Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times

Advertisements

I think the Aura Cacia brand is available at CVS and Whole Foods. I like it fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I think the Aura Cacia brand is available at CVS and Whole Foods. I like it fine.
I'll have to check out Whole Foods...GNC has an alright selection...but still lacking a bit.

As for the Aura Cacia brand goes, I've only seen Lavender, Peppermint, and Eucalyptus on shelves...none of the fun stuff!

I'm ok w/ buying online, but would really like to be able to experience them first...

Last edited by D217; 08-01-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 04:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
1. carterii. Also, frankincense essential oil is not thick. It's actually very thin, and has a very pale amber hue. It is steam distilled from the sap of the tree.

2. Aura cacia should be fine for general use, however if you're looking specifically for medicinal use (except for tea tree), you'd probably want a brand that offers wildcrafted and/or certified organic and/or can provide mass gas spectrometer readings on their oils. But if you're using it that seriously you'd be delving into the realms of organic chemistry, which is a pretty intense study. Tea tree is an exception, as long as the oil you're getting is from Australia because that country has tight controls over the quality.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:34 PM

My Whole Foods has an entire line of Aura Cacia. Maybe talk to the buyer?

Simplers is also a good brand (and organic) that can be found in health food stores. They also have a very extensive line.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 AM

Simpler's looks like a great product line on their website. Only concern is the price. According to their site, their Australian sandalwood is $38.06 for .5ml (half a millimeter, or, approximately .02 oz).

The wholesale price for Australian sandalwood, in small quantity would be $2.25 for .02 oz, which is approximately .5ml.

So Simplers is charging more than 11 times higher for their product than the same product I'm getting wholesale directly from the importer.

Also, Simplers' selection is pretty limited*. But if you're only buying one or two things, and don't intend to use any of it very often, then judging from its information on the website you'll find high quality oils.

*It's limited, compared to the variety and variations of oils that are produced and sold in the USA, in general. Compared to Aura Cadia, Simpler's is certainly far more extensive.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM

I am no expert on Sandlewood, but where I live, the price has been exorbitant for a couple of years or more . . .I was told it has to do with the politics of logging and clear cutting in India, etc.

I personally would be suspicious of any Sandlewood that was not high priced at this time.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. carterii. Also, frankincense essential oil is not thick. It's actually very thin, and has a very pale amber hue. It is steam distilled from the sap of the tree.
Ahh, I already ordered some of the serrata yesterday!
Oh well, live and learn...haha.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am no expert on Sandlewood, but where I live, the price has been exorbitant for a couple of years or more . . .I was told it has to do with the politics of logging and clear cutting in India, etc.

I personally would be suspicious of any Sandlewood that was not high priced at this time.
You're thinking of Sandalwood from India (santalum album). But the Australian sandalwood (santalum picatum) isn't from India. It's from Australia, and is therefore much less expensive to produce and less expensive to buy.

I was comparing the cost of Australian sandalwood from Simpler's, to the Australia sandalwood from the importer. The Indian sandalwood costs me $4.25 for .02 ounce, and Simpler's doesn't even offer it.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Normally, when people use the word seratta, they're referring to the gum resin. And the carteri usually refers to the oil distilled from the resin. If it's an oil extracted from boswellia seratta, then it's probably f. carteri. You should be fine. It has a fresh, but deep scent. You can use the fumes from the bottle as an inhalation for asthma (I've posted about that on another thread), and it is also extremely helpful for meditation. It has other medical uses, but I've never used it for those things and I don't study Ayurvedic medicine so you'd have to check for yourself on that.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Normally, when people use the word seratta, they're referring to the gum resin. And the carteri usually refers to the oil distilled from the resin. If it's an oil extracted from boswellia seratta, then it's probably f. carteri. You should be fine. It has a fresh, but deep scent. You can use the fumes from the bottle as an inhalation for asthma (I've posted about that on another thread), and it is also extremely helpful for meditation. .
Ok thanks. Yeah I was not sure the difference, but they both claimed to be 100% pure therepeutic grade essential oil...And the price was right, 1oz for around $18. I believe the brand was Eden's Garden.

I've also ordered some Myrrh. I seem to be really hooked on this combo lately.

I actually remember you mentioning Frankincense in another thread. It sparked my interest, so I've been doing alot of reading since then!

Thanks again for all your insight so far. Incredibly helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine