Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 PM

89 posts, read 204,666 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any home remedies for heartburn? Antacids don't really work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 AM

22,694 posts, read 24,718,492 times
Take a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it very well into 2-3 ounces of water...drink down....YUM. I use baking soda and also take H2 blockers.....they both work great for me.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is an antacid. If the OP says antacids aren't working for her, then sodium bicarb won't work for her. It means she's already tried it (usual commercial over the counter antacids contain either calcium carbonate or sodium carbonate).

I'm thinking, if they're not working for her, she might not have heartburn. She might have something else wrong that needs medical attention. Simple acid indigestion (aka heartburn) responds to antacids.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,773,150 times
I know those with great success using DGL (deglycyrrhizinated) licorice- must be this type since regular licorice can raise blood pressure.

Dr. Andrew Weil highly recommends it for heartburn, acid reflux, GERD,ulcers & gastritis.

There is a german chocolate flavor that is easiest to chew, since it must mix with saliva to work, available at health food stores or online.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM

22,694 posts, read 24,718,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is an antacid. If the OP says antacids aren't working for her, then sodium bicarb won't work for her. It means she's already tried it (usual commercial over the counter antacids contain either calcium carbonate or sodium carbonate).

I'm thinking, if they're not working for her, she might not have heartburn. She might have something else wrong that needs medical attention. Simple acid indigestion (aka heartburn) responds to antacids.

Ok, I have GERD and Calcium is next to worthless..........baking soda on the other hand works great.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM

910 posts, read 2,298,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandnativegal View Post
Does anyone have any home remedies for heartburn? Antacids don't really work for me.
Sometimes heartburn is not really due to excess stomach acid but the exact opposite, the reflux/sourness we feel is just the undigested food fermenting in our stomachs. Most people over 40 have low stomach acid so the regular use of any antacid is actually not a good thing. Poor food combining and/or overeating are some of the other reasons for heartburn, both of which I've experienced. I keep digestive enzymes at home so when this starts to happen I just have them with my meals; if a person is unsure whether they produce enough acid or not it's best to try something mild like chewable papaya enzymes, they do not contain Betaine Hydrochloride which could make heartburn worse for people who do secrete sufficient hydrochloric acid. Also, in my case, when heartburn persists I remember what my grandmother said about a "estomago sucio", she meant we'd been eating too much junk (overwhelming the stomach) and it was time to take a purgative. I don't do that but instead just give my digestive system a rest, and for a day or two I go on simpler foods (i.e., eliminating or drastically cutting down starches, reducing fats and increasing veggies and water intake). I usually eat some yogurt too because keeping our friendly bacteria healthy helps the entire digestive process. In fact, I just went through a period like that last week and I'm now fine.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,046,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandnativegal View Post
I control mine with diet alone. I gave up highly spiced foods and refined carbs. No more heartburn.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 AM

335 posts, read 335,828 times
First, see a doctor. Persistent heartburn not relieved by antacids can be caused by a condition known as Barrett's Esophagus, which in turn often leads to esophageal cancer. This is a common cancer in China and seems to be increasing in the states.

Omeprazole, now available over the counter, should be tried. If this doesn't work, an endoscopy may be in order (although there has recently been noise that these procedures are done too often).

Omeprazole has its own set of problems, although limited to long-term users and it seems not as bad as first suggested.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,038,979 times
It's not for immediate symptom relief, but a good tonic for the digestive system is powdered slippery elm bark. A teaspoon mixed in water or juice once a day is soothing to the inner surface of the stomach and intestines.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,046,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
It's not for immediate symptom relief, but a good tonic for the digestive system is powdered slippery elm bark. A teaspoon mixed in water or juice once a day is soothing to the inner surface of the stomach and intestines.
But the burning and pain and eventual damage is in the throat, the esophagus, not the stomach or intestines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine