breathing measurement test, had me use an inhaled steroid, then measured my breathing again. The significant improvement indicated to her that I have asthma. Now I’m on a twice-daily inhaler to help with symptoms. Your doctor can help you with your questions and possibly test you for asthma.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:25 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've talked so much about grape seed extract and asthma being reduced. I don't have the asthma issues but HAD allergy and sinus for much of my long life. Not anymore. Thanks to grape seed extract. And I've also mentioned that a friend who ended up with an onset of asthma later in her life and ended up on the drug routine and inhalers and cutting out so many foods she tested negative for. Since on Grape Seed Ex and I want to say about 10 yrs for her, she is so improved, still uses an inhaler but much less....I have not seen her for some time now and don't know if she still takes any drugs.

https://www.emaxhealth.com/11631/gra...eatment-asthma

Then there is Vit C for asthma reduction as well. Grape Seed is 50 x's more effective than C.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've talked so much about grape seed extract and asthma being reduced. I don't have the asthma issues but HAD allergy and sinus for much of my long life. Not anymore. Thanks to grape seed extract. And I've also mentioned that a friend who ended up with an onset of asthma later in her life and ended up on the drug routine and inhalers and cutting out so many foods she tested negative for. Since on Grape Seed Ex and I want to say about 10 yrs for her, she is so improved, still uses an inhaler but much less....I have not seen her for some time now and don't know if she still takes any drugs.

https://www.emaxhealth.com/11631/gra...eatment-asthma

Then there is Vit C for asthma reduction as well. Grape Seed is 50 x's more effective than C.
I didn't know about that! I'm not sure how I could get it, whether it's legal here and whether mom would be OK with it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies