Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandnativegal View Post
Does anyone have any home remedies for heartburn? Antacids don't really work for me.
Antacids turn acids into a base, if you are chewing on an antacid like Tums or Rolaids the burning should disappear within 30 seconds,if it doesnt you got other problems that need to be looked at by a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If you take an antacid, your body will only produce more hydrochloric acid to compensate for the ph of the stomach being increased.

20yrsinBranson
That doesn't happen. Almost everyone who takes an antacid gets relief and quickly. Again it comes back to diet.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
That doesn't happen. Almost everyone who takes an antacid gets relief and quickly. Again it comes back to diet.
Antacid Side Effects | Natural Health Techniques

I guess you think I make this stuff up or something.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-25-2012, 07:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
That website belongs to a woman who calls herself a naturopath, has no actual medical training, claims to be a veterinarian but the link to her CV (resume) directs you to a blurry news article about her being at home in the countryside in Idaho. Her biography is scattered and flits from idea to idea with no real coherency; she is clearly not well-written. There is nothing in her CV or her own long or short biography (she provides both) that indicates any education, of any kind, in nutrition.

She does, however, do face readings, and promotes the "eat right for your blood type" diet, and the "zone" diet, both of which are basically nothing more than fad diets with no basis in science.

She claims to do diagnoses over the phone, just by answering some questions (including your blood type), for a mere $285 per appointment. Including muscle testing - and prescribe the appropriate products (which she happens to sell).

In short, she's a bonafide, died in the wood, snake-oil selling, grade A #1 quack.

If she says something, chances are, it's not true. If she told me the sky was blue, I'd take a look out the window just to be sure.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:17 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
So you take ACID to dilute or neutralize ACID?
You can say that because you go with the mainstream that thinks that "acid reflux" or hearburn is always caused by "excess" stomach acid when the TRUTH the majority of times is the exact opposite, and the "acid" that people taste is the UNDIGESTED food fermenting in their stomachs! A lot of people over 40 have low stomach acid and that's easily explained when one understands nutrition and then realizes that many of the nutrients necessary for the manufacture of hydrochloric acid are NOT abundant in most people's diets. And with poor absorption a cycle of less acid and more indigestion is created. One cannot expect doctors to know all that because it's NOT taught in medical schools, plain and simple. They hand out all those prescription drugs that actually do more HARM than good because they mostly know what the pharmaceutical reps tell them when they pitch their drugs (and offer them perks to prescribe them...), and make NO mistake, to them (the reps) it's a business, they're not "Mother Theresa", so even well-intentioned doctors can be misled.

Therefore, if you can grasp the concept that there "might" not be enough acid in a person's stomach then taking ACV will perhaps make sense to you, but if it still doesn't I cannot help you with that!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Antacid Side Effects | Natural Health Techniques

I guess you think I make this stuff up or something.

20yrsinBranson
Where is the research to back these claims? All antacids (Tums etc) are is calcium and a harmless binder. If you're talking about the priscription antacids, problems have been know for awhile and they're no secret. Lack of stomach acid doesn't cause heartburn and GERD or cancer of the esophagus. The damage and pain are caused by excess acid. The priscription antacids are not recommended for forever use. The OTC antacids like Tums cause no harm and the calcium may even be helpful to those on the average poor American diet.

Where is the independent research for this crazy claim below?

"Food that is not digested due to a lack of stomach acid does not pass easily into your small intestine. It sits in your stomach and ferments."

Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That website belongs to a woman who calls herself a naturopath, has no actual medical training, claims to be a veterinarian but the link to her CV (resume) directs you to a blurry news article about her being at home in the countryside in Idaho. Her biography is scattered and flits from idea to idea with no real coherency; she is clearly not well-written. There is nothing in her CV or her own long or short biography (she provides both) that indicates any education, of any kind, in nutrition.
The dead giveaway of quackery is her claim that heartBURN is caused by a lack of stomach acid. I doubt she's even a lic Veterinarian. These are the quacks the gullible believe and want to quote.

Quote:
She does, however, do face readings, and promotes the "eat right for your blood type" diet, and the "zone" diet, both of which are basically nothing more than fad diets with no basis in science.

She claims to do diagnoses over the phone, just by answering some questions (including your blood type), for a mere $285 per appointment. Including muscle testing - and prescribe the appropriate products (which she happens to sell).
There you go! And you can be sure fools and the gullible will pay her and buy her wares.

Quote:
In short, she's a bonafide, died in the wood, snake-oil selling, grade A #1 quack.

If she says something, chances are, it's not true. If she told me the sky was blue, I'd take a look out the window just to be sure.
You got that right.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
You can say that because you go with the mainstream that thinks that "acid reflux" or hearburn is always caused by "excess" stomach acid when the TRUTH the majority of times is the exact opposite, and the "acid" that people taste is the UNDIGESTED food fermenting in their stomachs!

Where is the independant research to prove this? The fact that a change in diet or Tums and prescription antacids helps the vast majority of sufferers proves it's excess acid. Why are you quoting a quack with wares to sell?

Quote:
A lot of people over 40 have low stomach acid and that's easily explained when one understands nutrition and then realizes that many of the nutrients necessary for the manufacture of hydrochloric acid are NOT abundant in most people's diets. And with poor absorption a cycle of less acid and more indigestion is created. One cannot expect doctors to know all that because it's NOT taught in medical schools, plain and simple.
Yes it is. What medical school did you get your MD degree in that failed to teach this?

Quote:
They hand out all those prescription drugs that actually do more HARM than good because they mostly know what the pharmaceutical reps tell them when they pitch their drugs (and offer them perks to prescribe them...), and make NO mistake, to them (the reps) it's a business, they're not "Mother Theresa", so even well-intentioned doctors can be misled.
You need to learn about human digestion and stomach acids. you also need to learn that they don't hand out Tums, though most Drs will recommend them and a diet change before prescribing priscription meds for heartburn or mild GERD.

Quote:
Therefore, if you can grasp the concept that there "might" not be enough acid in a person's stomach then taking ACV will perhaps make sense to you, but if it still doesn't I cannot help you with that!
You cannot help anyone because your claims are nothing more than what's found on many quack sites peddling alt med wares by non-medical Drs or genuine Nutritionists.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:07 AM

910 posts, read 2,292,681 times
Wouldn't you love it that I engaged in an argument with you? But this is NOT a debate forum, and I do NOT have to prove anything to you or any of the square-headed people who can't understand anything other than the dogma they've been brain-washed with.

If you're so convinced of what you're saying, if you think the truth is on your side, why get your shorts all in a wad because some of us disagree with you??? Are you so insecure that you come unhinged because of that?!

Don't tell me what I "need" to learn, I could tell you the same thing... It's ONLY your opinion, and YOU are nothing but a stranger here! I did not say that doctors hand out Tums, so perhaps you need to learn how to read.

I may not have gone to medical school but a couple of good friends have and they have told me so so I believe them.

I have news for you, it's not up to you to decide who I can help or not, it's up to every FREE individual to decide what they want to consider or not, I don't have anything to gain or lose either way. Now please go and calm yourself down before you give yourself a stroke!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post

If you're so convinced of what you're saying, if you think the truth is on your side, why get your shorts all in a wad because some of us disagree with you??? Are you so insecure that you come unhinged because of that?!
...(snip)...

I have news for you, it's not up to you to decide who I can help or not, it's up to every FREE individual to decide what they want to consider or not, I don't have anything to gain or lose either way. Now please go and calm yourself down before you give yourself a stroke!
We are wadding our panties because there are a lot of crackpots on this website who are shills for quack and fraudulent products and "doctors" (I use the word VERY loosely), who know that there are also a lot of idiots and gullible, desperate people reading this website who are hoping beyond hope that someone will lead them to a cure-all for everything that ails them.

If those people rejected what has been *proven medically and scientifically* to be effective, and substituted those things for the snake oil (which they would, because we've already established they're idiots, gullible, and/or desperate), they would end up in worse shape than they're in now. And then WE would be responsible, for not making sure they were aware that they are reading a whole lot of pseudo-scientific fiction.

Every time one of you posts a piece of tripe, someone else is GOING to call you out on it. Accept that, or move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine