Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 AM

62 posts, read 138,431 times

Advertisements

Hi! I use this forum for lot's of things and thought I'd pass on some possibly helpful info. I could not sleep all night on Thursday because of a bad earache (probably swimmers ear from being in ocean and pool at Myrtle Beach). I went to my doctor on Friday morning, he prescribed Medmycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Hyddrocortisone Otic Solution, USP drops for the ear. My ear remained in the type of pain that hurts all the time and is unbearable when you walk and chew. So last night at 2 a.m. I go to Harris Teeter and bought garlic, because read online that it can help get rid of fungus. Sure enough after sleeping with a garlic clove in my ear, the pain has cut in half! I read to keep garlic clove big enough so will not go into ear canal. Soon I'll be at Central Church of God smelling like what else . . . garlic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,943 times
I have tried fresh Basil. It works pretty well.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:33 AM

531 posts, read 1,079,246 times
It works but be careful with Infections

I believe there is field of study called Ayurvedic that uses natural remedies.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 PM

62 posts, read 138,431 times
I did 2 nights with garlic in my ear. I am continuing using the antibiotic drops too. It still hurts a little and I am deaf in one ear . . . thinking of going back to the doctor, but don't really have the time or money . . . any suggestions?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM

178 posts, read 355,321 times
no doubt garlic is very effective in releasing ear ache and infections and can be employed in a number of ways. You can use garlic oil (which is made by garlic infused in olive oil) as ear drops. also onion , cinnamon oil are another home remedies used to ease ear ache..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpearl View Post
no doubt garlic is very effective in releasing ear ache and infections and can be employed in a number of ways. You can use garlic oil (which is made by garlic infused in olive oil) as ear drops. also onion , cinnamon oil are another home remedies used to ease ear ache..
No, never ever put cinnamon oil in your ear. In fact, you shouldn't ever apply cinnamon oil directly to your skin unless it's in a very weak dilution (such as, 1 drop per 100 of carrier oil). Undiluted cinnamon oil can burn skin.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,059 times
Garlic keeps the vampires away. too.

(I'm not joking! - That includes the little ones which make the high-pitched whining noise!)

The only mosquitoes which bite are freshly-mated female mosquitoes. They don't bite you because they don't like you, they bite you because they need toe protein to develop the eggs they're going to lay and your blood would be a good source of protein.

There may well have been - at one time in the politically-correct past - hordes of vegetarian mosquitoes, but they became extinct because they couldn't get enough protein from the average carrot to allow them to develop even one egg.

If you eat a whole bulb of garlic a day (I do because I happen to like garlic -.. you don't have to eat quite that much ) then you will smell of garlic.

If freshly-mated female mosquito (and there is no shortage) smells you, then - as far as she's concerned - you're an 'effing vegetable' and you're not worth wasting time on.

'West Nile Disease' (endemic in mosquitoes and American Robins) kills a number of people each year. (A tiny number, when you 'work the stats' using the number of people who have (probably) been bitten.

CDC recommend that if you don't want to get West Nile, you don't get bitten by mosquitoes.

Garlic, anybody?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
I sometimes use fresh garlic inserted into the ear for when ear infection just starts say in the weekend but I also use Rx antibiotic eardrops from my dr.( Never ignore ear issues my MIL ended up deaf in one ear due to ignored ear infection.)

Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,059 times
In Bayern, we have a 'tincture of garlic'.

First you get a litre (about a quart) of doppel-gebrannt Schnapps from the Schnapps Brenner (the local booze-maker.)

Get half a kilo (about a pound) of garlic and a glass.

Fill the glass with Schnapps.

Start peeling the Knoblauch.

Start drinking the schnapps.

Chop the Knoblauch.

Keep drinking the Schnapps.

Put the chopped Knoblauch in the Schnapps and re-cork the bottle.

Empty the glass.

3 months later you will have a tincture of garlic which will either kill or cure anything.

(If you drink it, your breath will remove paint at about 3 feet, too. )

Garlic is wondrous stuff.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
I make all sorts of herbal tinctures but have never made garlic tincture. Next time I travel to Germany I will get the Schnapps. I use Vodka for my tinctures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine