Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,059 times

Advertisements

I used the word 'tincture' because that's the nearest [and indeed, most precise] English word.

My first encounter with Knoblauchschnapps occurred in '86 when I and a colleague (with similar last names) had been double-booked into a guest house operated by Frau Marta Kuschmierz in Oberammergau.

Sqn Ldr Paul W and Sqn Ldr Ernie W had been double-booked into one of Tante Marta's rooms - as we found out at about 2am when Ernie blundered into my room. No problem - there were 2 beds.

The next morning, poor old Marta was beside herself!

We managed to persuade her that we didn't mind sharing a room and (the fact that we both spoke German so we weren't 'ordinary' tourists helped) we decided to let things stay 'as they were.' So we became 'family' (and in that part of the world there is a huge difference between 'Urlaubsmachern' und 'Familien'.

That night Ernie and I 'tied one on' at a 'Meet and Greet' and the next morning Tante Marta gave us Knoblauchschnapps for breakfast.

She nearly bloody killed me!

That was my first visit to Oberbayern. (I now live in Oberau, about 10 miles away - 2 doors down from where Sepp Daisenberger [the guy who started the Passion Play) used to live.

When Ernie and I stayed t Marta#s house, we were treated as 'honoured guests'

I've never ever been treated so well anywhere. Not even when I was a child at home.

Marta (in her early 80's) used to check us before we were allowed to go to work in the morning. She'd put our coats (Military greatcoats, weighing 25lb each) on, make sure the buttons were done up, check we'd got our hats, check we'd got our gloves and complain that we didn't have scarves!

You can't allow the children to go out in winter weather without checking they're dressed properly! (Even if they are both 36 years old.

I was there for a month. An Idyllic life.

(I now live in a village 10 miles South of O'gau.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
german tv sometimes the breakfast programs shows old style homemade german remedies

Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I wish we had these things available and encouraged in the United States as they are in Germany! American medicine is so driven by big pharmaceutical companies who have only profits in mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine