Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 01:51 PM

450 posts, read 5,022,833 times

Advertisements

I am a woman in my early 30's, and I have never had allergies or asthma. This spring, however, I have developed what I believe are seasonal allergies. I have: a stuffy nose/nasal congestion/feels like my nasal passages are inflamed, irritated nose, scratchy throat, chest tightness/feels like I have difficulty breathing, sneezing, and dry eyes. My symptoms started one week ago and have not changed at all. Also, the symptoms are the same either going out or staying indoors.

I can't believe I may have allergies! I thought it is unusual to develop them in one's 30's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM

304 posts, read 904,620 times
I'm having a terrible time with a constant cough from my itchy throat, but it's been going on since around November. On Monday I bought Prilosec and Zyrtec and it is helping. I have acid reflux sometimes too, so am trying to heal my throat if that's the problem. Try the Zyrtec

Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Here's my story. I had no allergies until I was in my mid-20s, then would get allergies for 2-3 weeks, in April. Then I moved from NJ to MO. Had no allergy symptoms my first two years here, but this year I am definitely having allergies. Started about a week ago.
For me, being inside helps, especially at work, where the building is basically closed up with the a/c on. Claritin helps too.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:15 PM

I find that being outside and being inside produce the same level of symptoms. Is that peculiar?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:57 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,683 times
I came to DC at the age of 20 with no allergies to anything in the air. Eight years later, when I was having trouble similar to yours, I visited the dr who suspected allergies. Testing revealed that I had become allergic to dust, mold, trees, pollen, etc. The doc said it was not unusual for people to develop allergies after spending significant time in D.C. I took a couple years of allergy shots, which helped, but remain quite allergic. We have air cleaners in rooms where we spend the most time, were careful to buy a home without carpet, and do our best to avoid practices that invite dust, mold, etc.

You can distinguish a cold from allergies by the nature of the mucus. I dont want to gross anyone out so just google it.

Allergies are not fun but can be managed with a little effort. Welcome to the club.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
The doc said it was not unusual for people to develop allergies after spending significant time in D.C.
Why is this? What reason did he give--I'm curious since that's where I live too! Personally, I think DC is a very clean city compared to some other cities I've lived in.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 AM

174 posts, read 488,442 times
I'm 30 going on 31 soon and I just developed these allergies too. I moved from one city to another and it's bad! Like you I have allergies indoors and outdoors. It's really frustrating when there's nothing I can do. I started taking zyrtec.. it helped a little but not enough. I just started alavert-d and we'll see how that works. if it doesn't work well the doctor is my next step.

where do you live?
are you taking any meds?

Old 05-08-2010, 05:43 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
I used to be allergic to loads of things, the majority of which, I don’t seem to be allergic to anymore.
Firstly, it is often not just the thing that you are allergic to that is the problem.
You need to look at your whole situation, there are many things that can make your sensitivity to allergens worse.

Even if you have developed a resistance to certain allergens, such as pollen, there are always new ones coming along, (every time a plant crosses with another, the new plant’s pollen has a different structure).
I have found that household cleaners, traffic fumes, aerosol deodorants, air fresheners, insecticides such as fly spray, and especially hair spray, exacerbate the problem. I avoid these as much as possible now.

Also, I have changed my diet quite a lot, to include more fresh vegetables and fruit, or fruit juice.
These are just observations, but I can say that I used to be a chronic Asthmatic, and had to take loads of medication, but am drug free now.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
The pollen is very bad this year. None of us have allergies but we are all feeling it. I've had the windows open; you would not believe the amount of pollen that came in the house. Take a white washcloth to your counters, furniture, where ever to see if pollen is all over it.

We had to close the windows & put the AC on even though it's been beautiful out because the pollen comes in as fast as I can clean it. I was wiping off my daughters dresser with the windows open, guess what? I no sooner start the vac and there is pollen on the dresser again.

Vac'ing the house with my Dyson; it's loaded with pollen.

I can feel the pollen under my eye lids like sand paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies